• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What year FMTV to purchase? A0/A1/A1R?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The 100a alternator with 4 good mil batteries is very effective. The 100a rating is under rated like all mil equipment. The niehoff alternators are good quality units to begin with.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It's normally an upgrade kit but according to the serial number decoder it does appear a truck could have been ordered from S&S with the 200a option.

Givinup

After a few months, I thought I'd give an update to my decision. I purchased an M1088 from Suprman on the forum. Vehicle was described accurately, great condition, and Will has been very helpful with parts, information, suggestions, etc. I appreciate all of the thoughts on the forum. After looking at a few other chassis's, and hearing of the pro's and con's, the difference in price and features & the capabilities of the chassis, I was able to make an informed decision.

It took a while to find a shipper for a reasonable cost to ship the vehicle, and it arrived mid September. Over the past month I've begun to get familiar with the truck as best as I can, while performing some general maintenance on the vehicle. At some point I'll start a build thread, but there's a significant amount of scheduling and planning before I begin.

Apart from new grease & fluids, I haven't done any maintenance. I've begun the interior work of the vehicle. Stripped the interior, sanded & thoroughly cleaned of clay/dust/dirt in crevices, thermal and noise dampening paint to the underside of cab, interior of cab, bedliner on interior and underside cab, fire foam insulation in hollow frame columns. Up next will be noico (cheaper dynamat) to the entire cab and high temp dynamat to the engine bay, followed by a thermal blanket riveted above engine. I'll do a similar treatment to the interior, as well as new seals and glass.

High speed gears and rear lockers will go in November as well as frame extension, and subframe. Once the work picks up, I'll intermittently post a build thread and make posts to it. Work keeps me away for lengths of time, without great availability to a computer. I'll begin to post questions on the board as well.

Thanks again for all of the help in the thread, and a big thanks to Suprman!

Recce01

After a few months, I thought I'd give an update to my decision. I purchased an M1088 from Suprman on the forum. Vehicle was described accurately, great condition, and Will has been very helpful with parts, information, suggestions, etc. I appreciate all of the thoughts on the forum. After looking at a few other chassis's, and hearing of the pro's and con's, the difference in price and features & the capabilities of the chassis, I was able to make an informed decision.

It took a while to find a shipper for a reasonable cost to ship the vehicle, and it arrived mid September. Over the past month I've begun to get familiar with the truck as best as I can, while performing some general maintenance on the vehicle. At some point I'll start a build thread, but there's a significant amount of scheduling and planning before I begin.

Apart from new grease & fluids, I haven't done any maintenance. I've begun the interior work of the vehicle. Stripped the interior, sanded & thoroughly cleaned of clay/dust/dirt in crevices, thermal and noise dampening paint to the underside of cab, interior of cab, bedliner on interior and underside cab, fire foam insulation in hollow frame columns. Up next will be noico (cheaper dynamat) to the entire cab and high temp dynamat to the engine bay, followed by a thermal blanket riveted above engine. I'll do a similar treatment to the interior, as well as new seals and glass.

High speed gears and rear lockers will go in November as well as frame extension, and subframe. Once the work picks up, I'll intermittently post a build thread and make posts to it. Work keeps me away for lengths of time, without great availability to a computer. I'll begin to post questions on the board as well.

Thanks again for all of the help in the thread, and a big thanks to Suprman!
I am very curious as to how you plan to extend the frame on the 1088 model. From the photos of the trucks I see, the rear frame tapers down, unlike the 1083 that is open in the back. Also, is your 1088 an A1? I will subscribe to your build thread as soon as I see it pop up! Very much looking forward to your build!

Givinup

I am very curious as to how you plan to extend the frame on the 1088 model. From the photos of the trucks I see, the rear frame tapers down, unlike the 1083 that is open in the back. Also, is your 1088 an A1? I will subscribe to your build thread as soon as I see it pop up! Very much looking forward to your build!
That's a curiousity I havent pondered yet :) frame extension and the beefiness of the extension will be dependent on my camper box design, which isn't finished yet. As long as the design doesn't change much, I won't have a ton of weight past the current frame, which should make extending easier.

Will definitely start a build thread soon, and will post progress as it comes. Yep, it's a bae m1088a1. Built in 2001 and was a rebuy that was rebuilt in 2010. Great overall condition.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Recce01

That's a curiousity I havent pondered yet :) frame extension and the beefiness of the extension will be dependent on my camper box design, which isn't finished yet. As long as the design doesn't change much, I won't have a ton of weight past the current frame, which should make extending easier.

Will definitely start a build thread soon, and will post progress as it comes. Yep, it's a bae m1088a1. Built in 2001 and was a rebuy that was rebuilt in 2010. Great overall condition.

I am very inspired by your process and intend to embark on a similar path. Do you mind if I request a spoiler and enquire as to how you intend to construct your habitat? Composite panels, metal frame box like Duckworthe, or another? I am a metal fabricator by trade, but am fascinated by the composite option. I am also very curious about the subframe construction. I hope your build thread gets kicked off soon, Otherwise I'll likely keep blasting away in this thread lol

Givinup

Talk to Andreas at Total Composites: http://totalcomposites.com/ for FRP-based panels. He'll send you some specs and work with you on construction if you want to go that way.
Appreciate the suggestion. I've actually been speaking with Andreas for a month or so now. I'm just trying to determine how long to make my box. Can't decide between 20-25'. I know that's a big box, but at the same time many European expedition campers are 30-35ft in length or more.

We want to be accessible offroad, but won't be going to extreme terrain. Turning radius is naturally a concern however.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks