• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whistlin' Dixie is Home....Recovery Report

Farmun

Have decided to call our Deuce "Whistlin' Dixie" because of the whistling turbo. (If it's not a whistler, then I would hate to listen to one that is for 150+ miles.)

Got to Redstone, checked in at Gate 3, and was given directions to the GL Office. We decided that the guards there had too much time on their hands, because they told us the wrong road to take. Oh well, we didn't end up on the artillery range, so all's good.

Finally got to the Deuce, and the guy showing us the truck jumped in it, hit the accessory switch, buzzing heard loudly. Yippeee !!! The truck didn't start this first time, but fired right up on try number 2. We gave it a quick run-down, I drove it around the lot a little, checking brakes, steering, lights, and any loud noises - all was good so we headed to Wally-World for a closer inspection.

Checked tire pressures up front, oil level, tranny/t-case fluids, coolant and removed the cargo cover. Slurped down a gatorade, and me my son donned the earmuffs and hit the road about noon. Now's where things get interesting. I had a GPS hooked to the laptop in the chase truck, but my chasers didn't like it, and eventually turned it off, after a few choice words and threats to send it out the window. Anyway, we finally, and I mean finally get out of Huntsville onto Hwy 53. (What's up with the road signage in Alabama anyway?)

Easy cruising to Ardmore, stopped for a sandwich. Back on the road to Pulaski, and my son starts dozing off. I poke him a little and ask, well more like motioning to him with our version of sign language, if he wants to ride in the chase truck. He keeps giving me the thumbs up, and grinning real big, so we keep rolling along. Bust through Columbia, and on to Dickson for ice cream at the Dairy Queen. Take the scenic route to Ashland City, and home we arrive at around 18:00 hours.

Here's a few pictures, I'll get more posted later, once I actually get time at home during the daylight. Thanks to all, who offered assistance (glad none was needed), and thanks to the admin and developers of this website. You guys are great. !!!!!

Attachments

dittle

Nice looking truck, glad it drove home without issue. Looking at your tach vs. speedo do you have 11.00 x 20's on the truck or does it have the wrong adapter for the speedo? Hitting 56 mph on a 9.00 x 20 is right around 2600 rpm usually.

dk8019

Nice looking truck, looks like 9.00s to me in the pictures, so I'm guessing the wrong adapter as well! Glad the recovery went well.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great looking truck, I'm glad you had a good recovery. Everybody looks happy in the pictures.

wsucougarx

Congratulations on a safe and uneventful recovery. Definately makes for a good day when Mr. Murphy doesn't show up. With that smile on your son's face, I expect to see another deuce recovery story in here....for him:wink:

Farmun

My boy has been sooooo excited about this truck! He's happier than a "tornado in a trailer park" a quote my boy uses quite often from TowMater in Disney's "Cars". He's already asked me when he can drive it. Think I'll let him drive around the fields behind the house this Saturday morning (30+ acres of open land). Of course he will be sitting with me, and I'll have full control of the beast, (he just won't know it :wink:)

Quite possible to add to the fleet in the future. But we have to get mom on board first. She's a very practical lady, and practical and Deuce just don't seem to go together for her at least.

Many thanks are extended to Mr. Murphy for taking the day off. Without his assistance we truly were blessed with an uneventful recovery. Our chase truck crew was also very thankful that the truck load of tools, and supplies were not used nor needed.

:-D

Thanks fpr sharing that, nice pictures! Reminds of last year, when I went to a field trip to France with the deuce and our oldest (then 16). I assigned him the task of starting the truck, under my supervision of course. He even drove it on private property. Imagine, it was his very first vehicle to drive - a deuce! Quite a sight!
It'S always a nice thing if you can share your hobby around your close ones (or spread the OD disease...).

Cheers,
Mark

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to see the boy involved in the hobby. My kids are with me most of the time on deuce trips. I've driven many a deuce with carseats in them for the younguns

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry4x4 said:
Glad to see the boy involved in the hobby. My kids are with me most of the time on deuce trips. I've driven many a deuce with carseats in them for the younguns
I tried to talk to wife into going for a ride with me but she said we couldn't put the car seat for the baby in the truck...I told her it has a seat belt, I can strap it in!!!

Farmun

My wife won't even look at it, and changes the subject when my son and I start talking about it around her. My daughter (15) thinks I'm crazy, but she had some friends over after we got home (boys :-x) and they though it was cool. I guess you either love them, or you hate them. Not much in between.

I was a little concerned about the seatbelt issue, only a lap belt, but the more I thought about it, I realized that there's not much need for a shoulder belt, because whatever you hit, will most likely move. Not like you're going to come to a sudden stop, in most cases anyway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks