• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What will your deuce pull?

Chanhyx

What's up guys, Kinda new to deuces but have a bit of mechanical knowledge(just enough to get me in trouble) but anyway I am planning to use my deuce to pull my escavator on a 10 ton tag along trailer, electric brakes,(read the threads about 24-12 volt wiring for elctri brake wiring) The escavator weighs right at 17,000 pounds do you think my deuce is up to the task?
It has a continental multifuel with a non-whistler turbo I think it's a c but I might have a D on my other deuce parts truck, It runs strong and the brakes seem firm, waiting on the manual to get here from e-bay, I saw the thread on the main page about the manuals, Thanks who-ever it was that posted it,
This site is a wealth of knowledge and has already helped me immensly
Thanks again guys
Monty
Gonna try to attach a pic of swapping beds should show the escavator

Attachments

acetomatoco

Maximun allowable towed load is shown on the dash data plates and in the manual you have coming... Realistically you need a 5 ton with Cummins minimum to do the job at hand...

Chanhyx

The first post was a little shoddy so I'll go into more depth, I have attained 3 deuces, The frst one is pretty nice, supersingles, hardtop, heat, whistler turbo ,runs great but needs some brake work, I just got an airpack rebuild kit from white owl so thats the next task for that one, once the brakes and lights are all straight she's gonna be for sale, The truck I'm going to use to pull the escavator is in fair conditiion, brakes are solid , a good running truck non-whistler turbo a few lighting electrical issues but I think i can figure it out. The third truck has no title but has what looks to be a never fired refurbished continental multifuel Probly the best body of the 3 as far as corrosion goes but someone already started robbing parts from it, it could probably be put back to good running order with a lil bit of money but not sure what to do as far as not having a title. Thoght about bobbing it kinda kickin ideas around wouldn't mind having two though If i could get a title. I hope this gives a lil more info and thanks to lee houdel for the lug nut sockets they work great!!!

Attachments

jasonjc

The deuce is rated for only 6,000lbs tow load. 17,000lbs escavator + 5-6,000lbs for the trailer you are looking at 22,000-23,000lbs.
I think you need a 5 ton at least.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've towed 20,000# with my old deuce tractor. It's a slow go but it gets the job done. Check with Westfolk, he's done considerably more but do it in a PM or you will get roasted here. Are you going to scrap one of the beds? I'm shopping for 2 small parts from a dropside and I see that one has a door carved in the side. FWIW, deuce tractors are rated to tow 36,000#

cbvet

I towed around 28,000 with my non-turbo Deuce. Did pretty well, but slow going.
Only had to go 40 miles, so it wasn't that bad.Trailer had air brakes working.
I don't doubt the truck could do it, as long as you're in no hurry.
Eric
CBVET

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've towed 20,000lbs 350 miles. Deuce didn't care, just REALLY slow on the hills. Dash says 10,000lbs on road. The only difference between a deuce tractor that tows 36,000 lbs, and a regular deuce that tows 10,000 lbs, is the hitch. Both have the same pintle hitch, just one has a 5th wheel on it.

If diesel 1 ton can tow 17,000+, can't see why a deuce with those massive axles and drive train can't do the same.

With all that said, if I was regularly towing over 15,000, would seriously look at a 5-ton. With the power steering and cummins, they are better suited for the job.

Dennis

gunner01

I have had 58k between bed of truck and trailer. see pics in owner rides.... I haul a 26k fork lift with my deuce I use a triple axle trailer that is rated at 30k.. you should have no problem hauling that miniexcavator with your deuce..also be sure to check the weight of that miniex cuz 17k sounds a little bit high mine weighs in at 11980lbs... good luck

BSH

RE: contest

Don't forget, if your truck's data and specs say it's rated to tow 10,000 pounds, and you tow 20, your insurance company will screw you over if you get in trouble. Count on it. The truck can certainly handle more than the lawyers can. ;)

ygmir

I'd think towing is not so much the problem or question, it'll tow a lot, albiet slowly.
I'd think the real concern would be stopping............
As long as you're confident in the trailers ability to stop it'self, and, you have plenty of tongue weight, you should be ok.......
But,
If the trailer brakes fail, can you stop it with just the truck.........?
If you're going slow enough, sure........
good luck

I have watching to see if any gas burning deuce's sound off . my 53 m211 changed to a m221 . runs very well with 130 horse power I pulled my m269 wrecker lowboy home from the scrap yard was a very slow trip almost used the low side on hills the trailer weights about 16,500 with my car trailer on it so it all weighted about 30'000 the book says 17,000 off road and high way 36,000 . I don't want to work my truck that hard .top road speed was about 25 mph

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor

towing with a deuce is slow and annoying and a considerable hardship when backing up due to no power steering. if your just movin it every now and then its not bad but if you have to get up every day at 6 am and go to work with your deuce and trailer you will prolly quickly begin to hate it. other than that it will tow it to hell and back with bullet holes in the block

Chanhyx

RE: It will tow what you want

Thanks for the replies, no I didn't win the big green thing contest, I didn't enter but the guy that I got em from didn't win either, he entered em though, I'm not gonna be driving it everyday but i still want a reliable tow vehicle, I have an international dump truck (dt 466E automatic single axle) but it's not up to the task either it struggles on flat land and grades are another story, the dry weight of the excavator is 16,800 pounds plus trailer weight of i'd say 4500 pounds it's a solid 10 tons going down the road, starting to wonder if a 5 ton is more suited to my needs........ gonna make the deuce work for now!!!
Happy Trails
Monty

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

You'll do fine on the flat and level road, but on backroads with hills you'll struggle along. Starting up-hill, you probably won't get out of first gear....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Excellent point Bjorn. I do alot of highway trips and for whatever its worth, when I exit the highway I shop for an overpass exit. The upgrade assists in stopping and the downgrade helps me merge into traffic. Stupid? Maybe but it works well for me.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: It will tow what you want

Recovry4x4 said:
Excellent point Bjorn. I do alot of highway trips and for whatever its worth, when I exit the highway I shop for an overpass exit. The upgrade assists in stopping and the downgrade helps me merge into traffic. Stupid? Maybe but it works well for me.

I like the way you think.

;-)