• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

When the spare goes too...

edpdx

I saw a survival show a few weeks ago about some guy in the outback with his daughter on a fishing trip. He had a Rover or something and carried three spare, really 3! Well it would not be a survival story without blowing tires like they were birthday candles, so one after another, he runs out of spares.

Got me thinking; I carry one spare and it hogs up room inside- out on a carrier its no problem; but a back-up spare means a roof rack or eating up valuable real estate in the cargo area.

Any good solutions? I was thinking plug&glue. Tubes could work as well; but you need a good pump or air supply to seat the bead if you pop open the tire to insert a tube.

Is there a good pump for this. I know I could get a portable air carrier; but if it leaks... uh oh, you are hosed. Will a heavy duty bicycle pump put 35psi in the tire?
Anyone know of a dependable pump and spare repair solution?

kassim503

Bike pumps can pump up a car tire if you are inclined to do so, but airing up one passenger car tire to 35 psi would take away all of the life out of the pump. Look at it as a 1 shot thing. Or you could just go with fix a flat and dirty up the wheels if you get a flat

emr

I carry the cans... they work . and most: if they are not on tv of course... will be alot smarter after blowing one and knowing there is no other, and not driving alone, like another similar vehicle may have a usable spare,

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did he drive on the flats? When I was in Alaska we blew a rear tire on our 2wd f150 (rental). We were 40 miles from Nome making about 10mph on flat ground. Almost nowhere on the hills. 10 miles later we had to pull the rubber off and continue on just the rim. Made it 10 miles from town and saw our first car. Luckily they had a tire iron. We had tons of survival gear and sat phone, but we left it at the hotel as we were going to dinner...how plans change. Now I always keep the correct gear with me. That could have been a bad cold night for the 3 of us.

Fleg

I install on board air in almost all the vehicles that I plan on taking out where there are people few and far between. Either an engine driven system or electric system.

I actually had to use my electric system today on my Pinzgauer due to a flat. A tire plug and a few min's later it was good as new.

edpdx

The outback guy was driving on dirt roads actually- its just that the rocks are quite jagged down under.

when you say "cans", do you mean the one that shoot the foamy goo into the tire? How do they work? I understand they leave a mess in your rim- I'd much rather have to clean one up that spend the night in the sticks with the same bleak reality in the dawns early light. ... or do you mean the can of compressed air that you fill from your compressor.

What manual pump, or even electric pump would help? I use to have one that plugged into the lighter; but I could churn butter faster than getting a full tire with that lame pump.

edpdx

Sorry Fleg, we posted at the same time. Onnacounta you have some experience with onboard air... hep me. What does this entail?

Fleg

I've had both an engine driven system using a York A/C compressor in my Jeep and an electric system using a 24V Viar in my Pinzgauer. The York is hands down the way to go. The Viar gets the job done but only just. Bumping up the idle on both systems really helps out but I could air up four tires with my York system in the time it would take the Viar to do one. On the other hand, it's still faster then most other electric systems.

Look at the OBA section on my webpage;
710PINZ

Last edited:

toughjeep

I like co2 tanks they work pretty well. You can fill tires and run air tools with them. They are 100% portable and dont take up a ton of room. This and a decent tire plug kit can usually get you mobile again.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
One minor detail to point out that I didn't see addressed. If you put a tube in a tire, no need for "large volume of air" to seat the bead, the tube will do that for you. Just some kind of compressed air and you will be ok. Barrman has a york on his M715 and had issues with the output tube getting hot and melting the rubber air line. Make sure you have a good length section of metal line on the york's output so the heat does not create an issue for you when you really need it.

oldMan99

I'm not a big fan of "Fix-A-Flat" I have tried it several times and (For me anyway) it only sort of works at best (If at all) and always makes a huge mess of the tire/wheel. Many tire repair places refuse to repair a tire once that stuff has been used. Many refuse to mount a new tire on the wheel unless it is first cleaned up. Oh and by the way... the stuff is extremely flammable. If the tire repair guy is smoking when he pulls out the valve stem the exhausting air/chemical mix can easily ignite. This is well documented and many people have been seriously injured because of this.

C02 compressed gas inflation systems, professionally packaged (And completely NON-flammable - in fact, this is the same stuff they use in a C02 fire extinguisher!): POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems

You can also us a proper type tank from a welding supply and build your own system or combine your own parts and some from the powertank people. They specialized in these systems though so if your inclined to go the C02 route, spend some time on their site and read all about the way they have designed their stuff.

Air compressors: Think Gee... I want a train horn and what does it take to make one work? Well here you go: VIAIR Corporation - Products

Tire repair: patchboy: Plug Kits, Patch Kits

My plan: 2 spares, 4 tubes, Tire repair kit, on board compressor and C02. Also 0.040 stainless steel safety wire, cordless battery drill, hand drill with several 0.050 drill bits and needle nose pliers, duck bill pliers, safety wire pliers, duct tape, baby powder. Also a Spark plug air compressor, (See below).

Always have a plan and 2 back up plans.

Remember that a patch kit and or tubes will only fix so much damage. If you rip large a hole in a tire, especially the sidewall even a tube will not fix it. This is when you break out the drill and safety wire. You can literally sew the sidewall together with the stainless steel safety wire, cover the wire on the inside with several layers of duct tape, dust with baby powder, insert a tube, inflate and drive on... CAREFULLY and SLOWLY.

I have only done it once but it works..... and it actually worked pretty well.

The hand drill is plan "B" in case the power drill quits.
Several drill bits because you'll probably break a few.
C02 air in case the compressor quits.

If you want a manual pump, you can check the local Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Advance... they usually have a foot powered pump. (Include a box of Wheaties and a gallon of Gatoraid, your gonna need it for that foot pump) I suppose you could use a bicycle pump if you really have a lot of time and plenty groceries to keep you going.... especially if your running oversize tires.

Don't forget a good jack and a good back up jack. Also maybe one of those airbag jacks that can help you get un-stuck too.... (They have been discussed elsewhere on this site before and yeah, they work pretty well too)

The spark plug air compressor: More or less a unit that consists of a replacement (Hollow) spark plug (Or more likely a threaded adapter that fits the spark plug hole threads) attached to a hose and a check valve to a longer hose with a tire air chuck.

Yes, it actually works. Yes, it can/will provide fuel/air mix to your tire. The "Milton tool company" ( https://miltonindustries.com/ ) used to make a tool called the "Chuffer" this would work the same way but would send fresh (No fuel) air to the tire and only cost about $20.00. It seems that after dozens of years making this thing they have quit since it is no longer in their catalog.

A simple home made tool could be made (Don't forget a good check valve!) but unless you have a way to cut off the fuel while cranking the motor your going to get fuel/air mix. Yes, that is flammable, but then again, as noted at the top, so is every can of "Fix-A-Flat" type product.

Here is a link to a site where this is discussed at length: Air Compressor - Chuffer

As noted on the site I linked to you could also use the same concept on a diesel by replacing one of the fuel injectors.

Hope this helps some.

oldMan99

ive heard the sparkplug trick before, and i like it... but i havent been able to find the sparkplug hole on my M1010... any help would be appreciated !!:oops:
What your looking for is called a "Fuel Injector" (As noted in the very last sentence above... :) )

I'm guessing that you could also use a glow plug hole instead??

Of course if you pull a fuel injector then your going to only get fresh air. If you pull the glow plug your going to get the fuel/air mix...

Assuming you use the fuel injector, you might want to make a plug for the fuel line to keep from making a mess.

Fleg

Don't forget a good jack and a good back up jack. Also maybe one of those airbag jacks that can help you get un-stuck too.... (They have been discussed elsewhere on this site before and yeah, they work pretty well too)

You had a pretty good post going up until here. I've personally "tried" to use one of those things and they are worthless. The one we had was exhaust gas driven. It had a big tube that you put over your exhaust and that aired up the bag. We were on perfectly flat ground and had to change a tire. Decided to use it just to get some experience with it. Even with the vehicle turning 4k RPM's it just wouldn't lift it. The vehicle in question was a 2000 Jeep Wrangler so not a heavy weight by any means.

I don't know if your referring to a different type of airbag jack but I'll tell anyone that will listen to not trust the exhaust powered ones. They just don't work.

oldMan99

You had a pretty good post going up until here. I've personally "tried" to use one of those things and they are worthless. The one we had was exhaust gas driven. It had a big tube that you put over your exhaust and that aired up the bag. We were on perfectly flat ground and had to change a tire. Decided to use it just to get some experience with it. Even with the vehicle turning 4k RPM's it just wouldn't lift it. The vehicle in question was a 2000 Jeep Wrangler so not a heavy weight by any means.

I don't know if your referring to a different type of airbag jack but I'll tell anyone that will listen to not trust the exhaust powered ones. They just don't work.
That sound non-typical and unfortunate. Do you remember what brand the bag was? What condition was the bag in? You sure it was not leaking? I ask because I have seen them work in person and there are dozens and dozens of youtube videos of people successfully using them.

Here are just a few from youtube:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcfB4_wOWyw&feature=related[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqBQ8q2mxuY&feature=related[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOmAe-WKQmo&NR=1[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPAWzkORPbc&feature=fvst[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBg10gw277o&feature=related[/media]
.Setting the brakes, chocking the wheels (As in ANY jacking op) is highly recommended.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc7Tni99dlQ&feature=fvwrel[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATrOkUBvpYY&feature=related[/media]

Last edited:

emr

I have heard of people saying the tire shops do not like the cans, but never had one say anything, and with my trucks and trailers on the road for like 30 years, I have been using them for a long time and alot, and never heard a mutter of anything close to that at a tire shop, anyone smoking while working today is a long shot, I also think this is over blown anyway , U would need a flame at the point of air exiting the tire a long shot also, these are my experiences and there are alot of them , just sayin..., have been doing it and when needed is worth there weight in gold for sure. I LOVE those bags, never used one but it seems to be a no brainer to me for sure,,, An M 816 would be more fun though...But watching the bag go up would be cool too... :)

emr

Did he drive on the flats? When I was in Alaska we blew a rear tire on our 2wd f150 (rental). We were 40 miles from Nome making about 10mph on flat ground. Almost nowhere on the hills. 10 miles later we had to pull the rubber off and continue on just the rim. Made it 10 miles from town and saw our first car. Luckily they had a tire iron. We had tons of survival gear and sat phone, but we left it at the hotel as we were going to dinner...how plans change. Now I always keep the correct gear with me. That could have been a bad cold night for the 3 of us.
This is a great story, Made me remember blowing out 2 tires on a big Blazer deep in the woods,like many hours in the woods... by the time we got out of the woods by morning there was NO rubber on either rim, but they worked just fine :) and got us out, since 2 blew out so fast i could not see in the wisdom of being young , why waste the spare and all that work when we will be driving on one rim anyway, over rocks and thru mud, both rims were fine also and re set tires the next day, actually I have driven a few times in my life on rime on road, and pulled a trailer or 2 or 3 with no rubber on a rim any more, and everytime I must say the rims were fine , we were amazed at the traction we had also... good story thanks for making me hit the memories...