• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to find a glow plug module.

fal_shooter

It looks like I will need to replace my glow plug module. Does anyone have a source on these? I
am still trouble shooting the no start issues (the wait light does not come on and no clicking). I know it could be something other than the module but worst case I may end up with a spare module if that is not the problem with the truck.

Any civilian replacement modules or will I need a military module?
What is a fair price on one?
Where can I get one?

I have read about people by-passing the module but I don't know if that is a good idea. I don't do the mechanical stuff I just spend the money. I'm too old to crawl under the dash. I'm lucky I can still crawl into the driver seat.

Is the bypass thing a good idea? I read several ways to do it but does anyone have a link to a detailed explanation that works? If you don't need this module why is it in there?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

ida34

The glow plug module is Military Cucv only. Front Line Military Vehicles had them for $125 at one time but it looks like they are out. Can't help past that.

Sgt Hulka

I sympathize with you. Chasing down these glow plug circuit issues is vexing; I've been through it. I understand you don't want to contort yourself under the dash. IF you can find a competent auto electric outfit in your area, they will, at modest cost, test the glow plug module circuits and clean the card receptor terminals inside the card holder. That's more important than it sounds. These vehicles spent most of their lifetime outside and even a thin layer of corrosion can screw up the glow card operation.

Some folks on Steel Soldiers are reluctant to use auto electric shops, understandably. So use good judgment and quiz the heck out of them. Make sure they know diesels and are real comfortable with military. I also provided my shop with a set of the Technical manuals and wiring diagrams and highlighted the test procedures. Even if it's a good shop, make it easy for them.

Good luck!!!!!!!

Sgt Hulka

Oh and try E-bay for glow plug modules. Search "M1009" and "CUCV." They're getting very pricey. Last one I saw sold for $300. But prices vary widely. Nothing wrong with a used one if it's guaranteed. From what I've read, they're fairly robust and reliable

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You aren't really "bypassing" the glow plug control card you are essentially removing it from the circuit and adding a push button for the card. I have one in my dually and you just turn the key on like you would normally do then press the button for 10-12 seconds then start it up.:wink: It used to be a sticky in the cucv forum.

Last edited:

Sgt Hulka

Whoa, careful. As a recently bewildered Glow Plug Circuit novice, I know how easy it is to confuse the terms "glow plug card," "glow plug relay," "starter solenoid," "24v starter relay." Not to put words in anybody's mouth, but I believe the push button alternative bypasses the controller card, not the relays... yes?

l1a1man

There are two glow plug modules on ebay right now under "CUCV." One used, one new. 14 hours left on each as I post this...

SHHHHHHH, I am the high bidder. :-D BTW, What is the best way to clean the conecctors? I was thinking of blowing it with a can of computer key board air?

Last edited:

Sgt Hulka

Whoops!!! Good luck on the gp card... My shop technician used a narrow tipped paint scraper of "just the right thickness" to carefully (even if it doesn't sound like it!) to get up into the gp card receptacle. He just gave the connections a good, gentle scraping. I've noticed the same kind of patina, even worse, on the fuse block connectors. They're next!!!!

Sgt Hulka

P.S. Yes, he also used some electrical component cleaning fluid of some kind (probably a volatile solvent like acetone). And I'm sorry, but the corrosion is tenacious enough, I doubt blowing air into it will work...

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Looks like the prices are going strong on ebay. Guess I will need to start getting rid of my large excess stock of gp cards. I did send one to a guy on saying if it works send me some money plus shipping. Guess it didn't work since I never heard back one way or the other (zing).

niferous

All,

I am going to take one to a printed circuit board shop that my company does business with tomorrow to see if they can copy the design. If they can and it's affordable I'll let everyone know.

CARNAC,

I think that was me and honestly I haven't tried it yet as I got the new one from Memphis Equipment. I will give it a go tonight and if it works or not I'll let you know.

fal_shooter

Does anyone have a bad one they would like to get rid of? I would like to see what it would take to repair them but I don't want to use mine to experiment on. If I can figure out how to fix them it could be good for all of us.

If you have some you want to get rid of send me a PM and I will give you my shipping address.

niferous

Ok I dropped a band new card off about a week ago and they are still looking at it. There is a lot of R&D cost in designing these things so the guy is doing it on the side as a favor.

I can say that the problem we are running into are those two small black boxes in the center of the block. He said everything is easy to mimic but those are not. He really has to take them off or else get a schematic of the card to duplicate that part. So for starters does anyone have a junk card they can send me so I can give it to him and he can cut up?

It's for a great cause!

Sgt Hulka

Yes. I have one. The issue is digging it up! Give me a day or two, but don't let me hang anything up if someone has another. Thanks for your research project!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks