• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheelspinner's M1078

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I am in the club. Got a nice (looks mostly complete) 1078 out of Bragg. Prob go pick it up next week I would imagine. Plan to prep and flat tow it home as its listed as a non-runner and only about 75 miles away.

Hopefully no major issues, but the price was good ($3K plus fees) and doesn't appear to have been cannibalized in the past.

And of course the obligatory pictures:

Right Front.jpgLeft Rear.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats! Make sure to pull the front driveshaft but for the rear it's easier just to pull the axle shafts (pipe wrench to remove the hub plug then a 7/16 coarse thread bolt to screw in and pull the shafts). And if it's on base have something to catch the oil from pulling the shafts. That was the method NDT used to flat tow mine and then I had to pull the shafts again when I had a wrecker transport after my fan clutch exploded.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Bragg SOP with older LMTVs seems to be run 'em until something however minor breaks and then off to DRMO. Don't be surprised if you find paperwork in the cab from this year.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's cute.

snowtrac nome

good luck on the new truck , my cat guy said that those fuel filter housings on the lmtv's were a pos and prone to air leaks maybe why it wont start the gov plannet guys are pretty nice, but as I found they don't dive real deep into diagnostic if a truck dosent start

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats 'Spinner! You may also want to check the front hub and diff oil levels before towing. Don't want to burn up those precious spider gear reduction hubs on the tow home!

snowtrac nome

Snowtrac ,what would you replace the primer with ?
Cat recommended a racor with out a primer pump or a filter housing off one of the newer dpf equipped engines the new dpf equipped filters have a 6 micron filter he said if I wanted a primer pump to get the cat pump, the filter mounted pumps just cause trouble

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You need the primer pump. It's a recirculating system you don't have to open a bleeder to prime. Push pump till hard crank and repeat if needed.

snowtrac nome

cat makes their own stand alone pump that locks to a seal. I have one these are the pumps , the ones on the filter housing seem to be the source of a lot of air leakage. The cat pump closely resembles the primer pump found on old m-37's and other GED. equipment with the winterization kit.

snowtrac nome

the c-7 has a cat filter housing with the cat pump mounted in it, that would be an option too. That system supposedly only filters to 10 microns, and you would still need a stand alone water separator.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well..... went to Bragg to recover and the day just didn't work out well. The tires were MUCH worse than I had hoped or been able to see in the pics, broken borrowed tools trying to pull the front driveshaft (my 13mm wrench and socket were both missing) and the wrong bolts in hand to pull the rear axles. It all just added up to just having it hauled. Should be picked up next week. Good news is the truck appears relatively complete and ummolested. The batteries are date stamped one year old. Looks like the inop heater unit was being removed and they just gave up and sent it out for sell.

I did snap snap this picture of the fuse panel, can someone look at their truck in comparison and tell me what I'm missing? I checked the schematic in the cover but it includes options for all trucks, and this is just a plain 1078.

IMG_0384.jpg

Appreciate the help!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks