• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to get a new starter?

cucvrus

M10 X 1.5 bolt grade 9.8 40 ft lb. M10 x 1.5 grade 10.9 48 ft lb. I would make them tight with a 3/8" ratchet and call it a day. If in doubt get the torque wrench out. The flange bolt is preferred but not always available. Use an SAE M10 flat washer.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A guy walked into a starter repair shop. He needed a replacement starter for his M1009. The guy said hey put this gear reduction starter on and you don't need the support bracket. The 28MT is a lighter starter and won't need that extra support.

I was told this story several times by guys with flywheels that were chewed out and broken bolts in the block. On Sunday a member here talked to me and it was mentioned again. He was told/suggested the same deal. Wrong answer. That also controls the force /twist from the compression of the diesel engine. The starter support must be in place. MUST be NOT OPTIONAL.

28MT GM still available PN 23502557 less then $20. list price
The direct drive is discontinued and can be made easily. I had a few fabricated to exact standards. Just wanted to mention it. The block hole at the support to block is metric M8 1.25 NOT 5/16 NC thread. The end on the starter stud I recommend a nylock flange or a nylock and a flat washer 1/4" x 20 NC thread nut.
"A guy walked into a starter repair shop." I was waiting for "he banged his head, it really hurt":)

Thanks Rick,

I used a 3/8 ratchet to remove the starter bolts, and was surprised that it didn't take much effort to get them out. Use of a washer is a good idea when using the new bolts.

M10 X 1.5 bolt grade 9.8 40 ft lb. M10 x 1.5 grade 10.9 48 ft lb. I would make them tight with a 3/8" ratchet and call it a day. If in doubt get the torque wrench out. The flange bolt is preferred but not always available. Use an SAE M10 flat washer.