• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel bearing and seal question

Jim145

I am gettting ready to do the front axle wheel bearings and seals, I found bt searching the messages that I can use TIMKEN 392 inner bearing and TIMKEN 3994 outer bearing does anyone know what the seal numbers are? I know its kinda late so I will check back in the morning to see if anyone might know.

Thanks,

Jim

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just went through my front axle a few months ago. The wheel seal seems to be a military only item. I could'nt find it in my national oil seal book. (fedral mogal) when you see it you'll understand. The I.D. is steel and the O.D. is the rubber. I got mine from boyce equipment. Don't forget the wheel bearing races are Timkin 3920.

Jim145

I could not find the bearings anyway, I went to a couple of large truck parts places and they said they had to order them.....I guess I will just wait and get them from boyce too.

I do have a new question:

How do you get the inner seal off?

I'm a little green on this so I figured i would take it apart to see if I need the bearings. I took the one wheel off and got to the inner bearing

slid it down the spindel, and now I have the seal to take off....Do you pry it or is there a secret way?

BTW the bearings were toast, the outer one just fell apart cage and all.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought the bearings at a bearing supply in town. Much cheeper!!!!! that's where the parts stores get them. As for the seals there is a slot in the brake backing plate that let's you get a flat screwdriver a little closer to the back of the seal. I stuck a flat head screwdriver between the seal and the backing plate and tapped it with a hammer. Then pryed it all the way around till i got it off.