• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel Covers / Rim Protectors

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rim protector issues

I picked up a set of these rim protectors, cheap. We have a lot of rocks here in Colorado, so I figured, why not? Paper inside the box says it is P/N 57K1996, NSN 2540-01-489-5928

RimProtector1.jpg

However, they don't seem to line up just right. The install diagram (which is hard to see anyways), shows the valve stem sticking through the large hole. In that position, the CTIS hose has no cutout to fit through. If I rotate the rim protector so that the small hole is over the valve stem, the big hole is over nothing, and the CTIS hose digs in against the edge of the rim protector (surely would wear/cut through the hose).

RimProtector2.jpg

I've been trying to find info on these things in the manuals... I'm not very good at LMTV manual surfing yet.

Any help, ideas, right/wrong part numbers, etc.? I could just enlarge or add a slot so the CTIS hose clears, but I wanted to understand the issue first.

Thanks!

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a set as well but haven't tried to install them yet as I am sorting out some leaks on the CTIS parts.

Please let us know what is necessary to make these work, I recall a few months back someone mentioned enlarging the cutout for the hose.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PM me, I'll send you info of how the covers are supposed to be installed.
Is this super secret double probation kind of information that you can't share with everyone? Or do you just want PMs so you can decide who deserves the knowledge?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is probably more to it that LMTV772 knows about, to get you by till you get a PM conversation going with him... below link might help you and anyone else at least headed in the right direction.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?149933-Wheel-covers
Thanks. Interesting that some others had the same problem as me. It's still concerning to know why. Supposedly these were the right parts, so why do I need to cut a notch in them? Is that what joe would do in the motorpool too, or are these really the wrong parts?

I had the same leaky valve stem extension too. Maybe I can find some others online that don't leak.

KsM715

Thanks. Interesting that some others had the same problem as me. It's still concerning to know why. Supposedly these were the right parts, so why do I need to cut a notch in them? Is that what joe would do in the motorpool too, or are these really the wrong parts?

I had the same leaky valve stem extension too. Maybe I can find some others online that don't leak.
Perhaps this is the reason they were surplused out. Found to be defective or out of specs so the whole lot just went straight to DRMO.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Earlier lmtv wheels may have come with slightly different ctis components.
This is a serious question, but may sound stupid. My M1078 is a '97. Would I expect it to have "earlier LMTV wheels", or would/could those have been upgraded along the way? Are you saying these might be old rim protectors, and I have new wheels, or vice-versa? I'm confused.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I'm not exactly sure. I have seen 2 different style lmtv ctis hoses from stem to valve. Not sure if there are different gen rims but over the course of 20 years a lot can happen. According to others, the covers do fit with minor modification though.

VVFD

We got six for our M1083A last week and put them on this weekend. Four of the six were perfect fits, with two needing modifications. Hardest part of the installation was cleaning the bolt threads.
IMG_6861.jpg

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you access the Schrader valve if you want to check the tire pressure? On mine I had to add another hole since the original oval hole didn’t align with the CTIS valve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks