• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which paint for my 72 Deuce?

TacticalTruck

Hey, of course, it's your truck, paint it whatever color you like. [thumbzup] They look great. He just asked what was correct. Here's my M548 I painted w/ Randolf for reference.

Jeff

Attachments

gbooth

Rizzo.... Here is a shot of the Bow holders as for the over top bows I stow them under the bed and have never had a problem with them either.

Lax... Here is a close up of the siren And some flag holders I made.

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TacticalTruck said:
As the Village Idiot has correctly told us, Gillespie 24087 is too brown for Vietnam era. In the '80s the military changed some of their paint numbers around and what was 24087 became 24084. I'll never use Gillespie or Aervo again. I only use Randolfproducts.com paint. It's about twice as much as Gillespie but if you have a 30 dollar truck then use 30 dollar a gallon paint.

Rizzo-the dropside beds have a provision to stow the up-rights in the front of the bed.

Jeff[/quote

That would be randolphproducts.com just for clarification. Which paint from Randolph did you use?]

rizzo

TacticalTruck said:
As the Village Idiot has correctly told us, Gillespie 24087 is too brown for Vietnam era. In the '80s the military changed some of their paint numbers around and what was 24087 became 24084. I'll never use Gillespie or Aervo again. I only use Randolfproducts.com paint. It's about twice as much as Gillespie but if you have a 30 dollar truck then use 30 dollar a gallon paint.

Rizzo-the dropside beds have a provision to stow the up-rights in the front of the bed.

Jeff
that truck doesn.t look like a drop side

TacticalTruck

Rizzo, you are correct, it is not a dropside. I couldn't tell from his initial shot because the sides were too dark in the picture but he is doing essentially what the dropsides do but the dropside has a provision to mount the uprights in the front of the front rack and there are slots cut into the front rail of the bed to allow the uprights to slide all the way down. He is using dropside bows which breakdown easily as shown.

BigMike, Here's a shot of a Mutt I painted yesterday and a shot of the paint can label.

Jeff

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That Mutt looks good!

gbooth

You are correct The truck is not a drop-side I am using The drop side bows be cause they were giving and I don't look no gift horse in the mouth. I fabed the brackets so I could keep all things together.

Jeff.... Nice Mutt

TacticalTruck

Thanks guys, low res photos do wonders. I didn't have time to fix the fender or swap out the USMC bumper for an Army one.
The truck is working this week. Also, dropside bows are much easier to deal with because they break down so easily, no matter which kind of bed you have.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TacticalTruck said:
Rizzo, you are correct, it is not a dropside. I couldn't tell from his initial shot because the sides were too dark in the picture but he is doing essentially what the dropsides do but the dropside has a provision to mount the uprights in the front of the front rack and there are slots cut into the front rail of the bed to allow the uprights to slide all the way down. He is using dropside bows which breakdown easily as shown.

BigMike, Here's a shot of a Mutt I painted yesterday and a shot of the paint can label.

Jeff
Thanks for the label shot. The randolph color looks a bit brown as well. Maybe next to each other, the randolph is less brown than the Gillespie. Thanks again for the pics...nice mutt!

JDToumanian

Having recently received 4 gallons of Gillespie 24087 for my deuce, I was a bit concerned about this thread... I opened one of the gallons today and painted some test pieces. I am now much relieved! It looks no different (that I can see) than TacticalTruck's M548 or mutt, or gbooth's deuce. It looks greener (less brown) than Armada's M1009 and maybe a bit greener than the M108 shown on TNJ Murray's site. http://www.tnjmurray.com/forsale_photos/M108wrecker.JPG I rather like the brownish look, but the greener shade looks more "correct" to me...

I also have a 1960s Coleman lantern (surplus) and it looks identical to my paint samples, and also there are some parts of my deuce with original paint... inside the doors, map compartment, tool box, etc. that are matches.

So this leaves the question, Is Gillespie inconsistent or is there some other factor?... perhaps the type of thinner or primer used, or maybe the addition of a hardener, flattener, UV stabilizer, or any other additive? Gillespie recommends only xylene as a thinner and no additives should be used (color shift can result)...

Regards,
Jon

Lax

Jon,
That is very good news! Last week I also ordered 4 gallons of Gillespie 24087 for my deuce. Almost exactly one day BEFORE I read the note about Gillespie beeing too brown. I was not happy all weekend. I should have the paint today or tomorrow and I am very relieved to hear your paint looks good. I was getting worried!

All the pictures posted for this thread looked pretty brown to me. :? Thanks.

67Beast

From my experiance using Gillespie 24087 on both my vehicles, I can say that the primer used underneath the paint does make a difference. I used Gillespies dark red oxcide primer and it is quite a bit darker than standard automotive red primer. I have a few small items under the hood of my M715 that I primed with regular auto red primer and when you hold those pieces up next to ones that where done with the Gillespie dark red primer, you can definatlly see a difference. The pieces primed with standard auto red primer have a more brownish tone to them and the ones with Gillespie primer are more greenish. I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that the 24087 paint seams to be a little translucent and the primer color reflects through it in bright sunlight. This is probably why when I bought my paint they told me that I should paint a minimun of three good heavy coats when painting with the 24087. When it is really bright and sunny out, my trucks have a slight brownish tint to them, and when it's overcast they look dark green. Here are several pics of the same vehicles paint with Gillespie 24087 but under different lighting conditions.

gbooth

Dave is right I also have noticed that the light plays a importance part as to how the color looks. When I have mine parked inside and under the florescent lights it looks darker than when parked in sun light.

As for primer I had the Jeep bead blasted and primed with a gray epoxy primer the truck with automotive grade red oxide and I can not tell much difference in color But the jeep has almost 2 gallons of paint on it.

Armada

You guys are right. The M1009 looks browner in the sunlight than it actually is. Also, it takes a couple weeks for the color to 'settle' after painting.
The picture I posted was taken just a few days after it was sprayed, and the brown has toned down since then. I also used Gillespie red oxide primer, and hardener in the 24087.
I had my M101 trailer painted about a week ago, and with it sitting behind the cucv, it looked like 2 different colors for the first few days, even though the paint was from the same can. Browner in color than the truck. It has now cured to the point of almost matching the cucv. A few more days and it will be a perfect match.

rizzo

Armada said:
You guys are right. The M1009 looks browner in the sunlight than it actually is. Also, it takes a couple weeks for the color to 'settle' after painting.
The picture I posted was taken just a few days after it was sprayed, and the brown has toned down since then. I also used Gillespie red oxide primer, and hardener in the 24087.
I had my M101 trailer painted about a week ago, and with it sitting behind the cucv, it looked like 2 different colors for the first few days, even though the paint was from the same can. Browner in color than the truck. It has now cured to the point of almost matching the cucv. A few more days and it will be a perfect match.
how about some pics?

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no experience with Randolph products, but plenty over 20 years with Gillespie and Aervoe. Never once has the "G" paint let me down. It holds finish out of the can when cut with Xylene in our merciless sun. My M37 was done in '85 and it now needs a repaint, but still looks OK.

The "A" paint has let me down EVERY time I used it, regardless of "reformulation". USA and USMC greens are off, and they usually run to a shade of pink in less than 500 days.

dg

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at the images above. I see a lot of brown, which is the result I don't want for my XM757. The sideview of siren above is the "right" look as I see it.
My sample color patches below show the 24084 (Aervoe) being much greener than the Gillespie 24087, which is clearly brownish. The Aervoe closely matches the original color on the door of the truck visible lower in the picture.

If Randolph is anything like the Gillespie 24087, I will have to hunt again for a match like the Aervoe. Right out of the can, Aervoe looks very good (I know it turns pink etc).

The second image is from Korea Winter of '70-'71 taken by yours truly. The front of the M151 is not brown, even if the colors are not particularily accurate.

(In the top image, A=Aervoe and G=Gillespie)

Attachments