• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

where to put solarizer panel ??

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the ones I have seen were mounted exterior. Most mount it on the cowl of the vehicle just outside the windows. A few put it on top of their convoy light poles, if they have them. Mine were stupidly mounted on the side cab vent, not sure why but it never worked anyways since it had the power cord cut before it was surplussed out.

I'd say mount on the cowl, makes the most sense.

wsucougarx

They must be mounted on the exterior to be more efficient (ie: not behind glass). Place them where they'll get most sun through out the day. I have had them mounted directly on the hood, cowl, and on the hardtop roof.

Darwin T

on my M1028 it is mounted on the hood infront of the passenger.

on my M109a3 i bought some heavy duty velcro at Lowe's and stuck it to the roof of the box right behind the passenger seat almost straight over the battery box so the wire would hang straight and i used some of the little sticky zip ties to hold the wire to the front of the box. they have a little 1"x1" sticky foot that i stuck to the box and a zip tie that goes through a loop in the foot. sorry i don't have a picture of it.

Edit: here is a picture of the type of wire holder i used.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rustygears

I put mine on top of the hardtop cab roof. It's out of the way and less likely to get smashed by something being placed on top. It's pretty invisible there and dressed the leads up the back of the cab. I put them inside mesh sleeving and tacked it the rear of the cab using RTV. I put the little controller box inside the bat compartment and attached it to the battery carrier frame with a pair of zip ties.

Jones

Here are a few pictures to give you some ideas.
Exterior, facing the most prevailing sunshine. Roof or cowl is better than tailgate or other vertical surface. A flat tab off an antenna mount or convoy light mast would be other good spots.

Attachments

papakb

Mine is mounted in the center of the hood on my M996 HMMWV about 12" in front of the windshield, like the one in the picture above. That way curious fingers don't find it.

Kurt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks