• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

which truck series is the best/most reliable

Alright , I suppose that is justified, but asofar as the MF engines are concerned , I have no experience.That is why I posted here.As far as I Know the commercial/civvy never used the Mf engines.
At the end of the day however, they are still a diesel engine and and except for a few mods and higher combustion rates basically the same.
I think I have reached the point of frustration and am sorry I even posted,.
I recieved very few answers and alot of ridicule and insults.
Thanks

91W350

They are military trucks, heavy and slow. They were designed to reliably pull a heavy load off road, they travel with other heavy slow vehicles in convoys. They were never intended to run highway speeds. They were intended to be a war machine, get the troops and their supplies to the front. They are primitive, loud, slow, and treated properly, dead on reliable.

They have neither the brakes or the gear to run civilian road speeds, they were not designed to do so and to try to convert one to a road warrior is a lot like sweeping water uphill. It just was not meant to be.

Many of these guys have been down this road many times, from guys wanting 6x6 70 mph campers to 6x6 70 mph tugs for their off road toys. Have you ever been in a running deuce? I drive mine daily, you have to recognize it for what it is.

The fuel mileage on my A2 just floors me, I never dreamed it would get ten, much less surpass that. I drive 45 to 48 mph though. Buy one, accept it for what it is and enjoy it. They are not for everybody.

I put about 100 miles on mine yesterday. I went to the lake to reserve a campsite for a buddy coming in from out of state. I took a friend with me that I do not get to see very often. It was one of the few times I wished I had something a lot quieter. It is hard to hold much of a conversation with ear plugs and ear muffs on.

We made the reservation and drove through the campgrounds. It was a good time there. The kids were egging me on for a toot of the horn and many Veterans would salute the beast as it rolled by. One camp site had a National Guard recruiter canopy that they were under. The guys were standing out there pointing at the The National Guard banners streaming on the edges of the canopy. We had a lot of thumbs up from that crowd.

Coming home we headed through the Smoky Hills, chugging along at 30 mph, taking the worst looking roads we could find as we headed back east and south. The deuce just rolled along and over, taking it all in stride. It was hot out and Mother Nature blessed us with a few heavy clouds and some rain to cool things down and knock down the dust.

I love the deuce and my CUCVs for that kind of use, if there are tire tracks indicating somebody else made it through, you can enter with confidence that you will drive out the other side. We spent about five hours going the 100 miles and got to see a lot of deer, turkey, a few coyotes, several golden and bald eagles, numerous hawks and falcons. We toured some beautiful back country. Lots of ranchers and farmers waved, I suppose it is kind of unusual to see one rolling along the back roads of America.

I have driven it long distances and it will do a good job of it, you just average about 45 mph on the road instead of 65, when you figure in fuel and rest stops. When I made the trip home from South Dakota with it, we ran 40-42 mph pulling my pickup and made around 11 mpg. My pickup was loaded heavy with fluids, tools, batteries, spare tires, spare parts... I suppose it weighed over 8,000 on its own.

If I wanted a military truck for highway use, I would have to look at the 915, 916 or 920 trucks. They have killer looks and the heavy duty styling. They are also much more capable of running close to road speeds.

It seems like somebody comes along and jumps into the forums about once every six weeks with an idea of using an old war machine for a high speed application. Each one wants to make their own argument for how it will work. It can be done, but it can be done a whole lot easier and safer with a civilian chassis. These guys have been through it many times. Glen

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto: It does get a little weary reading these threads where someone wants to make a pig fly.

Thanks for the great post about taking the back road home.

Rick

Wow, Glen , thank you maybe you"re right and I wasn't reading the answrs properly.
I still want a bobbed crewcab deuce , but maybe for hauling purposes a 900 series tractor would be better.
I think I was so convinced it would work that I wasn't reading that it won't.
Thanks for showing me the light, without ridicule or insult,

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
what GLEN is saying is what FIVE pages of this thread was trying to tell you, not to piss you off, ridicule and insult you.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
not to be rude or nasty, but not one single person has actually answered my question(with the exception of oldfart as to gear ratios..again thanks) yesterday i posted a question on gear ratios,and possible changes and it broke down into a fight over engines, this time i asked about engines and got into all sorts of other things, I am missing the secret code of questioning to get the answer i seek.....focus gentleman. i will however send appreciation for the interstate trucking regs , kinda forgot about that, but again
back to the question at hand
I am trying to think of a nice way to say this............

Um...............

Ok, here it is.

We've already focused. We've focused on the question of using surplus military vehicles as some sort of highway haulers so many times that people do not want to bother typing up answers anymore.

Go read this: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/60997-m813-over-road-reliability-5.html#post717326

We've discussed engines, transmissions, transmission swaps, transfer upgrades, gear swaps, you name it.

Want a piece of advice? Sit down for 2 weeks and just read the forum. You will find that ALL your answers are out there. You just have to find them. You may not be able to find them through the search feature.

Think of Steel Soldiers as 12th grade algebra. Before you show up, you are expected to have taken 11th grade algebra. You can't show up in 12th grade algebra and ask "what is 4 plus 4?" Since there are no teachers, you have to go out and take the knowledge for yourself. It is out there.

So enjoy the fruits of the labor that so many have put forth before we got here. Read about their projects, their experiences and their knowledge.

Alright, nuff said, I concede.I am currently reading other threads/ posts on the subject.
I get it, either can't or shouldn't be done for a number of reasons.
I still think it would have been a super cool truck, but realize now that I won't be building for this purpose.
I also understand the frustration of answering the same questions over and over, the post I am reading now has references to previous posts that suggest prior posts excetera.
My bad,
anyway i did purchase an A3 and will post recovery and bobbing pics soon.

rchalmers3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scoutsniper you seem to be a good troop. You take our gentle abuse better than most. I expect your study on this board will be quick and enjoyable.

The Central American representative of SS wishes you a warm Welcome!

Rick

Thanks, it was pretty touch and go for awhile . I was pretty steamed.I am nothing if not level headed , so resisted the urge to snap.
As I stated earlioer , we already purchased an A3 for bobbing and resale, but I do think for my own personal truck I would be a little happier with an a2.
I did see where you can regear the trans , that may be cheaper /easier than grafting the roadranger in, but i still like the feel of going thru 10 gears, , easy upshift and downshift without the clutch... more research is needed before i make my final decision though and I am reading as many previous posts as i can find relavant or just interesting..

mThanks for the welcome

91W350

Wow, Glen , thank you maybe you"re right and I wasn't reading the answrs properly.
I still want a bobbed crewcab deuce , but maybe for hauling purposes a 900 series tractor would be better.
I think I was so convinced it would work that I wasn't reading that it won't.
Thanks for showing me the light, without ridicule or insult,
A crew cab bobbed deuce would be super cool. I often thought about sitting a M105 trailer as far back on the deuce chassis as possible, not really a bobber, but a 4x4 truck. I would like to fill the gap with a sleeper as large as I could fit in there. I want one of the older Peterbilt style low sleepers that would not be any taller than the cab.

I would like to open up the back of the cab and incorporate the sleeper into the cab's construction. My fabrication buddy has broken his hip joint, so I probably will never take it on. It would be nice to have more space in the cab for a little deeper seat, one my dogs can sit on without sitting sideways.

I actually did find a sleeper on an old wrecked Pete that was in good condition and by rough measurement, it would be very close to filling the chassis. Another thought along the same lines was to install the sleeper, then shorten the deuce bed along with the 4x4 conversion.

It would not be as capable off road, but it would be easier to drive and less mechanically bound. I think there would also be a fuel savings with the loss of weight and differential drag.

Oh well, I will probably have to be happy with a 6x6 and regular cab.... If you do one, be sure to share! Glen

mudguppy

so now that i understand what you are after better. so here's what i would do:

option 1 - use a 915 as suggested for hauling purposes.

option 2 - go all out; customize an A3:
  • Crew cab
  • insulate & AC
  • HF power steering box upgrade
  • keep the 3116 & turn up the fuel, or
  • swap in a DT466 or 6CTA (A3 front clip will help make this happen)
  • RTOO trans, or FSO 8spd more likely
  • loose the intermediate axle
  • hang the rear axle on an adapted commercial airbag suspension
  • swap in 4.90 gears front/rear
  • Differential Engineering disc brake kits front/rear
  • custom flatbed w/ integrated gooseneck hitch (bob some frame depending on final wb)
  • 46" Goodyears MVTs

rchalmers3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Travis, where would the 5th wheel height be after the modifications? Kenny already mentioned that it may end up too high, requiring trailer mods as well.

Rick

BadMastard

IHscoutsniper,

Way to hang in there. I read your thread and yep, there might be a little rough handling. The good news is as curmudgeonly as our fellow steel soldiers may be, they are to a man good people. They are the Gunny that chews your *ss off to make sure you improve, and stand proudly by when you do. Or they might just be waiting to do it again, I could never tell with my drill instructors. Maybe a little of both.

You did ask for opinions- I LOVE driving my m109a3 because as the seller told me, I could fart in the tank and probably get a couple of miles out of it. That's the joy of multifuel, it runs on nearly anything, and I love finding "alternative fuel" sources from waste motor oil to french fry oil. The down side? It's never ever ever going to be fuel efficient or as powerful as a modern civilian vehicle of the same "class". It's also probably not going to cost as much, unless you try to make it a modern civilian vehicle of the same class.

I did just buy an A3 for much the same reasons as you did. It's going to be a rolling advertisement to a select bunch of mostly disturbed future MV owners. I say mostly disturbed, because as near as I can tell, that's what we all are.

I too thought about using a military vehicle (wrecker) for commercial purpose, and was properly counseled out of it. It was a fun idea, and worth investigating. Same for your hauling. I like the 915 based on what I read, and what I know. Would it be reliable? Hey, you're buying a used car. Good luck.

If you are willing to accept all the constraints of the class of vehicle you are buying maybe a military tractor is in your future. Check out the m819 and the m246 as well, not because they will be any more reliable, but the cool factor goes up. I mean come on, it has a CRANE! And then I can be properly jealous, yet again.

Welcome to the site/insanity.

BM

For the purpose of a bed, I had planned on bolting the sheet metal from m200a1 trailer on and bolting 5th wheel directly to frame. This way I would not gain extra heighth from an actual bed. Mud guppy, that is actually pretty close to the original plan, except for the airbags and disc brakes.

dittle

so now that i understand what you are after better. so here's what i would do:

option 1 - use a 915 as suggested for hauling purposes.

option 2 - go all out; customize an A3:
  • Crew cab
  • insulate & AC
  • HF power steering box upgrade
  • keep the 3116 & turn up the fuel, or
  • swap in a DT466 or 6CTA (A3 front clip will help make this happen)
  • RTOO trans, or FSO 8spd more likely
  • loose the intermediate axle
  • hang the rear axle on an adapted commercial airbag suspension
  • swap in 4.90 gears front/rear
  • Differential Engineering disc brake kits front/rear
  • custom flatbed w/ integrated gooseneck hitch (bob some frame depending on final wb)
  • 46" Goodyears MVTs

You forgot "waterproof" the cab as you'll get mold/rust/etc like crazy if you do not with the added insulation.

Aren't these two trucks just 5 tons with a crane and 5th wheel? So it seems I am back to square one. I don't mind spending some money, A used CXT is about 60,000 . I could build a whole lot of truck for that. I already have access to a bunch of the parts to convert it over, such as air conditioning system, power windows smaller stuff i guess.
I think I like mudguppys ideas but will NOT use it for anything more than say 200 mi radius after that just not sensible.