• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which engine in an M35A1?

guyjr

I got a m35a1 from my uncle a couple years ago and just now getting around to really fixing things on it, needs new wheel cylinders to fix brakes and other odds and ends for safety. The real question I have is which engine do I have. He told me the original engine in it was a gasser. He had bought two deuces at the time and switched the multifuel from the donor and put it in this one. The donor has since been sold. So I don't know which type it is though. The data plate on the side of the motor doesn't seem to be there. I think I see the rivots where it was but no data plate. I also don't know which turbo it has as well. It's a pretty large turbo but on the plates it just has a bunch of numbers but no name or anything that is recognizable . Is there anything I can check to see which type I have? He said it was the continental motor but there is no proof if that's true or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I actually did a search and found out it is a 4d-454c turbo.. not sure which exactly that is but it helps.
I will post pictures tomorrow of turbo and motor as that may help more than anything.

Last edited:

fasttruck

The Army used to convert gas 2.5t and 5t trucks to continental diesels themselves. A kit was designed with the fuel filters, linkages and harnesses required to do the job. Whether or not the data plate in the cab was changed would be problematic.

DavidWymore

Hello, I am an A1 nerd, as is @stb64

That is the larger LDS turbo, indeed. Figuring out if the engine is LDS 465 or 427 might be a little trickier.

If the truck you have was a gasser, that would make it an M35 and it sounds like the engine came from an M35A1.

Good news, most parts, especially external will interchange between all the multifuel engines.

Lets see some pictures of the truck!

Does it have a foot starter? Hinged mud flaps? Rear exit exhaust? Tachometer mounted separately from the gauge panel? Dash Data plate will tell a lot.

guyjr

Hello, I am an A1 nerd, as is @stb64

That is the larger LDS turbo, indeed. Figuring out if the engine is LDS 465 or 427 might be a little trickier.

If the truck you have was a gasser, that would make it an M35 and it sounds like the engine came from an M35A1.

Good news, most parts, especially external will interchange between all the multifuel engines.

Lets see some pictures of the truck!

Does it have a foot starter? Hinged mud flaps? Rear exit exhaust? Tachometer mounted separately from the gauge panel? Dash Data plate will tell a lot.
Thanks for all the help guys. I will be putting up pics today or tomorrow morning. Haven't had much time to do anything this week. But yes it does have the foot starter, have to look at the mud flaps, it does have the rear exit exhaust (which is kinda nice as the exhaust noise isn't right next to the cab), and the tachometer is mounted next to the speedometer. I will take some pics of the data plates if i can get them to be legible.

guyjr

Here's some pics I took today, sorry it took so long. Finally got done replacing all the wheel cylinders and the brake hoses. Set the brake shoes set per the specs of the TM's and drove it around a little. Waiting on a turbo v band clamp and new air filter. I still have to fully attach the front bumper lol. So the tag says its a M35A1. I'll take one of the side of the engine where I think the tag should be tomorrow.

Attachments

DavidWymore

Looks like a rare survivor.

As far as the engine, maybe get numbers off the injection pump. I suspect the only way to really tell would be to pull a cylinder head.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice! What is the frame stamped serial number starting with M? Might be able to get the registration number from the historical VIN thread.

DavidWymore

If the passenger rear engine mount has rivets to the frame, it is original. If it has bolts, it was likely a gasser changed to multi.

If the front engine crossmember is vertically oriented rectangular tubing, it is likely A1. If it is open channel laid "flat", it would be A2 era.

Maverick1701

Yea I like it too. I thought about putting a stack on it but kinda like how all the exhaust noise isnt near the cab.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
oh man I agree 100%. My truck is an A2 with the stack. After riding in a truck with the rear dump I wish mine was rear dump instead.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks