• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which Harbor Freight impact wrench?

mbwarner

I've see posts recently regarding Harbor Freight 1" impact wrenches that work well for lug nuts.

I looked at their website and found two, so are you all using the $150 cheapo impact wrench or the $299 cheapo impact wrench?

TIA. I may suggest to Santa that she find a stocking big enough to put one in. :razz:

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They go on sale frequently. I have the cheaper cheap gun and paid $99. A note on the porkchop, if you already have a geared lug wrench it all but eliminates the need for one as it drives the nut off against the thimble. A search would be wise as there are other factors to consider such as air supply.

jasonjc

I have the ceper HF 1" gun I had it for years and have taken a lot of wheel off with it and it all ways does a great job.

PaFarmer

I bought the 3/4" Earthquake impact gun from HF, it was $270, but it has a lot more power than my 1/2" Ingersol Rand. The cheaper 1" guns require a lot more CFM or so said the boxes at the store.

bottleworks

Get the correct size tool. (The $99 HF 1" impact). It will run off of the truck's air. Only get to do one lug per minute due to the air demand.

DanMartin

I have the HF 1" referenced above. It's a good unit and does go on sale for $99 periodically. You will need 1/2" line and good 1/2" couplers to make it work at it's peak efficiency. I also use a torque stick to install the nuts and cap screws to the correct torque rating (cheaper than a torque wrench, and about 1000 times faster).

Plan on another $50 or so in hose, and connectors if you get a big 1" impact wrench to make it work right. These things are all about CFM, not so much pressure.

randyscycle

I picked up the Harbor Freight 3/4" impact made by CP several years ago. It was about $109 then, but it works well. It took a few lugnuts off the deuce that I couldn't break loose with a big bar standing on it. I don't use this gun every day, but it does get used hard when I do, and keeping it oiled and running clean air after a water seperator has kept all my air tools in good order and working for years, cheap or expensive.

Do as mentioned above and get a good 1/2" air hose with the big fittings, or else you won't get the full power from it. They are air hogs.

jollygreen

mbwarner
I know you dont want to spend the money but snap-on sells an amazing 1/2" impact gun that has 1700 ft lbs of force, i have one and i beat it daily. I work on heavy equipment for living. I do think $400-600 is alot but i shucked and jived the snap-on man down. Wrench turners dont make that much in the beggining. But none the less it is a awsome gun and would put it up aginst any other 1/2" gun out there.

woodwalker

no offense guys but F the Chineses look around ans see if a US made one is avalabe they cost more because the peolpe who make them are our neibors and want to earn a decent wage . we are going down the drain here and the only people who can stop it is us.

dependable

My overall experiance with Harbor freight has been dissapointing. Sure you can buy a n industrial looking tool for low money, but they usually won't hold up to actual commercial use. They are fine if you want to use them a couple of times a year, but even then,.... anyway, you usually get what you pay for, I have no room in my shop for cheep junk.

goldneagle

I bought a used CP Brand 1" impact off EBAY last year. Paid about $165 for it. Works great! It's the same one the tire shop in town uses. Also got really good deals on USA made couplers and 1/2" hoses on Ebay... I'ts a good place to find deals if you look long enough!2cents