• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which Harbor Freight impact wrench?

mbwarner

I've see posts recently regarding Harbor Freight 1" impact wrenches that work well for lug nuts.

I looked at their website and found two, so are you all using the $150 cheapo impact wrench or the $299 cheapo impact wrench?

TIA. I may suggest to Santa that she find a stocking big enough to put one in. :razz:

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They go on sale frequently. I have the cheaper cheap gun and paid $99. A note on the porkchop, if you already have a geared lug wrench it all but eliminates the need for one as it drives the nut off against the thimble. A search would be wise as there are other factors to consider such as air supply.

jasonjc

I have the ceper HF 1" gun I had it for years and have taken a lot of wheel off with it and it all ways does a great job.

PaFarmer

I bought the 3/4" Earthquake impact gun from HF, it was $270, but it has a lot more power than my 1/2" Ingersol Rand. The cheaper 1" guns require a lot more CFM or so said the boxes at the store.

bottleworks

Get the correct size tool. (The $99 HF 1" impact). It will run off of the truck's air. Only get to do one lug per minute due to the air demand.

DanMartin

I have the HF 1" referenced above. It's a good unit and does go on sale for $99 periodically. You will need 1/2" line and good 1/2" couplers to make it work at it's peak efficiency. I also use a torque stick to install the nuts and cap screws to the correct torque rating (cheaper than a torque wrench, and about 1000 times faster).

Plan on another $50 or so in hose, and connectors if you get a big 1" impact wrench to make it work right. These things are all about CFM, not so much pressure.

randyscycle

I picked up the Harbor Freight 3/4" impact made by CP several years ago. It was about $109 then, but it works well. It took a few lugnuts off the deuce that I couldn't break loose with a big bar standing on it. I don't use this gun every day, but it does get used hard when I do, and keeping it oiled and running clean air after a water seperator has kept all my air tools in good order and working for years, cheap or expensive.

Do as mentioned above and get a good 1/2" air hose with the big fittings, or else you won't get the full power from it. They are air hogs.

jollygreen

mbwarner
I know you dont want to spend the money but snap-on sells an amazing 1/2" impact gun that has 1700 ft lbs of force, i have one and i beat it daily. I work on heavy equipment for living. I do think $400-600 is alot but i shucked and jived the snap-on man down. Wrench turners dont make that much in the beggining. But none the less it is a awsome gun and would put it up aginst any other 1/2" gun out there.

woodwalker

no offense guys but F the Chineses look around ans see if a US made one is avalabe they cost more because the peolpe who make them are our neibors and want to earn a decent wage . we are going down the drain here and the only people who can stop it is us.

dependable

My overall experiance with Harbor freight has been dissapointing. Sure you can buy a n industrial looking tool for low money, but they usually won't hold up to actual commercial use. They are fine if you want to use them a couple of times a year, but even then,.... anyway, you usually get what you pay for, I have no room in my shop for cheep junk.

goldneagle

I bought a used CP Brand 1" impact off EBAY last year. Paid about $165 for it. Works great! It's the same one the tire shop in town uses. Also got really good deals on USA made couplers and 1/2" hoses on Ebay... I'ts a good place to find deals if you look long enough!2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks