• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

whistler doesnt whistle anymore

rattlecan6104

On my way to work this morning I was on an uphill pull, nearing the top I shifted from 4th to 5th and within a few seconds heard a screetching bang that lasted all of about a split second, then no more turbo whistle... only turbo clinking, banging, and grinding. aua

I pulled over, and shut her down and began my quick inspection. I found that the blades on the intake side are intact, but started to rub against the walls of the housing. There is now a little play in it It spins really free which is leading me to the conclusion that I have sheared the shaft. Considering this rig has been my daily driver since my other truck is going through some major work, this really sucks... FML! Off to find another whistler.

scranch18121

Sorry to hear your deuce is down. I had that happen to me about a year ago. Good luck with the fix.You need to change your signature to ......

"1965 m35a2 w/w hard top NON whistler turbo"

rattlecan6104

may have found a suitable replacement, got a loaner vehicle from a friend, so now I'm gonna pull the turbo tonight and see what I can. I have wondered in the past what it would be like to blowout a turbo... now I know, its not fun.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Inspect the compressor and compressor side housing to see if any blade tips broke off. Sometimes they will break a intake valve when the go flying down the intake stream if they are big enough.

You have my condolences on the loss of that pricey little noise maker! Since the house in which I was raised was 7 houses down the street from a National Guard Armory, I learned from a verry young age that those guys there did what they did to protect us and our freedom. So every month when the guardsmen loaded up and headed out to the desert to train, I'd hear those deuces roll down my street one after another and there was no mistaking the sound of those whistlers as they went by. From childhood, I found the sound of those trucks comforting and knew that no matter what popped off, I would be safe and protected. Now the sound of a 465 LDT with a whistler is one of my favorite sounds in the world. I hope yours is rebuildable! Those things are bloody expensive if you have to completely replace them! :driver:

rattlecan6104

looks like I may have lucked out, found a used take out whistler for about $250. I am definately hoping mine is rebuildable, that way after I switch them out, I can rebuild it and save it for a rainy day, or potentially help out another SS member that ends up on the particular creek I am in right now.

rattlecan6104

Why did you up shift going up hill putting more pressure on things??????DAS
I was hitting the crest of the hill and RPM's were climbing as the road leveled out, so I upshifted getting back up to speed, a few seconds later the turbo blew. It basically blew at the top of the hill, I limped it home after that, stayed between 1500 and 2000 RPM where it was running the smoothest with the least amount of noise.

rattlecan6104

Looks like I found the root cause of the problem...

A while back I had turned up the fuel to a point to where I thought I was safe, apparently I wasnt. Upon pulling the turbo I found rather than seeing black carbon, I saw white. I talked to a diesel mechanic and found out that is a tell tale sign of very high EGT's. Also pulled the exhaust manifold and found that it was warped, some spots by as much as 1/16th of an inch.

So at this point I have my replacement C turbo in hand (thanks steve1031) I have replacement gaskets as well as an EGT and Boost gauge on the way, and the exhaust manifold is getting worked at a machine shop.

scranch18121

If one buys a deuce they should know it is not going to get you where you want to go very fast. I would think if it was a good thing to "turn up the fuel" they would come from the factory that way. There are post after post of "be careful"... "don't over do it"... "dont turn it up too far". This is a great example for me to show my Alter Ego and tell him to "Leave the thing alone"! I sure hope he listens to me.

rattlecan6104

pyro is on its way in... as far as the "I told you so's" I know... I know, had to learn the hard way. The funny thing is that it has been turned up for a couple years now, and in that time frame I have hit long 7% grades loaded down and no issues... at that time.

rattlecan6104

yup, In the middle of tearing it down and as of right now All I can say is it is essentially unsavable. I will post pictures later as a reminder to those that want to walk my path thinking its a good idea, I think pictures speak louder than words!

I honestly thought I was good and well below the limit, just goes to show what happens when you cant monitor whats going on effectively!

rattlecan6104

alright, so here are a few pictures from my turbo fail, basically you can see the exhaust side is covered in white, caused by too much heat, the exhaust impellor is trashed, mangled, and missing pieces. The intake side, aside from engine oil everywhere is intact and undamaged. The bearings were loose enough to wiggle back and forth pretty easily as well. also got the exhaust manifold back and put a couple coats of VHT on it for protection, the paint is still wet when the picture was taken, so thats why it looks shiny.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks