• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

White smoke at idle and driving.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would do a cylinder rpm drop test as suggested earlier, If you had a cylinder issue it would narrow it down.

Last edited:

flyn2low737

If the unburnt fuel is bad enough, start it when cold….turn it off within a few seconds of starting, start pulling glow plugs till you find the wet one, there is your problem cylinder….done it may times
I will give that a shot. Do I need a specific glow plug tool for these? I have done plugs and injectors in my truck 7.3 Ford with just standard tools.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a dead cylinder the idle will not change when you loosen the injector line to that cylinder, no real need for a tach.
If you have a dead cylinder it will be pretty obvious and busting the injector lines is allot easier than pulling the glow plugs.

flyn2low737

If you have a dead cylinder the idle will not change when you loosen the injector line to that cylinder, no real need for a tach.
If you have a dead cylinder it will be pretty obvious and busting the injector lines is allot easier than pulling the glow plugs.
Any chance a sticking/failed injector would cause smoke to come out the intake? I ask as the intake bolts were loose on that side and I had soot on the exterior of the intake runners and an exhaust ticking that disappeared when I tightened the intake bolts. Kinda worried I have an issue in the head.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any chance a sticking/failed injector would cause smoke to come out the intake? I ask as the intake bolts were loose on that side and I had soot on the exterior of the intake runners and an exhaust ticking that disappeared when I tightened the intake bolts. Kinda worried I have an issue in the head.
I am not sure what you were seeing, I would bust the lines loose one at a time and see if I had a dead cylinder, then I would do as RWH said and pull the glow plug on that cylinder and do a compression test.
Usually a bad injector will cause a knock, not always but most of the time.
If you do have raw fuel comming out of the exhaust it is likely a compression issue, if raw fuel is somehow being dumped into a cylinder with compression it will fire early and knock like hell.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
you can also remove the run solenoid wire and if you have a cylinder that has no compression you will hear it "skip" or speed up when it comes to compress that cylinder, will not help to figure out which one though.

flyn2low737

I am not sure what you were seeing, I would bust the lines loose one at a time and see if I had a dead cylinder, then I would do as RWH said and pull the glow plug on that cylinder and do a compression test.
Usually a bad injector will cause a knock, not always but most of the time.
If you do have raw fuel comming out of the exhaust it is likely a compression issue, if raw fuel is somehow being dumped into a cylinder with compression it will fire early and knock like hell.
BD80846B-68D7-41F5-A438-0B9D0B72CBAF.jpeg

Reactions: OBX

flyn2low737

Alright I found one cylinder that makes the idle worse when it’s tight. When I loosen that injector the cylinder idle drops slightly but the idle overalll is better. There is also a knock I am getting from it but not consistently when the injector is snugged up. The knock definitely subsided when it’s allowed to leak. Sooo sounds like I need an injector but I will verify tomorrow and do a quick start and pull the glow plug on that cylinder. Should I go ahead and do a compression check?

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright I found one cylinder that makes the idle worse when it’s tight. When I loosen that injector the cylinder idle drops slightly but the idle overalll is better. There is also a knock I am getting from it but not consistently when the injector is snugged up. The knock definitely subsided when it’s allowed to leak. Sooo sounds like I need an injector but I will verify tomorrow and do a quick start and pull the glow plug on that cylinder. Should I go ahead and do a compression check?
I would be tempted to drop an injector in, unless you just have a diesel compression gauge with the correct adapter handy.
Hopefully it is an easy one to get to.

flyn2low737

I would be tempted to drop an injector in, unless you just have a diesel compression gauge with the correct adapter handy.
Hopefully it is an easy one to get to.
Of course I don’t have that tool yet. Good excuse to get one.
Passenger side 2nd one from the front. Not the best spot. Any suggestions on a good source for the injectors. All the ones I find are for a turbo.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can open a can of worms pulling a glowplug, most say if its bad it needs to be pulled anyway, just be ready to purchase a quality extractor if only half of the glowplug comes out.
You might look at the usual places for an injector, mac motors, Seco, hummer parts guy, AMG does not seem to have any listed, you can also put a want out in the SS classified but you have to be a supporting member (everyone should it's a great forum!)
You need to get the numbers off of your pump to match what injector you want

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or you can pop it out and have your local diesel injection shop look at it if you have one.
Seco lists the same injector for both the 6.2 and 6.5L NA engine

blutow

If the motor runs better without fuel to that cylinder, it seems like it might be a problem with the cylinder rather than the injector. Did the smoking stop when you cracked the line? I’d consider swapping injectors with another cylinder and repeat the test. If the problem moves to the other cylinder, good chance it’s the injector. It it stays with the original cylinder, it’s something unrelated to the injector.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks