• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what wheels are these...

chevycrew

the dash plate says its an 1954 m35w/wv (i think the wv is right) We found a dump bed near it, painted the same color, it has the rear pto shaft for the dump bed as well. It is currently running super singles, hubs flipped. tire size is 12.00-20. The wheels shown in the pic are on the rear axles as well.

I have done searches, cant find anything on a m35w.

I can't find any info on the wheels as well.

Does anyone know if these wheels are original, or what they came off of? Or can point me in the right direction?

If its worth it, Ill drag this thing home with me.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
thay are combat rims, i would guess very rare for a deuce, i have seen pics of early deuces both gmc and the reo series out fitted with these, but never have seen any first hand on one of these trucks

YES its worth draging home, all green iron no matter what the top coat of paint is is worth draging home , just ask some of us who have a backyard of worth it drag home stuff, you can never have enough green iron

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CC,
I guess ya gotta ask yourself two questions. How much? And - Will my wife throw a fit or not?

How much is this puppy? I am currently looking at a 1952 M35 w/w (look at the Fire Truck M35 thread here). It is also a gasser. I LOVE those wheels. I've got the wife to agree, but I have to figure out where to park it (long story).

WE LOVE PIX. Keep us informed.

jim

chevycrew

Wife is very understanding, and price should be around $500.

Would these wheels be the same width as the standard wheels? Any clue?

what I know about it...

gasser, no bed, no tranny, everything for the winch is there, pto is intact with shafts even tho tranny is gone.

combat wheels, hubs flipped, super singles

Just doesnt seem common as far as everything I have seen.

I forgot to look for axle tags to find out what kind of shafts are in it. Anyone know what style of shafts the 1954's had?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The blue one looks to have a fiberglass top. Excellent price on those trucks. Deuce winch kits hover in the area of a grand.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
As others have noted - the wheels are combat wheels - listed in the ORD 9, and seen on pilot (1949-50) models. Not used on any production M34-35 trucks. Tire mounting is unlike the normal split ring rim. As Jeff pointed out, they are normally associated with artillery during the post WWII-era.

The yellow truck did not leave the factory with a dump bed - since from what you say at one time one was installed on this truck - make sure that the frame/crossmembers was not butchered to do this.

My inclination, if they were nearby, would be buy them both, mount the winch on the blue one, and use the yellow one as a parts truck - or part it out to recoup part of your cost.

Regards,
David Doyle

chevycrew

In addition to the 2 pictures shown, we were able to locate 2 others in the area as well.

1953 m35, rough shape, no bed, cut and extended frame. Price unkown.

1952 m34w, winch removed, frame extensions still in place, supposedly rebuilt motor with 100hrs. Frame has also been cut and extended. $500

So these are all 300 plus miles from home.

Blue one should be good, Yellow needs a donor tranny. No beds on any.

Which means, 4 trucks, 300 miles from home. Snow is about to get deep here.

But back on topic, any ideas how wide the combat wheels are? I have 16.00-20's tires at home...Think they are wide enough?

chevycrew

I knew the stock deuce wheels were 7" wide, and the 16.00r20 took a 10" wide wheel. I was hoping the these combat wheels were a little wider. They look wider considering they have 12.00r20 on them now and the tires are not sucked in much at the sidewall.

well oh well, would these be worth widening? or get custom wheels?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i would not widen the combat rims, as these are sorta rare, would look good on a singled out deuce

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am looking at a 52 Deuce. Gasser.

So, two questions.

Where did you find your 53 REO? I was 'manufactured' and debuted to the world in 1953 also.

If you do purchase the truck and you do decide to sell the wheels, I might be interested, depending on the price you want.

And I concur. These wheels would great as super singles on an older deuce.

You are in Boise. My wifes sisters family lives in Meridian. So, 300 miles away is where? Pocatello? SLC? Coeur d' Alene or Lewiston? Not that it really matters, as I would rather depend on your purchasing this as anyone else I know in that area. You either do or do NOT have the green iron disease. You do. They don't.

jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks