• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's the best multimeter to have in the toolbox

armytruck63

Fluke 87-V. Get the optional 80BK K-type thermocouple and you can measure temperature also. The meter will almost walk your dog for you. I've been calibrating Fluke DMM's for 20 years, and I can say that while all Fluke's are excellent, the 87's are my personal favorites.

Last edited:

armytruck63

Whatever meter you get, avoid ones powered by AA or AAA batteries. I've seen many meters damaged by leaking AA and AAA batteries. I can't remember the last time I saw a leaking 9-Volt battery.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One junk meter I have now is a Sperry Rand that works fine but eats batteries for some reason (seems every time I pick it up the battery is dead). The other is a Greenlee that I was trying to use the other day and the voltage was all over the place with the leads not hooked to anything and when hooked up it was still reading crazy, that's when I decided I needed a good meter.

I've got a few other cheap meters that I keep in vehicles and such but I need a good one to go to when I need it.

Thanks for everyone's input, I'll take the suggestions given and go from there.

rustystud

Fluke is King ! I own the 307, 87, 77, 70, 36, 32, and assorted attachments like the thermocouple adapters for temp readings and the amp clamp for checking amperage over 600A . My bosses son works for Fluke out here, and every Christmas they sell to there employees up to 60% off. He has been able to get me some really nice attachments !

Last edited:

wdbtchr

I have a Fluke 77 but when I got my son a meter I got a Fieldpiece, don't know the model off hand. For what it's worth Fieldpiece company was started a group of engineers that worked for Fluke and went out on their own.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I (work paid for it, thankfully $$$) just picked up a nice little toy for work. The machine I work on has a TON of 4-20 mA analog loops, and since we (myself and the other electricians I work with) can't stand to call the instrument shop when it's our job to fix this stuff, so I bought the Fluke 772 loop calibrator/mA clamp meter. It will measure mA signals through the probes or the mini clamp and will generate 0-10 volt signals or up to 24 mA. I already have a 789 process meter, but it is a lot bigger and bulky compared to this little guy. Both do the same job, but the 789 has a few more bells and whistles.

Fluke 772.jpg

AN/ARC186

I use two, one digital, one analog. The digital is a fluke 179 while the analog is the old reliable Simpson 260P. I also have an Ideal TestPro 360 digital as my "throw down" meter.

glassk

Fluke is the only meter I will use...EVER. That are the best. I trust my life to them every day in the mill.

That being said the 179 is en excellent choice, and the one I carry daily at work. The 87v stays in the tool box until I need it. It has all the features of the 87v but a smaller package. Does Hz, has the diode check (Beeps when just checking continuity), does inline current up to 10 amps and a host of other features. But, it will not do current unless you get a separate amp clamp for it.

Now, I also have and use quite frequently, the 381 clampmeter. It is a bit more bulky, but will do everything you are wanting it to do. AC/DC volts, AC/DC amps up to 1000 amps, frequency, remote display for safe distance current measuring. A large current loop for excessively large wires, and will measure up to 2500 amps with the loop. Basically more than you'll ever use, and it is a bit spendy...but worth every penny!

The first one is the 179, the next one is the 381 and lastly the 87v.

I do like the inrush feature for trouble shooting motors on my 337, can see the remote display on your 381 would be handy also, I have an 87 III and usually carried my T-5 , small three phase stuff, and good for PLC and contactors / aux contacts. The DC clamp on works for Lights, starter and altenator testing on Trucks plus battery drain can be spotted too, ...

The 8025A came from GL and the little Fluke 11 has passed the drop test more than once

Attachments

renodogs

I use two, one digital, one analog. The digital is a fluke 179 while the analog is the old reliable Simpson 260P. I also have an Ideal TestPro 360 digital as my "throw down" meter.
Amen brother. I've used the Simpson 260 for analog calibration of rotating machinery because the digital stuff simply will not respond fast enough to the sensor outputs of the device I am calibrating. I don't care how expensive a meter is, that doesn't indicate it's capability for a job. However, most folks don't know this but if it's digital, there's a delay in the display and that can make it impossible to calibrate rapid rotating mechanical/electronic devices. No doubt Fluke is a good product, but so is HP, Beckman etc. In general, I use the Triplett, Simpson 260 and the Fluke. It depends on the job I need it for. Sometimes nothing short of an O'scope will do.

Folks, don't get yourself locked into the mindset that one brand is better than the other due to price or case design. With meters, that's simply not always the case. I can still get the job done with an old Triplett in a wide range of applications better than a Fluke. It just depends on what you're doing.

Last edited:

glassk

Amen brother. I've used the Simpson 260 for analog calibration of rotating machinery because the digital stuff simply will not respond fast enough to the sensor outputs of the device I am calibrating. I don't care how expensive a meter is, that doesn't indicate it's capability for a job. However, most folks don't know this but if it's digital, there's a delay in the display and that can make it impossible to calibrate rapid rotating mechanical/electronic devices. No doubt Fluke is a good product, but so is HP, Beckman etc. In general, I use the Triplett, Simpson 260 and the Fluke. It depends on the job I need it for. Sometimes nothing short of an O'scope will do.

Folks, don't get yourself locked into the mindset that one brand is better than the other due to price or case design. With meters, that's simply not always the case. I can still get the job done with an old Triplett in a wide range of applications better than a Fluke. It just depends on what you're doing.

psm 6b.jpg

No analog-to-digital converters in these two,...

AECS

I do like the inrush feature for trouble shooting motors on my 337, can see the remote display on your 381 would be handy also, I have an 87 III and usually carried my T-5 , small three phase stuff, and good for PLC and contactors / aux contacts. The DC clamp on works for Lights, starter and altenator testing on Trucks plus battery drain can be spotted too, ...

The 8025A came from GL and the little Fluke 11 has passed the drop test more than once
I ran the calibration lab on 2 seperate aircraft carriers, and I can promise you that if you know how to use it, the simpson 260 is more accurate than the Fluke 77 every day of the week.

That being said 99% of the time the fluke gets used due to simplicity and ruggedness. Unless you are needing to read and see a wave form or a change in current, the fluke is the way to go.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran the calibration lab on 2 seperate aircraft carriers, and I can promise you that if you know how to use it, the simpson 260 is more accurate than the Fluke 77 every day of the week.

That being said 99% of the time the fluke gets used due to simplicity and ruggedness. Unless you are needing to read and see a wave form or a change in current, the fluke is the way to go.

Simpson 260 +1

AE1 Bradley
AIMD

;-)

Keith_J

I just cannot justify the cost for a Fluke with my Klein MM2000. This is true RMS meter (useful for alternator work as the clawed poles don't produce true sine voltage) with frequency, capacitance, diode and includes type K thermocouple in addition to standard DMM features. Also, it is Korean made, not Chinese.

AECS

That would require an understanding of Ohms law. Reading this I am sure that most who are browsing this sub forum know ohms law.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One that works and you understand how to use.