• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to drain coolant.

robd

Hey guys.

I'm working on installing a block heater on my M1009, but am having trouble seeing where/how to drain the coolant (in a manor where I can recover it)

I've searched, and found a few posts on installing the heater, but no luck on seeing how to drain coolant.

Any help, especially pictures, would be most appreciated.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scroll down this page to read threads that are similar.

robd

THanks Doghead, I did see those, but they mention the radiator petcock, but I'm having trouble finding it.

I did something that looks like it could be it on the lower part of the radiator drivers side, but could not see how to open it, or recover the fluid as the wheel well is right below it.

Any clarification would help.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, the D/S of the radiator has a petcock(valve).

You'll need a large pan and it will be messy.

Or, as that first thread showed, there are plugs in the block. I would leave them alone.

One other choice is to slip the lower hose off the radiator just a bit and let that drain.

I'll look for a pic of the petcock.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe this will help.

Attachments

robd

Thanks Warthog. I got that. Just a tight space, and jammed up pretty good.

Appreciate all the help. You guys rock.

Keith_J

That is why I have a fluid extractor. For LOWERING the fluid level and recovering it, nothing beats my MityVac. Now, for completely draining it? I use a dedicated wet Shop Vac.

Petcock drains are a pain. On another vehicle that uses expensive European coolant, it really makes sense. Mostly because I have never had a cooling system malfunction so I am hooked on that type/brand of coolant.

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

I removed the lower hose when I installed my block heater, it was easier for me at least. Worked fine. One of my petcock wings was broken and I didn't want to chance it.
Make sure not to use the heater or plug it in until after 5 or 6 heat/cool cycles, when you are done, to get the air out of the system. I had to fill my coolant bottle at least 4 or 5 times within a week or so of driving. Make sure to have a bottle with you for the first week, so you can keep adding it when you shut her down. If you plug it in too soon with air still in the system, you'll have to replace the heater and start all over..

jw4x4

From experience, I can tell you that even if the radiator is completely drained, there will STILL be coolant in the engine block. Be prepared for coolant to come out when the freeze plug is removed so that the heater coil can be installed.

MarcusOReallyus

Petcocks can be tricky beasties. Sometimes they won't close properly, leaving you in a pickle. On older vehicles, I leave them alone. Radiator hose works.

av8rnik

I removed the lower hose when I installed my block heater, it was easier for me at least. Worked fine. One of my petcock wings was broken and I didn't want to chance it.
Make sure not to use the heater or plug it in until after 5 or 6 heat/cool cycles, when you are done, to get the air out of the system. I had to fill my coolant bottle at least 4 or 5 times within a week or so of driving. Make sure to have a bottle with you for the first week, so you can keep adding it when you shut her down. If you plug it in too soon with air still in the system, you'll have to replace the heater and start all over..
so the bottle you keep handy to top off the coolant reservoir, is it a 50/50 mix or just water?

Also, so when you go to refill the system, you put the mixture into the reservoir next to the radiator right? I realize this might be a stupid question but this is the first time i am doing it. Also, you use distilled water right?

av8rnik

okay thanks! And to refill the system, the mix goes into the reservoir next to the radiator or into the where the radiator caps is? Also, i assume it is best to premix? Do you just use a clean container to mix it in?

*Disregard my question about where to add the mix, look at the LO and it answered my question...use the recovery tank.*

Last edited:

Keith_J

Radiator is filled to the top when cold. When the engine is warm, the coolant will expand, draining into the recovery tank. When the engine cools, the coolant in the recovery tank is sucked back into the radiator. This constant purging keeps the coolant free of oxygen, preventing corrosion and deterioration of the coolant.

cucvrus

What the heck. Just get up under there with the long punch and tap the freeze out plug out. Grab it with vise grips and pull it out. Works every time. We don't need no stinkin petcocks. Silly mechanics Petcocks are for Chicks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks