• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whats the real Truth ???

Does GL or uncle sugar **** around with the odometers on trucks going to GL?
Every truck I've ever looked at or previewed has had a odometer showing low miles, really low miles, like so low I haven't ever owned a civi truck with such low miles.

So whats really going on, do they have boxes of extra odometers that they swap out with? Is there a guy that sits on a bench with a drill attached to the back of a odometer spinning it back to say, oh maybe 4000 miles and the truck looks to be on its last leg.

I've got a Toyota FJ60 in my driveway with north of 230xxx miles on it, its not a cream puff but its all there with a few more good miles left on it. No need to **** around with that odometer, or if I did what do you supose the Feds would say??

91W350

As I understand, a lot of them get replaced when upgraded or going through a depot rebuild. A lot of the CUCVs have been replaced as the speedometers start jumping. Those are pretty easy to spot as the odometers are million mile odometers instead of 100,000 miles. Al lot of the trucks just sat, you should see the rows and rows of five tons parked at Ft Riley, that is insane!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There are a couple of reasons a military vehicle has low miles on it.

One is that most vehicles spent the better part of their lives in the Motor Pool waiting to go "out in the field". They were not daily drivers and were only cranked for "motor maintainence" once a week.

The other is that most vehicles went through a rebuild or two during their "tour of duty". If it was a complete overhaul the engine and driveline was rebuilt/replaced/upgraded and the the odometer was reset or replaced.

It is not uncommon to find very low milage vehicles in the system.

Gimp, just send me all the extras at the end of your work day, I'll start my own odometer swap out service. I'll tell every one its my Tarp bailout plan!!

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TRUTH?!?! You can't handle the truth!*

Son, we live in a world that has roads, and those roads have to be driven on by men with trucks. Who's gonna buy trucks with high mileage?? You? The odometer rollback team has a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for gauges, and you curse GL. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That odometer rollbacks, while tragic, probably raised prices. And rollbacks existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, raises prices. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at SS chat, you want low mileage, you need low mileage. We use words like "ran when parked" and "driven on to lot". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent making money. You use them as a punchline on your website. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very prices that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a camera, and screw up a photo. Either way, I don't give a **** what you think you are entitled to.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG

Son, we live in a world that has roads, and those roads have to be driven on by men with trucks. Who's gonna buy trucks with high mileage?? You? The odometer rollback team has a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for gauges, and you curse GL. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That odometer rollbacks, while tragic, probably raised prices. And rollbacks existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, raises prices. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at SS chat, you want low mileage, you need low mileage. We use words like "ran when parked" and "driven on to lot". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent making money. You use them as a punchline on your website. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very prices that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a camera, and screw up a photo. Either way, I don't give a **** what you think you are entitled to.

SOMEBODY watched a LITTLE too much TV tonight!!
But it's funny as all get out...and well done!!:-D

XanRa

lmfao!! a :beer: to your absolute madness in creating that!:cookoo:
roflroflrofl

Dug I can't stop laughing, that is possibly THE funniest, most thought out, creative post I've ever read!! I want to party with you, your wife, your dog, your neighbor, his dog .... you get it.
Thanks for a full out belly laugh,
Mark

mcmullag

grandma only drove it once a month to exercises

First deuce; i bought, 71 kaiser jeep, originated from NE national guard, appears sat in Toole UT rebuild from 85 to 87 so prolly got a dash gauge change at that time, read 41800 miles when I got it in 2008.
Second deuce; i bought 87 am general with 14,500 miles when I got it in 2010, came off Petersen AFB in colorado springs. totally neglected truck, bald tires, fuel system full of degenrated diesel fuel brown crap, bad batteries, etc. Fellow member AFCRASH helps me pick it up. He is ex air force mechanic. Explains to me that he drove 4 vehicles in Germany once a month to put some miles on them just so air force could justify to keep them at end of year. I believe these low miles fig-urs.
Gawd bless the USA! 2cents

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
At first I was torqued this has come up yet again. This is about the 20 ga-zillionth time we have discussed this and leads those that "know the truth" to realize the person asking "for the truth" definately has never spent anytime around military bases, the Army Reserve, or the National Guard and above all else, has not used the search function or look at post 1 on the VIN info thread.

With that said, if this question had not been asked, we would have missed DUG going off the deep end and thinking he's Jack Nicolson in the movie a Few Good Men.

GREAT JOB DUG!!!!

Now orderlies, please take DUG back to his rubber room.rofl

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Dug and Gimpy's comments are epic.

They are now our official SS Satire-Masters.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks