• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who has attached a snowplow to their M1009.?

SgtHaas

Hey, I'm looking at getting a snow plow for my m1009 for the next 2 winters till i move back to NC. My usual plow truck is down. I was wondering what types are best and any advice would be best. I am just looking to plow my driveway(200ft) when it snows nothing crazy. Pictures would be cool. I'm in central Maine so we do get some snow. Thanks for the help. Awesome group here.
~Semper Fi ~
Sgt. Haas

cucvrus

I have. They are one of the best plow vehicles I ever drove. Very maneuverable in tight spaces and run them a night with the heater on high and the lights on. Never run out of electric. They are very good.

MarcusOReallyus

When I saw the thread title, I knew Rick would be on duty. :)

So, what brand of plow do you like, Rick? I'm looking for one for my truck. I have about the same driveway length as SgtHaas, and they don't always plow my road quickly, either.

UNIMOG-GUY

I've got a Blizzard 760LT on the front of my M1028. Just look to the left. I plowed 74 driveways and one church (1.5 acre parking lot) during our first snow fall last year and plowed the next 3 snow falls with it. I love the plow. I would recommend that at a minimum you have a back up hose should one blow. If you have the right connectors you can fab something together. Nothing is worse than a hose breaking in the middle of the night and you can't finish a job. It will only happen to you once and cost you big $$$ and you won't let it happen to you again. Especially when it's a Saturday night and the local hose house isn't open on Sundays. However if you are only doing it on your own driveway it isn't as big of a deal than if you are doing commercial applications. Also be sure to have some plow hydraulic fluid as well.
Here's a list of the spares that I carry with me: Angle cylinder hose, lift cylinder hose, hitch pin, angle pin, hydraulic connectors, solenoid, Power Hitch Toggle switch. I also carry 2 10ft sections of electric wire. I had to hard wire the lights to the battery one night when the light switch failed.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Most of our trucks have Western 8 ft Pro models on them. I have used Fishers and these 2 brands Western and Fisher have given me the best results. I plow a 2o acre lot and several miles of roads and parking areas on a 55 acre complex. They get used hard. The Buyer Products plow we bought is trash. It is 2-3 years old and made for a LD home owner. It bends and breaks every year and we only had it 2-3 years. But the CUCV's are the best plow trucks I ever used because of the dual alternator system and the 6.2 and 400 turbo. The vehicle is basically unstoppable and keeps going at full power for 2-3 days on end. We had major storms and I ran them trucks round the clock for 3 days straight. I remember opening the hood on a couple and just seeing an engine running in a snow pile. That was all that was visible was the engine and everything else was snow and ice. Amazing plow and work trucks. I used to have a 1973 Ford F250 tall boy. That is junk in comparison to the CUCV. The stick shift would wear you out and the lights and fan on high drew the batteries dead in a couple hours of plowing. I hope I answered your question. I do have a few plow frames and a complete plow here that I can part with. I will try to sell the entire Blazer I have listed in the Classifieds. That plow is not the hot set up but it works and plowed snow for the last 20 years. If you are a FAB guy you could improve its design and get the whole truck with plow for about what a used plow is worth. It just needs some TLC and a welder. Thanks for asking. You got me started. Oh yea i wanted to say the plow on the green Blazer M1009 in the classifieds is not any of my work. I would not do that type of work. But I must say it is functional. Just not pretty and I like function , fit and appearance all in one package.

Last edited:

nyoffroad

I've got an 8.5' Western on mine, at one time in it's life it was 7.5' but when you have a complete metal fab shop and a "helper" that really knows what he's doing things come out good!
I've had that old plow on civvie Blazers and trucks and now on a 1028 and rarely spin and have never gotten it stuck.
Never had a '09' but I'd think it would kinda combine the best, short wheel base makes it maneuverable and the 6.2 adds a little weight and dual alternators, what more could you ask for?

SgtHaas

I am a Snowbear dealer in MI. Light weight, about 200Lbs. I put one on my blazer and several other vehicles. They are simple to install and perfect if your not looking to do commercial plowing. Good for your driveway and a neighbor or a parking lot.
Will that work with heavy snow storms? 2ft snow drifts... Lol

tourus

I have a fisher 8 foot on my M1010. the fisher bolted right on.. the only mod I had to do was take the tie down shackle's out. then the rest bolt on . the wiring was as easy as put the correct toggle switch in . a couple of wires hook up it was done. On mine it looks factory and works the correct way the switch up is plow lights the switch is down regular lights . did also have to take the grill guard off or cut the bottom of it. I think your pump is going to be the hardest part for you to find but Traction is Augusta there can find the brackets for you the bolt under the right side alternator. If you don't know where that is it is behind the Irvin station on civic center drive. good guys there I have dealt with them for many years.. if you want to go with minute mount the Height's dealership in Skowhegan is very help full and can get you all of the stuff you will need to mount a minute mount. it will cost about a $ 1000.00 not including the plow. and they have the frame mounts in stock. $ 500.00 for all you will need. but I would think O'Connor's would be able to help you as well since you are right there.

cucvrus

018.jpgImagine this it plowed like this for the last 20 years.017.jpgThis is all that stopped the plowing. What is wrong with that picture? I just need to add a nerf bar from the frame to the back bumper to keep the axle in and it will plow again. Listed in the classifieds. Make me an offer on everything plow related. I am open for offers.

sweetk30

Fisher still makes the minute mount bracket that fits are trucks. They quite making the minute mount plow, but you can still find them used. http://www.partsforsnowplows.com/Fisher_Minute_Mount_2_Plow_Mount_Kit_7129_p/7129.htm
original minute mount AKA mm1 and the newer mm2 both clip in the frame brackets the same .

its just early first run was live hydro still or electric sehp pump out front with electric box over the 2 cables . then mm2 went full electric out front newer style pump .

best option for lots of reasons if you ask me .

fisher = tank tough

used mm1 and mm2 market is huge and just clip in to your truck and get specific electric kit .

Lawrence of Arabia

QUOTE=SgtHaas;1756483]Will that work with heavy snow storms? 2ft snow drifts... Lol[/QUOTE]

Well I live in MI. where we get our fair share of snow and we've had a few big storms that I plowed my 500yd driveway with no problem.

SgtHaas

Very nice! Thanks for the help /advice. I'm trying to find a used one for cheap up here in Maine but I may break down and go to one of the plow distributors around the area. If I can find a fisher mount I can get a plow from a friend

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blizzard and Western are owned and manufactured by the same company. Fishers tend to be hard on frames with the cutting edge being the only part of the blade that trips , but they do clean well.

sweetk30

western / fisher for years . then they wanted the blizzard tech for the expandable plows / fisher xls and western wide out . so they gobbled up blizzard .

its all douglas dynamics .

first time you ever trip a fisher lower trip shoe / edge you will think you broke something . . . . . BANG ! ha ha ha

keep a eye on evilbay the truck side for 73-87-91 square body gm shows up now and then . I see 4-5 a year at least list up .

7129 is the fisher truck side kit # .

Last edited:

Bmxenbrett

Sorry to bring up this old thread but you guys have installed plows on these and im looking for a specific wireing awnser.How do you wire the 24v headlights on the truck to turn off with out putting 24v into the isolation moduel for the plow?Assuming the headlights are 24v and the isolation moduel wont take 24v.

cucvrus

The headlamps on a CUCV are NOT 24 volt. Nothing is but the starter. Use the front battery and fire wall mounted 12 volt power point for all 12 volt hook ups.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks