• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

White 465 Motors At Work On The Farm

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Included are photos of a White farm tractor that has the same basic engine in it as the deuce and 5 ton motors. In fact, ordnance numbers will be found on many parts in the engine when torn down. This is the kind of work these engines are doing for long hours each day at high load levels all day long with no significant problems in models of the White tractors. There is a larger model White tractor than this that uses the same engine with the power turned up more. This particular tractor has over 5,000 hours time on the same engine.
This kind of service, along with the service we get out of our turned up motors in our trucks on the farm is why I always take exception to statements that these are "come apart" motors and the flat statement "turn it up and blow it up".
I believe most failed engines are the result of poor building practice or drivers that did not care how they treated the truck before the hapless last owner bought it and had trouble with it. Failures of turned up engines can also be the fault of a driver that does not have proper gauges to monitor engine exhaust temperatures and boost levels. These engines are build a whole lot heavier inside that are Deere motors of comparable displacement. We have a lot of faith in them! In the one photo you can see the thick deck (TD) designation.

Regards Marti

Attachments

DAS

MF ENGINES ARE PERKINS DIESELS.....3-4cylinders.....the 6 bangers I dont know......you are correct on the beat the he-- out of them and any of them will blow......my 2 cents DAS

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Farm tractors are diesel only and about a 17/1 vs 22/1 compression ratio on the MF version. They are also governed to a max of 2200 RPM (no load), which is another key to long life.

mikew

So, I see spin-on oil filters....

Did the tractor come that way or is it an adapter?

If it's an adaptor, where did it come from?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I understand, spin ons were standard, and the IP is different. Probably a lot of other differences also, but they would still fit in a deuce.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These motors were also used in a model of the Oliver tractors, which was a division of White. I do not know of any other brands they were used in.
The early Olivers had the military filter base with adapters on them for spin-on. I found a set at a parts yard for $10. I tried to order more from parts, but they are discontinued. The type of base pictured on the tractor is the most common. It is a special casting that fits our truck engines that has the spin-on adapters cast into it. I have bought three at yards for $60 each and put them on our motors. With that said, browse tractor yards and find a base for much less than the $200 for a couple of aluminum adapters and CNC nuts in the conversion kit. I am thinking of looking into getting adapter sets made in China machine shops I have connections with through my company for probably much less than the $200 the current ones are sold for. I already have the drawings made, just have to get the time to pursue it.
Regards Marti

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The maximum governed high idle,. or no load speed, is 2370 to 2420 RPM in the tractors according to the Implement and Tractor repair manual. The 2200 number is the rated RPM the governor should hold it at under full rated load.
My point in these posts is that a knowledgeable driver with a turned up motor with proper instrumentation can enjoy the power and need not think they have to throw a bin in the back to put the failed parts in! :)

Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks