• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which NOCO Genius Charger for MEP-803A?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is anyone using the Noco Genius GENM2 2-bank on-board battery charger? Each bank would connect to one of the batteries independently maintaining them. They handle a wide variety of battery types including wet cell, gel, and AGM from a well respected brand.
Yes I use this solution, works well. I also picked up a G7200 just for charging up batteries separately. Let me find the thread where it shows the Genm2 in use.

wbuhrman

Yes I use this solution, works well. I also picked up a G7200 just for charging up batteries separately. Let me find the thread where it shows the Genm2 in use.
Thanks for the response and link on how you mounted the charger. I ordered my GENM2 yesterday and am awaiting its arrival. Only had my 803A for a little over a week and still a lot to learn.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are numerous places it could be mounted (like right above the dead crank switch on the inside). On the machine I provided info on, it had an arctic preheater kit on it, which took up that space. Take your time once the part is in your hand, and decide what makes sense for your life. On the new machine I am putting it on, I very well might put it either above the dead crank, or near the air inlet pipe on the other side.

Lovetofix

Does the GENM2 specifically, or maintainers in general need disconnected while the generator is running? I looked it up and couldn’t find anything solid on that.
I am getting ready to commission an MEP-803A in a system where it will be automatically started by an inverter system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, according to a NOCO rep I spoke with on the phone, before going with that solution. Thats why I mounted my power entry unit near the dead crank switch door... when I turn the switch to ON, I remember to unplug the power cord hanging out of the side of the machine.

wbuhrman

There are numerous places it could be mounted (like right above the dead crank switch on the inside). On the machine I provided info on, it had an arctic preheater kit on it, which took up that space. Take your time once the part is in your hand, and decide what makes sense for your life. On the new machine I am putting it on, I very well might put it either above the dead crank, or near the air inlet pipe on the other side.
Thanks for the suggestion. I plan to install it near the dead crank switch on the wall with some 3M extreme fastener material. Its sort of like velcro, but isn't hook and loop (has no gender) and is rated for up to 10 lb. and no hole drilling. I've used it in a previous project and it worked really well. Also hoping the lights on the charger are a reminder to unplug it before starting the genset. Still have to solve the power input, but your solution looks good.

therooster2001

Is anyone using the Noco Genius GENM2 2-bank on-board battery charger? Each bank would connect to one of the batteries independently maintaining them. They handle a wide variety of battery types including wet cell, gel, and AGM from a well respected brand.

Yes, I have those 2 bank ones. They rock, BUT be very aware they are 8 amp total. Probably not enough for our big trucks unless it's just maintaining them. Each side is 4A a piece, so not a lot of charging capability. The NOCO G7200 is 12V lead is 7.2A, and 3.6A in 24v lead. I use the 2 bank on my motorcycles. Another slight annoyance with the 2 bank ones is that they were made to be hooked up to the batteries permanently (I think their use case is marine boat batteries), so are missing the cable connectors the G7200's have, so if you go that route, prepare to cut off the ends and do something different (that's what I did, I had some parts left over from the other 3 that I have as well). My suggestion is to find a G7200. I also bought those HMMWV slave cable ends and are back feeding it through the slave cable at 24V, never had an issue (except when I left the master on... oops). The slave cable route allowed me to use the quick disconnect stuff to have slave "accessories" like a spotlight, and even a 24v drill in an emergency, driven off the slave, but that's another thread..

Last edited:

mlaxton

Howdy
Best method for 2 x 12v batteries in military stuff. (Bought at the same time, matched 12v battery set)
Charging together at 24v is good. Charging at 12v each is best.

Even thou I charge at 24v through the slave port, I also remove the NOCO G7200, and put the clips on to charge each battery by itself at times. Since it is a smart charger, I can leave it on one battery for a few days, and then put it on the other battery for a few days. The G7200 is great just to have around for the fact it also does 12v.

Yes, a double hookup battery tender with each battery getting charged and watched is the absolute best method.
Do you need to unhook the battery terminals in the unit to charge both separately? Or can you leave them unit all wired and just put them both on? Or can you just break the jump fro one battery to the other?

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you need to unhook the battery terminals in the unit to charge both separately? Or can you leave them unit all wired and just put them both on? Or can you just break the jump fro one battery to the other?
I do not know. I would go with LITD said. He made contact with the company about a charger.

Lovetofix

There is no need to disconnect the batteries. Just make sure to hook up to the proper polarity of each individual battery and don’t let the jumper connection confuse you. Even in larger battery banks with many batteries and a combination of parallel and series connections you can charge any battery within that bank without removing it from the circuit. Just make sure your charger voltage is set to match the single battery and your polarity is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokem joe

Thanks for the suggestion. I plan to install it near the dead crank switch on the wall with some 3M extreme fastener material. Its sort of like velcro, but isn't hook and loop (has no gender) and is rated for up to 10 lb. and no hole drilling. I've used it in a previous project and it worked really well. Also hoping the lights on the charger are a reminder to unplug it before starting the genset. Still have to solve the power input, but your solution looks good.
Run the 120v power through a 24v relay. It will cut the 120v power to the charger when 24v relay gets voltage from starting sequence.

smokem joe

I ran off of one of the existing relays in the control cube. I can't remember which one off the top of my head. I'd have to take a look. Just take a voltmeter and find a terminal that goes hot through all phases of the master control switch except for off. If you have the newer style relays that you can actually see them move you can look at them while moving the switch to get an idea where to start

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats a smart way of doing it. I like the lower tech approach myself, but thats definitely a good way to do it.

mesias

I went with the NOCO GENM2, I already have their 4 bank version in the boat and they are great chargers/maintainers. I installed it in the door with #10 machine screws into each mounting hole, they are holding very tight. Placing it above the dead crank switch will block changing the air filter. I'm looking into the the relay method to disconnect it while running.

20200503_173458.jpg

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went with the NOCO GENM2, I already have their 4 bank version in the boat and they are great chargers/maintainers. I installed it in the door with #10 machine screws into each mounting hole, they are holding very tight. Placing it above the dead crank switch will block changing the air filter. I'm looking into the the relay method to disconnect it while running.
Very decent looking installation.

Louis9113

I may have read this thread incorrectly, but it seems like most recommend the NOCO G7200 24V charger which is no longer made.

Question 1
I need to use a dual bank 24V charger on my MEP 803 and wire it to both batteries while they are connected to the get set?

Question 2
If I use a dual bank 12v charger, I need to disconnect the batteries from the gen set?

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may have read this thread incorrectly, but it seems like most recommend the NOCO G7200 24V charger which is no longer made.

Question 1
I need to use a dual bank 24V charger on my MEP 803 and wire it to both batteries while they are connected to the get set?

Question 2
If I use a dual bank 12v charger, I need to disconnect the batteries from the gen set?
Howdy,
Yes, the Noco G7200 is discontinued.
If you are going to mount onboard, then the Noco marine onboard 2 bank would work. If you want to move it around, a Noco 2x2 bank will work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks