• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which NOCO Genius Charger for MEP-803A?

CT-Mike

So I am looking at either the NOCO G26000 or G7200 as a battery tender for my 803.

Do I need the 26 amps of the G26000 or is the G7200 more than enough, and half the price?

The MEP has a pair of Optima Red Tops if that matters.

My plan is to mount the charger in the basement and extend the cabling to reach the machine outside.

Thanks.

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The G7200 will be plenty. It will just take a longer to top them back up when necessary. Once they are topped up and floating you aren't putting any real amps into them anyway so its a waste.

CT-Mike

Thanks Chris, that is the way I was leaning. No sense spending twice the cash if it isn't necessary.

Chrispyny

If you are buying the charger strictly to keep the optimas topped off, wouldn't a pulse tech is24l solargizer do this for half the cost of a g7200?
Don't get me wrong, i love my g7200 i just bought last month, and i needed a quality charger for the garage anyway as i was sick of borrowing dads walmart speshul when i needed it, but i also just paid $50 shipped for the is24l new in box from a guy on the big bay auction site. I did an offer now and he bit for $50. If you are just looking to keep the optimas fresh and topped off like i am, why not go this route?!

CT-Mike

I haven't heard of that charger, but I will check them out. Does this charger have automatic desulfation as well?

Chrispyny

The pulse tech does, yes. Dunno about our NOCO. I guess yes as it does have an automatic repair feature.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

I think someone did not explain what the items are...

NOCO Genius G7200 is the minimum unit that does 12v and 24v stuff. It does regular and AGM batteries. The smaller units do not do 24 volts. The G26000 works for the guys with lots of batteries like the 2.5 ton and 5 ton trucks.
24v charging through slave port thread

The Pulse Tech item he is referring to is the Solargizer IS24L 24 volt solar charger/desulfator.

The pulse tech item is nice, it works best when you use a real charger to top the batteries, and then use the Solargizer IS24L to keep them maintained.

If you are going to keep a dedicated maintenance charger on it, you could go with a Water Resistant Power Tender Plus 24V @ 2.5A

If you have power nearby, you could use a NOCO G7200 on it and other things. Or dedicated, use a Battery Tender 24volt. If the unit will sit outside with good sunshine, the Solargizer works.

CT-Mike

Daybreak,

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the PulseTech was solar - that doesn't work for me due to the generator being on the shady side of the house. I think I will go with the NOCO 7200 mounted in the basement and run the leads in some conduit out to the batteries.

mlaxton

So some time has gone by on this thread. I’m curious what’s everyone experience with NOCO vs Battery Tender. I am getting ready to tuck my recently purchased unit away in my garage after putting it through its tests. It will be taken out every couple months and ran until a hurricane hits south Florida. Anyway I have always used battery tender on my boats and hot rods and they seem to do the job. I am most concerned with safety as I have children and the unit will be plugged in, in the garage. After reading this thread I’m going to go with one of the two pictured below. What’s everyone’s suggestions? Unit is 803a 6000E4BF-BBC6-4C78-9803-15AA462D85C3.jpeg8D87667D-461F-4DC5-B716-44A028B431A1.jpeg

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased a NOCO Genius G7200 several years ago. It was so good, I now have three of them. This was after I also purchased some other brands that were less expensive, but junk. I like the NOCO Genius G7200 because it handles both 12 and 24 volts and also standard batteries and AGM batteries. I have one on my deuce, one on my M1030M1 motorcycle and one on my MEP003A generator that has two Optima Red Tops.

dav5

I purchased a NOCO Genius G7200 several years ago. It was so good, I now have three of them. This was after I also purchased some other brands that were less expensive, but junk. I like the NOCO Genius G7200 because it handles both 12 and 24 volts and also standard batteries and AGM batteries. I have one on my deuce, one on my M1030M1 motorcycle and one on my MEP003A generator that has two Optima Red Tops.
I did the same. Bought one for my 803A and was impressed so I bought a second one for my 831A

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Both brands are top notch. The NOCO G7200 is no longer made, so its hard to find. It's nice because it does 12v or 24v. I too, like others here, own 3 of them. I also own Battery Tender products, all 12v models.
If it will be mounted internally, go for that weatherproof one you pictured.

I twill depend on how you want the connection, and all around other uses.

mlaxton

Howdy,
Both brands are top notch. The NOCO G7200 is no longer made, so its hard to find. It's nice because it does 12v or 24v. I too, like others here, own 3 of them. I also own Battery Tender products, all 12v models.
If it will be mounted internally, go for that weatherproof one you pictured.

I twill depend on how you want the connection, and all around other uses.
It will be used strictly for this unit stored in my garage. Undecided where I will mount it, most likely on the wall next to it. This way I will see the status light as I pass by.

Lovetofix

Is it better to maintain two 12V batteries that are linked in parallel with a 24V maintainer or two smaller 12V maintainers?
I have been told that if one battery ages faster than the other or if (like in the case of my M817) there is a “center tap” to get 12V for small loads, the batteries will discharge at different rates. When that happens and you are recharging them in series with 24V, or maintenance charging, the charger only “sees” the combined voltage and with the way charging voltage works, the lower battery never gets fully charged again. That makes the lower battery age faster because it never got fully recharged and the cycle gets worse each time you use it.

Chainbreaker

Is it better to maintain two 12V batteries that are linked in parallel with a 24V maintainer or two smaller 12V maintainers?
I subscribe to the "If you have 2 batteries, use 2 charger/maintainers" because each battery gets exactly what it needs to reach its fully charged state.

Another option not mentioned in this thread is the "Battery Minder" brand. I have been using them on my generators and they have performed flawlessly. I have 2 of the older 1500 Battery Minders that have been running continuously since 2012 with no hiccups. I have 4 of the newer 1510 Battery Minders and they are performing great as well. They have desulfation, temperature compensation, float charging and come with a 10 year warranty.

Just another option to throw into the mix. They are all good manufacturers!

wbuhrman

Is anyone using the Noco Genius GENM2 2-bank on-board battery charger? Each bank would connect to one of the batteries independently maintaining them. They handle a wide variety of battery types including wet cell, gel, and AGM from a well respected brand.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy
Best method for 2 x 12v batteries in military stuff. (Bought at the same time, matched 12v battery set)
Charging together at 24v is good. Charging at 12v each is best.

Even thou I charge at 24v through the slave port, I also remove the NOCO G7200, and put the clips on to charge each battery by itself at times. Since it is a smart charger, I can leave it on one battery for a few days, and then put it on the other battery for a few days. The G7200 is great just to have around for the fact it also does 12v.

Yes, a double hookup battery tender with each battery getting charged and watched is the absolute best method.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks