• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

While the radiator is off...

JCKnife

The locking bolts on the compressor pulley ARE on alternate sides!
Yep, that much was plain when I put it back together. But I swear when I took it apart, they had been installed from the same side. I wish I had a picture to back that up.

Anyway, Autozone tested the batteries and one was bad. Got 2 new ones at Wal Mart (hey, I buy plenty at Autozone but not batteries). Will have to fab some spacers in the batt. box and put it all together later.

JCKnife

Well, after all that drama, turns out I have a bad sending unit and / or temp gauge. I put everything back together and she started right up. Idled in the driveway for maybe 10 minutes and got up to 180 on the gauge. But as soon as I gave it gas to leave it started jumping. 1/4 mile down the road it was over 200 and jumping back and forth a little. If I flip the accessory switch off and back on again, it goes to 180 and starts climbing from there again, right away.

Overall drove maybe 3/4 mile and parked back in the driveway. Left her running and opened the hood, got out my IR thermometer (laser pointer thingy). Highest temp I could find on the radiator was near 150 at the top. The T-stat housing was 172. The water manifold was 170. I think the highest temp I found was the engine block right around 180.

But hey, I got new belts and hoses, and the radiator flushed...and new batteries. And I learned some things.

Overall the toughest thing was getting that little seal out of the T-stat housing. I still don't know a good way to do that without breaking one. That would be a good trick to learn if someone knows, for future reference.

Thanks for reading. I'll post more when I decide to change the sending unit (in a new thread, maybe...)

Heavysteven

changing the sending unit is a cake walk. i had a friend hold the heater hoses out of the way, unplug the old one/screw it out, screw the new one in, and plug it back into the harness. If your quick you might not lose that much coolant.

Any thoughts on installing a heater plug?

Heavysteven

A heater plug? I'm not even sure what that is...you don't mean like a block heater do you?
Yeap, a block heater plug. I bought one after reading a thread, but since i dont have a problem starting in the cold i never put it in.

The photo below shows the location of the temp sending unit. FOr those who are interested.

Attachments

JCKnife

Nah, mine always started pretty well in the cold also. If I did have any issues, they were battery-related, and those should be solved now...

Thanks, though.

Heavysteven

Hey, I got my radiator back from the shop and purchased the lower radiator hose from OD Iron. Going to change it out this Friday.

I am posting because i need some help with parts. Do you happen to remeber the size/diameter of the upper radiator hose, hoses from the pumps, and the two hoses going to the personal heater?

Thanks,
Steven

runk

That is the hose I used, I replaced all of mine, including all the little short hoses (been on for about 6 months now) -
5296k411, 1-3/4"ID, 2-18"OD - qty 1'
5296k421, 2"ID, 2-3/8"OD - qty 1'
5296k321, 5/8"ID, 1"OD - qty 12' (heater hoses)
and, because they did not have the size-
5285k139, 1-5/8"ID, 2"OD - qty 1'

clamps-
5574k15, 5574k19, 5574k18

wsucougarx

I just got a 3' stick of 2" NAPA radiator hose and a 50' spool of 5/8" Goodyear heater hose to do my 3 trucks. I'll cut the hoses to length. I did, however, went with NOS 2002 USGI lower radiator hose as the "Newer" New Star stuff is plagued with complaints on rubber qualitiy. With the location and having to pull the radiator to get in there, I am not going to skim on quality for the lower hose, IMHO.

Cost:
3' stick 2" radiator hose NAPA-$44
50' roll of 5/8" Goodyear hose-$14
USGI NOS lower radiator hose-$25
WIX 24019 Coolant Filter housing-$28 shipped
Baldwin Coolant Filter-$11

Attachments

Last edited:

Truckie

Great Thread _ Just pulled my Radiator because of a pinhole leak and will be replacing all of the hoses, thermostat and belts Thanks for the info[thumbzup]

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks