• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What year should I put on the SF97 request form?

blutow

I just got my EUC released yesterday and the truck is on it's way. I need to fill out the SF97 request form and that includes putting in a model year for the truck. It's an M1123 wtih original serial number 192892. It went through IROAN refurb in 2009 and you can see the data plate below. Any guidance on what year model to provide on the form? I assume it's either a guess at the actual manufacturing year (late 90's or early 2000's I think?) or just use 2009 since that's the only date on the vehicle data plate. My concern with going with an earlier date is that I could run into trouble with a mis-match with the only data on the truck (the refurb plate). But I also understand that an older model vehicle might give me some better options around insurance. I plan to register it as a military vehicle in TX. It's similar to registration as an antique/classic, limiting how the vehicle can be used. It won't be a daily driver, so I'm hoping it will be fine. Any advise is appreciated.

1644338542026.jpeg

Pretty excited that my EUC just cleared yesterday and it's already on a trailer heading this way. And it actually got on the trailer under it's own power, so hopefully a good sign.
1644339265555.jpeg

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use the initial manufacturing date in my humble opinion, because you receive a cheaper insurance if you can insure the vehicle as a classic and not just a former military vehicle. I purposely bought a vehicle that was manufactured in 1987 in order to register as a classic vehicle. My insurance is much cheaper and I am happier. I used Hagerty.

blutow

Use the initial manufacturing date in my humble opinion
Thanks, that's where I was leaning. It still won't be old enough for classic status, but a lot closer than if I used 2009. I'm a little confused trying to figure out what year it was made. From the sticky post on serial numbers, I see some overlap that doesn't make sense for 1999 and 2000. 2000 actual shows a lower serial range (which might be typo?) Any way to lock into the actual year of mfg or could it be either?

[/FONT]1999 183000[FONT=&quot] to 194000
[/FONT]2000 176000[FONT=&quot] to 192000

Action

Thanks, that's where I was leaning. It still won't be old enough for classic status, but a lot closer than if I used 2009. I'm a little confused trying to figure out what year it was made. From the sticky post on serial numbers, I see some overlap that doesn't make sense for 1999 and 2000. 2000 actual shows a lower serial range (which might be typo?) Any way to lock into the actual year of mfg or could it be either?

[/FONT]1999 183000[FONT=&quot] to 194000
[/FONT]2000 176000[FONT=&quot] to 192000
that list was screwed up when it was posted.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have heard that some insurance companies will not insure it if it’s not 20 years old or older. Hagerty more specifically. I would go with 1999
I think that’s close enough to best guess with error on the side of being a year older. I just went through the same thing and I went with 2002 based on my interpretation of the serial numbers. Might help with smog regulations in some areas.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is a lower serial number (183xxx)
I put 2000 on the paperwork.

Some places older is better, but you also want to be as honest as possible (or I do at least)

blutow

I would place a 1990-92 on it.
Why go so old if it's known to be much newer? From what I understand, there isn't really an official model year on these, but I feel like it should be a defendable year if it were ever questioned. Off by a year in either direction seems reasonable. Intentionally misrepresenting it as 8-10 years older may not cause an issue, but for what purpose?

Action

Why go so old if it's known to be much newer? From what I understand, there isn't really an official model year on these, but I feel like it should be a defendable year if it were ever questioned. Off by a year in either direction seems reasonable. Intentionally misrepresenting it as 8-10 years older may not cause an issue, but for what purpose?
AMG data plates had dates on them. Those get replaced during reset or refurb.

blutow

AMG data plates had dates on them. Those get replaced during reset or refurb.
I understand that there are no date plate remaining, just wondering what the rationale is for going so old. It sounds like some places base the registration fees off age of vehicle, so I guess that could make sense in those places (no in my location). The insurance thing is also a consideration, but not significant for me.

I guess there are times where the risk/reward and morality of misrepresenting something makes sense. If I were single, I might put brad pitt's picture on my dating profile, but I'm not going to blatently misrepresent the year on a title without a significant compelling reason. Little lies are too hard to keep track of, do it enough and something will come back at you at some point.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vehicles need to be 25-30 years old to qualify as a classic.

Action, rebuild dates determine vehicle price more than built dates with FMV’s IMHO. Still, what Action says might be true.

Action

Vehicles need to be 25-30 years old to qualify as a classic.

Action, rebuild dates determine vehicle price more than built dates with FMV’s IMHO. Still, what Action says might be true.
Yeah, like seeing all of these "2009" m1123s for sale. The truck is still old. I wonder how many folks pay more for these, because they think it is actually a 2009 ...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks