• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

White Hercules multifuel ...need advice

Doug Roberts

If you want it to shift better, drain it and fill it back up with 30wt non detergent oil. That is what Spicer spec-ed for these transmissions, uncle put G.O. in to simplify things.
Thanks gimpyrobb ... straight 30 , alright , someone said 15w40 non detergent , someone else was saying 80w90 gear oil and I think I heard adverse comments about that . G.O. = 80w90?

stampy

I agree with the starting off in 2nd gear thing unless you are pulling a load. The shift is quick from first to second and my trucks pull off easy in second. Your truck looks clean to me I'd do what the others said, maybe wash the engine with some block cleaner and start and run the motor to look for leaks. It never hurts to tighten connections to their spec tollerances per the TM. Otherwise drive and enjoy.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The problem with starting in second is thats the gear with the weakest bearing. If memory serves me right, M35tom's od kit replaces that bearing because it is so weak.

I am not 100% sure on this, but it might not hurt to look into it more.

Woodsplinter

Also, there's a crankcase vent manifold and hose that sits atop of the valve covers, sometimes there can be oil seepage from there which will end up on the sides of your engine.
And don't worry, the wanting everything clean and perfect will ware off after a while!
Mine was seeping through the gasket. Took it off, cleaned everything up, cut my own gasket for a sheet of gasket material and put it back together. Very easy to do and no more seepage- from there anyway. :)

welldigger

G.O = gear oil. That could mean gl 1 or gl 5 or whatever.

80w-90 is usually gl-5.

Non detergent strait weight engine oil such as 30w or 40w is basically the exact same thing as gl 1 gear oil. They are both base oil stock. The difference is with engine oil you have choices on viscosity. Whereas with gl 1 you basically get one choice in viscosity. Which is usually pretty thin.

Also keep in mind that engine oils and gear oils do not use the same scale to measure viscosity. Meaning 80w-90 gear oil is about the same viscosity as 50w engine oil.

todds112

After changing to 30 wt. I am noticing it is getting a "little" easier to shift from 1-2. I also tore down and cleaned/inspected the shift mechanism. Not sure which helped more. Maybe a combination of both.

rustystud

The problem with starting in second is thats the gear with the weakest bearing. If memory serves me right, M35tom's od kit replaces that bearing because it is so weak.

I am not 100% sure on this, but it might not hurt to look into it more.
Your right gimpyrobb , the second gear is the weak one and the kit has the main shaft cut down to except a roller bearing. That's why you need to drill out 2 new lube holes in it.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
just to set the record straight, there is no real weak link regarding 2nd that does not include 3rd as well. it is the hub for 2-3 syncro that has soft keys and if you really abuse it over and over again they will shear off. 2nd, 3rd, and 5th gear all spin right on the mainshaft, steel on steel, so if the speed gets high enough, it will get hot and chase all the oil away resulting in failure. that is the reason i mounted 2nd and 5th on needle bearings.

with a stock trans, there is absolutely no reason not to start out in 2nd once you know how to use the clutch. most trucks have a metallic pad disk and they are not intended to slip, so clutch engagement should be fairly quick and at a low rpm differential. same with shifting, put it in the next gear, release the clutch and then apply power.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks