• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheres all the folks using antifreeze in their tires ?????

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I THOUGHT THERE WERE ALOT OF FOLKS RUNNING ANTIFREEZE IN THEIR TIRES ! I was just wondering what results anyone had come to on the subject yes/no never again / love it what are your thoughts ?????

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never heard of that! 😳
Yea the lm/fm crowd on youtube all have a video of them sucking 14 oz into their tires (395s) with the tire flat and a bottle jack and a small hose to suck it out of the measuring cup i watched helicools guy do it and i swore someone in here was doing it but cant remember who ! Im fixing to put new tires and wheels on a jeep build im doing and wanting to confirm some like it before i have them mounted ! The reason i like the idea is that no matter what speed or how many miles ect its balanced !

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you get a hole in the tire the antifreeze lets you know ! But what happens when you might need to plug a tire in the woods to get back to town and tire flat cans i feel sure would be useless ! I watched a guy yday on utube crack his tires open for the first time since they were new and it was time to replace them and the inside of the tire was fine no problems rim unaffected and the antifreeze still in the tire so that pretty much sold me on it and will probably put some in my 1083 tires as well but did want to hear from others in here !

Guyfang

Staff member
I have seen it a lot in construction equipment here in Germany. Farm equipment also. As far as trucks? No idea, never seen it, but I do not fool with any trucks here. Will see if the guy that comes to pick up my scrap metal and electronics containers on Wednesday can tell me anything.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen it a lot in construction equipment here in Germany. Farm equipment also. As far as trucks? No idea, never seen it, but I do not fool with any trucks here. Will see if the guy that comes to pick up my scrap metal and electronics containers on Wednesday can tell me anything.
In farm/ag stuff theyre using calcium and water to weight the tires to get better traction/weight on the drive tires same with construction but theyre using alot of fluid ! In this were just taking ounces to move to the unbalanced part of the tire at different speeds ! I have friends that have run centramatics for years and years and swear by them and its a steel tube with oil and ball bearings that between the hub and the wheel like a hub cap and they work great on small occasions they might get a hole in them and the oil comes out but usally they are fairly old before they get to that download.jpg

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How would that work with the CTIS?
Helicools (dave anderson) shows just sucking it into the tire thru the valve stem which is past the ctis block and theres suposed to be a one way valve so air didnt back bleed back into the system from the tire so the antifreeze just gets sucked into the tire to roll around till the next time the tire gets broke down !

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have it in my tires. It definitely helps. I do *smell* it when airing down so it's likely going to disappear over time. Not having any issues with the CTIS or seeing any liquid. I played in the sand at 20 psi on Saturday for over an hour and never had any problem. Aired up to x-country and then highway and drove several hours home. I've been playing with different highway tire pressures also.

There's no risk to using it that I can find - plenty of reports of people using it with success and zero reports that I can find of it causing any kind of issues. 🤷‍♂️

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have it in my tires. It definitely helps. I do *smell* it when airing down so it's likely going to disappear over time. Not having any issues with the CTIS or seeing any liquid. I played in the sand at 20 psi on Saturday for over an hour and never had any problem. Aired up to x-country and then highway and drove several hours home. I've been playing with different highway tire pressures also.

There's no risk to using it that I can find - plenty of reports of people using it with success and zero reports that I can find of it causing any kind of issues. 🤷‍♂️
how much did you use in each tire ?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
how much did you use in each tire ?
I started out with 32 ounces (1 quart). Didn't seem like it was enough so I added a second 32 ounces. So I've got 2 quarts in each tire. Antifreeze is 9.4 lbs per gallon so that works out to 4.7 lbs of anti-freeze. The CTIS valve and hoses and mounting plate is about 2.5 lbs - though at a shorter radius. Given the tire and wheel assembly is something like 425 lbs it doesn't seem an unreasonable amount. It's part wild guessing and part trial and error and I highly suspect that over time it will vanish. I don't see a little extra being an issue and it hasn't been any issue at all for me.

coachgeo

yes their has been reports (Sean Filner) where fairly short time (two highway trips I think it was?) it essentially disappeared into Narnya. Seriously .... it left the chat..... when he removed tires for other reasons..... there was none left...

Last edited:

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used some for a while and switched to balance beads. I think it was pure anti-freeze. It seemed to do something but I never did all the tires, so there may have been more to give from it. I also probably didn't use enough.

One thing I did notice when went to change out to the beads: the 2 tires which I had it in had the hardware for the bead locker badly corroded. Not a big deal, but definitely more corroded than I expected.

The beads have been very successful for me. I will get a shake here and there before they do their magic, but the tires/truck/ride have been very smooth since going all in with them. If you're uptight and paranoid, they are a little more hassle to employ (see this post for how difficult I decided to make it on myself), but seem to be worth the effort.

The anti-freeze was super simple.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used some for a while and switched to balance beads. I think it was pure anti-freeze. It seemed to do something but I never did all the tires, so there may have been more to give from it. I also probably didn't use enough.

One thing I did notice when went to change out to the beads: the 2 tires which I had it in had the hardware for the bead locker badly corroded. Not a big deal, but definitely more corroded than I expected.

The beads have been very successful for me. I will get a shake here and there before they do their magic, but the tires/truck/ride have been very smooth since going all in with them. If you're uptight and paranoid, they are a little more hassle to employ (see this post for how difficult I decided to make it on myself), but seem to be worth the effort.

The anti-freeze was super simple.
Im going to do these jeep tires first but still undecided on the material to use fluid or beads

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I caved in and put hammer on weights on the new jeep tires ! I did put antifreeze in my 2 15 in trailer tires a few months back that seem to run smooth so far in new tires ! If and when they ever get broke down again in my lifetime i will let the masses know what i find !

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have put filtered/de-oiled second-hand AF from junkyards in my farm tractor tires for decades since the traditional calcium chloride is so corrosive it rots the rims out with the slightest leak in a tube or valve stem in a matter of a few years .. Of course we do this for tractive weight, not balance..

A fairly-new practice for farmers and construction is BEET JUICE for ballast .. Maybe you could try that instead of AF for balancing your tires, it's biodegradable and supposedly will not freeze.. I have even thought about using waste vegetable oil . As for special tools, there is something called a "water valve" that can be bought at any Tractor Supply chain store or similar .. They have a 3/4" water hose connection and screw onto the valve stem, and an air vent for the obvious reason

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks