• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to get a new starter?

cucvrus

M10 X 1.5 bolt grade 9.8 40 ft lb. M10 x 1.5 grade 10.9 48 ft lb. I would make them tight with a 3/8" ratchet and call it a day. If in doubt get the torque wrench out. The flange bolt is preferred but not always available. Use an SAE M10 flat washer.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A guy walked into a starter repair shop. He needed a replacement starter for his M1009. The guy said hey put this gear reduction starter on and you don't need the support bracket. The 28MT is a lighter starter and won't need that extra support.

I was told this story several times by guys with flywheels that were chewed out and broken bolts in the block. On Sunday a member here talked to me and it was mentioned again. He was told/suggested the same deal. Wrong answer. That also controls the force /twist from the compression of the diesel engine. The starter support must be in place. MUST be NOT OPTIONAL.

28MT GM still available PN 23502557 less then $20. list price
The direct drive is discontinued and can be made easily. I had a few fabricated to exact standards. Just wanted to mention it. The block hole at the support to block is metric M8 1.25 NOT 5/16 NC thread. The end on the starter stud I recommend a nylock flange or a nylock and a flat washer 1/4" x 20 NC thread nut.
"A guy walked into a starter repair shop." I was waiting for "he banged his head, it really hurt":)

Thanks Rick,

I used a 3/8 ratchet to remove the starter bolts, and was surprised that it didn't take much effort to get them out. Use of a washer is a good idea when using the new bolts.

M10 X 1.5 bolt grade 9.8 40 ft lb. M10 x 1.5 grade 10.9 48 ft lb. I would make them tight with a 3/8" ratchet and call it a day. If in doubt get the torque wrench out. The flange bolt is preferred but not always available. Use an SAE M10 flat washer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks