• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

whine in 5th gear

Jimma

Wcolt45 my 68 Kaiser Jeep is doing the exact thing and noise you describe exactly. If you figure it out let me know.

paulfarber

Paul, what viscosity have you heard may improve this??
Some say go thicker, some say go thinner, some go with mystery goo. I just noted that it was one of the 'cures' I had heard for noisy gears.

My jeeps transfer case wined quite a bit, but after replacing some very worn parts (IM shaft/bearings, a shift fork and two output shaft bearings) its down to what I would call simply 'running noise'.

As others have noted.. to person A it might sound like all hells breaking lose, to person B its nothing more than normal.

dragonwagon

Its not a complicated trans . Sounds like a bearing issue . Quite under load , louder at a level pace . Any shops around you that work on manual trans ? They could probable take a short ride and have a good idea from the sound it is making . Lot cheaper to replace a bearing now then a trans later .