• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

whine in 5th gear

wcolt45

Wandering if this is somewhat normal,in 5th gear(3053a) tranny,like on the interstate 2000 rpm and above its making a howling sound only on the level ,under load like up a grade it doesnt do it,clutch seems to be adjusted correctly engages at the right point and does not slip,checked the throwout bearing while running and doesnt spin ,any ideas??

Westech

CPL
Hard to say over a post on the net... if it is working well.... its working. Make sure the fluid is full (one inch below the fill hole) and clean and let her fly.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get nervous when I hear someone with noices comeing from their transmission. My M35A2 started making a whining/rattling noise after about ~1,000 miles after recovery. Shortly thereafter, I shelled teeth on 5th gear and had to swap out the transmission for a take-out. My new transmission is completely silent. Actually, I should say that any transmission noise is hidden by all the other Deuce noises! As others have said, I would replace the transmission oil with new GL-1 making certain not to overfill it.

RAYZER

My trans was making the same sound,i changed the fluid using the proper gl1,it seemed to quiet it down some,but now its 4000 miles later and still going.:grd:

RANDYDIRT

Sounds like a case of excessive backlash in the box. It may last forever, or it may go out the next time you fire it up. Mine makes so much noise that it all runs together and I can't tell what's making the racket. I just wear earplugs and go blissfully on my way like I didn't know any better.

Dirt

deathrowdave

Try engauging the transfer case front axle drive . Mine makes alot of noise until I engauge the transfer case then very QUIET . Removed the front drive section of the transfer case everything was new and clearences were great !!! Put it back together same noise . The old saying goes "if it ain't broke U can not fix it "!!! 2cents

wcolt45

What Lucas additive are you all using in the tranny and t case? i was wandering if since the 3053a is an overdrive tranny it could be the way the gears mesh together,besides i cant narrow the location of the noise down to the tranny ,planning on replacing the hi-lo shaft seal again on t case as it wont stop leaking and will take it for a spin with the humps removed ,maybe i can tell better where its at

Last edited:

wcolt45

Took a spin with cover off trans &transfer case,screech is a better term for the noise ,loud screech,let off gas a little or push it a little harder it quiets down ,is it possable it is the clutch? looking to that next

armadillofz1

Mine howles like this. Bought another tranny same thing. I haven't had time but it's probably coming from the front axle/ diff.
Someone said xfer case but on mine it sounds like it's coming from the front.

paulfarber

The whine is a result of the gears meshing. Certain types of gears simply make more noise. Spur gears are typically the noisiest. Helical are quiet. Some say the changing the lube viscosity or to a synthetic oil can help.

My M35 whines pretty good in 5th above 50mph. My 42GPW whines all the time (transfer case noise mostly).

You could also look to see that you have good, solid mounts as high frequency vibrations can also cause noise from rotating components.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
how loud the whine is, can be a relative thing. hard to quantify, but with 30 wt mine is quiet, as they all should be. so using a heavy oil is just covering up a problem.
a loud whine is just an indication that something is worn and the clearances are wrong. 4th will tend to be quiet since it does not go thru any gears and then when you go to 5th it will sound louder. the best comparason would be 3rd and 5th. they should be about the same noise level.

tom

Vfflang

Hard to explain with a keyboard,2000rpm,d turbo ,on highway you can hear it over engine noise,quiet in 4th,also in 3rd,seems to only be heard 2000rpm and up in 5th
I have the same problem my 5th is in the upper right. Had a buddy drive and he figure it just to be gear noise I think its a little too loud. all gear are good but 5th can raddle you out of the cab with the whine, push clutch in and it goes away..going to check fluids tomorrow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks