• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

which tire you would prefer

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello together

I hope my question is not too stupid and has not already been asked 2000 times.
I am just about to fill the waiting time for my 1123 with shopping.
Besides the rims on which it will eventually arrive, I have ordered a set of 24bolt.
Since I also assume that the tires on which he rolls out of the depot are certainly ancient, I need two sets of tires.

I also have two different uses for my 1123.
Use off-road (field, sand, mud) and to the transporter for my race car; so light trailer pull on the highway.

I'm doing a little hard to find the tires and so I'm first off to my usual source.

So my current status

Road use
Goodyear Wrangler MT at 37x12.5
only link to a german shop found... but thats perfect for me

or

Super Swamper SAM-93 at 38x12.5

or

Super Swamper RXM-32 at 37x12.50

Use off road
Super Swamper ROX-22 at 37.12.5

or

Super Swamper SSR-45R at 37x12.5

or

Super Swamper SAM-96 at 38x12.5

Since I unfortunately know neither the vehicle nor the tire dimensions standh eich there currently something alone in the forest.
On my RAM and Jeep I also drive in light terrain and on the road with the BFG AT KO2. After all these years, I find this tire with the perfect balance between light off-road and road. And if it were available for 16.5" I would choose it as a street tire.

I hope now not that everyone claps the hand on the forehead and call out "oh no, not another newbie tire thread".
But I'm standing there right now completely in the forest.

thx,

Gerd

Last edited:

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stock wheels limit tire choices for sure. If you change wheels, you can open up too many more choices. The Bajas and MT's seem pretty good all around to me. MTR's have a better offroad bite than the other two in my opinion. But should you choose an aftermarket wheel like black rhino or a dodge ram 2500-3500 wheel, you can also change to 18" tires and that gets many more available choices. Not cheap, but worth it. I dislike swampers for any type of road driving, but again, that is just me.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve had experience with all of them except in smaller sizes.

The MT where a previous version, however where a good all around tire, but wore down fast.

The SSR where good off road, not great anywhere else, chunked, cracked, and split within a year of mounting. Warranted two that did the same thing. I think this was right after Interco moved their plant to Mexico, and guessing it was a bad rubber compound.

The SAM is one of the best mud tires I’ve ever had. Poor all around on road performance, very noisy, no good in slick snow, decent in deep snow.

The RXM are the best all around tire I have ever owned. I ran them on a fairly heavy truck and occasionally pushed snow, they where amazing in the snow for such an aggressive tire. They where fairly quiet, did good in the mud, wore very slowly, did good on wet pavement, and didn’t squirm around while pulling heavy trailers.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate to be a bummer but I would wait until I actually had possession of my trucks before spending allot of cash, on another post here you will see one member only getting a refund after MANY months of waiting, there will be plenty of time as you sort out all the problems that come with the trucks to begin with.

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Understand your concerns and would think so under normal conditions. Thank you for that.
My problem is that; between me and virtually everything I can get at affordable prices for the truck lies mostly the Atlantic Ocean. With the associated transportation costs. Or there are parts that are simply not available here. Or they are not delivered outside the USA for legal reasons. Which does not apply to tires now. Or wait, weren't the Wrangler MT once banned from export?
So I try to use the chance to ship the parts all together with the truck in the container.
I know that with an old car there are always all kinds of funny problems.This can happen even if you, like myself, have driven the car thousands of miles across the US. My astonishment was great when I had the Firebird in the garage at home on the lifting platform and dedicated myself to the rust. Or in detail the engine.

But back to the topic.
Since I can only see the tires on pictures, and even if I would see them in person, I am to some extent dependent on the experiences of others. That's why I started this topic.

In the case of the tires, it's even more tricky due to the sourcing situation here in Europe. If I pick up the car in Bremerhaven at the North Sea, then I drive this on own axle up to Switzerland. That is just under 1000mi.
If I find on the tour that the tires on the truck are junk or I'm stuck with it I'm completely stuck. Without replacement.
I even assume with certainty that these are ancient and scrap.
So why then stand again at exactly the same point as now?
I don't know the tires and only have pictures....

So please, I understand your concerns as a bummer ;-)
And I'm happy if I can get a par other opinions.

Swfb

They often appear for sales, here in The Netherlands.

Hummer banden 37x12.5R16.5 gebruikt en nieuw! grote voorraad
Op aanvraag

Goodyear wrangler hummer dodge w 200 4x4 mud. 5 stuks
€ 600,00

GetSum

All of the Steel Soldiers responses are spot on.

For your stated use of the rig, my vote is the Goodyear MT b/c there are a few vendors who have large inventory of 100% tread take offs that have been mounted but zero miles. I sourced 4 for about $175/ea delivered in 2021. In my opinion you can’t beat the value at that price. I assume the govt is rotating them out due to age? For that price you could throw 8 in your container getting the rig across the big pond and might be good to go for a while.

IMHO tires are consumables so I would not get hung up on it. I’ve run allot of tread patterns and if you can get a thumb within the lug spacing she’ll eat. If not that’s a Mall Crawler AT tire that’s likely good for everything except mud. The only way the mud tire tread is going to last is not drive the rig. If you don’t drive it…they’ll still dry rot w/ time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frauhansen, I am concerned.

Exporting a vehicle to Europe is a process. HMMWV’s are considered weapons. Export is highly regulated. You need to go through a qualified exporter.

If I recall correctly, you can’t just buy one and have it sent to Switzerland. All this money you’re spending before you get the rig is potentially wasted.

What steps have you gone through to confirm that you will be able to legally ship your vehicle to Switzerland and be able to take possession of the vehicle once it arrives?

Just winning an auction does not ensure you will get to keep the vehicle once they find out that it is destined for export to a foreign nation. You can lose the vehicle AND all your money.

Just an FYI.

Last edited:

MattNC

I would agree the stock wrangler MTRs will work. They are not the best in rain and snow on the highway but are a good all around tire on the stock wheels. The lack of sipping cuts just makes them slippery in rain so be careful.

has the truck been serviced by anyone before shipping. Making it 1000 miles out the gate from govplanet sounds challenging. I’d bring a complete set of all the fluids including gear oil for the hubs and diffs, a very complete tool set, spare hoses, belts, hose clamps. A breaker bar for tire changes, a 24v jumper if available, fuel filter, a high lifting Jack. Lots of duct tape. The list goes!

MattNC

This will also be a great adventure so take some pictures and videos to share. The last guy who tried doing 1000 miles out of the gate at govplanet got 1.8 million views on YouTube!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hello together

I hope my question is not too stupid and has not already been asked 2000 times.
I am just about to fill the waiting time for my 1123 with shopping.
Besides the rims on which it will eventually arrive, I have ordered a set of 24bolt.
Since I also assume that the tires on which he rolls out of the depot are certainly ancient, I need two sets of tires.

I also have two different uses for my 1123.
Use off-road (field, sand, mud) and to the transporter for my race car; so light trailer pull on the highway.

I'm doing a little hard to find the tires and so I'm first off to my usual source.

So my current status

Road use
Goodyear Wrangler MT at 37x12.5
only link to a german shop found... but thats perfect for me

or

Super Swamper SAM-93 at 38x12.5

or

Super Swamper RXM-32 at 37x12.50

Use off road
Super Swamper ROX-22 at 37.12.5

or

Super Swamper SSR-45R at 37x12.5

or

Super Swamper SAM-96 at 38x12.5

Since I unfortunately know neither the vehicle nor the tire dimensions standh eich there currently something alone in the forest.
On my RAM and Jeep I also drive in light terrain and on the road with the BFG AT KO2. After all these years, I find this tire with the perfect balance between light off-road and road. And if it were available for 16.5" I would choose it as a street tire.

I hope now not that everyone claps the hand on the forehead and call out "oh no, not another newbie tire thread".
But I'm standing there right now completely in the forest.

thx,

Gerd
There’s good news for Soldiers driving HMMWVs, or High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicles, on icy and snowy roads. It’s called the BF Goodrich KO2 tire with a three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) rating, a symbol branded on a tire's sidewall indicating the product meets required performance criteria to be considered severe-snow service-rated.

AAVP7

To add my two cents:
I´d seriously think about traveling 1,000 miles on a new-to-you Humvee. Yes, if it works, it´s a great road trip and a story you can tell your grandchildren later. But demilled Humvees from Govplanet have probably been sitting for years, and many of the moving parts are probably 30+ years old. By experience, things happen on the first hundred miles. Gaskets start to leak, steering bearings get loose, fuel pumps die, etc, etc..
New tires are just one (important) spare part to think of for such a road trip. If you want to be prepared for even the most likely problems, you will need to carry a few thousand Euros in spare parts.
I bought two of my Humvees at Globeworks in the Black Forest, and had them transported to me for a very reasonable fee; something like 50 cents per kilometer. You can hardly pay the one-way train ticket, plus hotel, etc. for that amount.

If you want to go on that road trip, you probably know those two Youtube videos from Westen Champlin ;) :

If you do take that road trip, give the german Humvee guys a shout beforehand, so we can stand by to assist if neccessary. You´ll probably pass pretty close to my home.

Last edited:

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frauhansen, I am concerned.

Exporting a vehicle to Europe is a process. HMMWV’s are considered weapons. Export is highly regulated. You need to go through a qualified exporter.

If I recall correctly, you can’t just buy one and have it sent to Switzerland. All this money you’re spending before you get the rig is potentially wasted.

What steps have you gone through to confirm that you will be able to legally ship your vehicle to Switzerland and be able to take possession of the vehicle once it arrives?

Just winning an auction does not ensure you will get to keep the vehicle once they find out that it is destined for export to a foreign nation. You can lose the vehicle AND all your money.

Just an FYI.
I appreciate the advice very much. No... I am not that naive. I bought the car via an agent in CA. With existing export license and reputation here in Europe. I am not too worried.

I would agree the stock wrangler MTRs will work. They are not the best in rain and snow on the highway but are a good all around tire on the stock wheels. The lack of sipping cuts just makes them slippery in rain so be careful.

has the truck been serviced by anyone before shipping. Making it 1000 miles out the gate from govplanet sounds challenging. I’d bring a complete set of all the fluids including gear oil for the hubs and diffs, a very complete tool set, spare hoses, belts, hose clamps. A breaker bar for tire changes, a 24v jumper if available, fuel filter, a high lifting Jack. Lots of duct tape. The list goes!

This will also be a great adventure so take some pictures and videos to share. The last guy who tried doing 1000 miles out of the gate at govplanet got 1.8 million views on YouTube!
As for the 1000mi home. Yes, of course. That will be a lottery.
I have here hopefully another condition than the type you address. I am a mechanic, not a self-promoter.
But I wouldn't do it directly from GOV Planet.
The vehicles that my agent gets are according to his millitary depot vehicles. According to his explanation, they were all classic 998's. At some point, they were removed from regular service and put into storage. But storage does not employ anyone. Therefore they renovated the vehicles. From my 998 with 6.2 and 3-speed then became a 6.5 with 4-speed and reinforced springs.
That is from experience approx. 10 years ago. Since then less miles run but certainly with just as old tires on the road.
I will see exactly how the maintenance condition is before shipping. And yes, I will take an infinite amount of material with me.

As for the age of the tires. Here I am possibly slightly different opinion what the age concerns. A tire ages, and very noticeably.
This may be less noticeable in an off-road tire than in a sporty road tire, but it nevertheless remains a fact.

Therefore, I am pleased that some of you so agree with the original tires. So I give those who are on it a real chance. And will only order five NEW tires for the extra set of rims, which is already on the way anyway.

There’s good news for Soldiers driving HMMWVs, or High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicles, on icy and snowy roads. It’s called the BF Goodrich KO2 tire with a three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) rating, a symbol branded on a tire's sidewall indicating the product meets required performance criteria to be considered severe-snow service-rated.
That sounds awesome. I love the KO2...I have those on both my gen2 RAM and gen1 Durango. Looking forward to when they are available for purchase then. I think they are great all around tires.
Btw... with the Durango I went on a road trip across Eastern Europe more or less immediately after buying it from a windy roadside dealer. Just a quick oil change and off we went. With the expected consequences. We have had some to screw but I was prepared accordingly. The car was FULL with material!

0CD47B4E-9BCB-4BC1-99EA-2D4AC93CFFA2.jpeg CC797680-D8E4-40E9-A445-6EB122F698FF.jpeg
third stop for brakes. somewhere in romania and albania and .... forgott.
B7AE44AC-0DEA-4807-BEF2-DA37C7D8B37F.jpeg7EB937C3-4680-4122-93D4-C3C24DE26499.jpeg
my copilot is deepdiving during i'm driving for something in the back of the car.

To add my two cents:
I´d seriously think about traveling 1,000 miles on a new-to-you Humvee. Yes, if it works, it´s a great road trip and a story you can tell your grandchildren later. But demilled Humvees from Govplanet have probably been sitting for years, and many of the moving parts are probably 30+ years old. By experience, things happen on the first hundred miles. Gaskets start to leak, steering bearings get loose, fuel pumps die, etc, etc..
New tires are just one (important) spare part to think of for such a road trip. If you want to be prepared for even the most likely problems, you will need to carry a few thousand Euros in spare parts.
I bought two of my Humvees at Globeworks in the Black Forest, and had them transported to me for a very reasonable fee; something like 50 cents per kilometer. You can hardly pay the one-way train ticket, plus hotel, etc. for that amount.

If you want to go on that road trip, you probably know those two Youtube videos from Westen Champlin ;) :

If you do take that road trip, give the german Humvee guys a shout beforehand, so we can stand by to assist if neccessary. You´ll probably pass pretty close to my home.

Arnd, I understand you. But here it is a matter of principle! And about the road trip!
The Bricklin at that time also in Belgium bought. Directly put in, although there was snow, and directly home.
The Firebird on LongIsland, directly in and off into the adventure.
a bit long... but including my first meters at dragracing. (with missing bolt in the right upper control arm and completely worn out idle arm)
Here the tour then from Bremerhafen home. And no, this is not me, I am always the one filming.

You very so... I'm batty. With very little chance of recovery.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Happy you used an exporter…. Wish you had lead with that information in your first post.

Now I can truly wish you a hearty “Welcome”!

Work with your shipper to purchase a 20-30 foot marine grade shipping container and then work to fill it up. I would suggest you purchase all you can and then personally watch as they fill the container and tie things down to protect from movement during rough seas. Heavy items MUST be securely tied down, including the HMMWV.

Best,

T

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Happy you used an exporter…. Wish you had lead with that information in your first post.

Now I can truly wish you a hearty “Welcome”!

Work with your shipper to purchase a 20-30 foot marine grade shipping container and then work to fill it up. I would suggest you purchase all you can and then personally watch as they fill the container and tie things down to protect from movement during rough seas. Heavy items MUST be securely tied down, including the HMMWV.

Best,

T
Ahh, okay. For me it was kind of clear.
Even when I was personally in the US, I had the transport of the Firebird arranged via an agent.This turned out to be a huge drama because the car was from the state of NY. MY 1969, but NY state has only had Title since 1973. And the turn of the year since 2020 no more export without Title may take place. So the car was stuck. So I was 5x glad to have an agent who turned it around via some trick with the DMV in Vermont.

The Container.. The transport is completely taken care of by the agent. He has experience with whom and how he handles everything. Everything I buy must fit in the car.

I am glad you aren't interested in self promotion, but please do take some pictures of the adventure to share with us!
You can be sure... i will!

AAVP7

:ROFLMAO: Yes, I see the Humvee is definitely in good hands. No worries anymore from me. (y)

About tires: The Wrangler MT in its "Military OZ" variety isn´t officially exported, so all Military MTs in Europe are probably surplus.
However, I recently saw an ad from a tire dealer in Germany who offered new Wrangler MTs without the "Military OZ", kind of a civilian version it seems.
To me, the only obvious difference seems to be the missing ozone protection which the military wants for longer storage time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks