• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel bearing and seal question

Jim145

I am gettting ready to do the front axle wheel bearings and seals, I found bt searching the messages that I can use TIMKEN 392 inner bearing and TIMKEN 3994 outer bearing does anyone know what the seal numbers are? I know its kinda late so I will check back in the morning to see if anyone might know.

Thanks,

Jim

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just went through my front axle a few months ago. The wheel seal seems to be a military only item. I could'nt find it in my national oil seal book. (fedral mogal) when you see it you'll understand. The I.D. is steel and the O.D. is the rubber. I got mine from boyce equipment. Don't forget the wheel bearing races are Timkin 3920.

Jim145

I could not find the bearings anyway, I went to a couple of large truck parts places and they said they had to order them.....I guess I will just wait and get them from boyce too.

I do have a new question:

How do you get the inner seal off?

I'm a little green on this so I figured i would take it apart to see if I need the bearings. I took the one wheel off and got to the inner bearing

slid it down the spindel, and now I have the seal to take off....Do you pry it or is there a secret way?

BTW the bearings were toast, the outer one just fell apart cage and all.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought the bearings at a bearing supply in town. Much cheeper!!!!! that's where the parts stores get them. As for the seals there is a slot in the brake backing plate that let's you get a flat screwdriver a little closer to the back of the seal. I stuck a flat head screwdriver between the seal and the backing plate and tapped it with a hammer. Then pryed it all the way around till i got it off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks