• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

When do you hate your 5 ton !

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate my 5-ton M818 when driving empty down the dirt road at work. It kills my kidneys :mad:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Another reason I could NEVER HATE my 5t

The pic is of a truck after a right front tire BLOW OUT and ditch ride at 65 mph, the 73 m819 did the same thing at 60, went airborne, 200' tore up field, broken spring frame mount, ect
AFTER changing the tire, it was able to DRIVE under its own power a 1 1/2 mile to storage, then on/off the recovery trailer , then to my LZ, AGAIN all the time under it's OWN POWER :driver:and I WALKED away UNSCRATCHED [thumbzup]

Attachments

Last edited:

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another reason I could NEVER HATE my 5t

The pic is of a truck after a right front tire BLOW OUT and ditch ride at 65 mph, the 73 m819 did the same thing at 60, went airborne, 200' tore up field, broken spring frame mount, ect
AFTER changing the tire, it was able to DRIVE under its own power a 1 1/2 mile to storage, then on/off the recovery trailer , then to my LZ, AGAIN all the time under it's OWN POWER :driver:and I WALKED away UNSCRATCHED [thumbzup]

Not everyone is as lucky as you.

different situation but....
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/71943-rip-shootiniron-mv-fatality-7-1-a.html

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Last edited:

TedG

I hate my 5 ton M813A1 because it takes up a lot of room in my barn. I love my 5 ton because it has paid for itself in movie rentals!

Attachments

dittle

I don't think it would have mattered much whether you were in a 5 ton or a deuce in that situation. Only thing that might have had a chance was a vehicle of equal weight so that it didn't spin out as easy. Either way, neither the cab on a 2.5 or 5 ton has any kind of roll over protection so once you go over its over.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I am a new 5 ton owner and have only driven it about 700 miles I have to say the ONLY thing I dont like about it are the TMs, I was very glad to read in the opening of this thread that I am NOT the only person having a hard time with them, The TMs for my Deuces just seem to make so much more sense to me, Love the truck otherwise!
KK

vtdeucedriver

Since I am a new 5 ton owner and have only driven it about 700 miles I have to say the ONLY thing I dont like about it are the TMs, I was very glad to read in the opening of this thread that I am NOT the only person having a hard time with them, The TMs for my Deuces just seem to make so much more sense to me, Love the truck otherwise!
KK
900 series?

Bighurt

KK
I think you guys got spoiled by the M35 TM's. With the truck being as old as it is, lets just say it had a fair share of reviews. While I suspect the TM's were decent from the start, I'm fairly certain they have been refined with age.

Where as your M925 series, is younger and is a not as refined. You also have to look at the time frames the trucks where released. M44 and M809 series were used by draftee's. Everyone had to use those books. The 900 series trucks are used by volunteer enlisted personnel. And lets face it not everything about the military has improved.

For those that know what I do for the US Goverement you may think that world is a shiny example. I can tell you is not, and it takes years to change even the smallest thing in our TM's. There were certain Tech data discrepancies that didn't change till an airmen lost his life.

I agree the M35 manuals are good, and I've often refereed to them when discussing our actual manuals as a true example of what a TM or TO should be. However the 900's series books are not that bad.

It's bad when the engineers that are responsible for the books don't know what they mean or understand why it's written that way.

I won't quote the source but one inspection criteria upon discovery of the defect, tells you to draw an imaginary circle around the defect and measure the circles diameter, if less than .01" the defect is exceptable. If there are more than one defect on the surface and defects are closer than half the diameter of the largest defect in the group then those items will be grouped together and are exceptable if the imaginary circle encompassing them is less than .01" in diameter. If there are two or more groups and the imaginary circles around each group are less than .01" in diameter and the distance between those groups are greater than .01" than they are exceptable. It gets worse, but I'll stop there. I always ask new airmen to draw me an actual circle .01" in diameter, which of course they can't but the engineers want them to draw an imaginary circle, potentially many. On a surface you can't touch with bare hands.

Karl the books we have for our trucks are like vacation, they are a joy to read by comparison.

vtdeucedriver

Haha Jeremy. I started reading this and it reeked of "aircraft engineer". We had some areas on a aircraft skin that were allowed minimal damage and it's assessment was much like what your describing. I will not hijack the thread on what I think about those guys.

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just got my 5 ton, had a heart attack just a week before, but just had to climb up into the cab and sit there and look at her, when I was ready to get out, i slid out, started climbing down the steps, got to the last one, put my foot down and let go, landing right on my back, seems that 2,5 step is a lot longer than my leg. I must have laid there 5 minutes in the grass laughing before I got up.
I love my M923A1:D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks