• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

who is bidding

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooter01922

Tisk, tisk, this kind of discussion would be against forum rules. Sure the mods will step in and correct me if i'm wrong but pretty much any discussion of who's bidding is not allowed.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I tried to respond similarly, but it didn't show up. I might have clicked something wrong. Anyway, I believe that talking about who's going to bid on what, where and when is forbidden here because it gets too close to collusion.

If you're going to bid, don't tell me... but good luck anyway, and you MUST share pictures here of anything that you win. Lots and lots of pictures. [thumbzup]

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I hope you're joking about starting a bidding forum. If I'm not mistaken, bidding collusion is a felony in the US. That's why the moderators here have strict rules about anything that even kinda sorta looks like collusion.

dm22630

Re: RE: who is bidding

nf6x said:
I hope you're joking about starting a bidding forum. If I'm not mistaken, bidding collusion is a felony in the US. That's why the moderators here have strict rules about anything that even kinda sorta looks like collusion.
I think a more accurate description of why this is a banned practice, would be the sponsored ad in the top left corner. 2cents

Collusion comes in many forms, and is illegal largely in part due to price fixing in which people/corporations agree to charge certain amounts for their products "across the board". That is why we have anti-trust laws. Imagine all gas stations agreeing that gas is going to cost $10/gallon, or Cell phone companies saying the minimum bill will be $100. THEY WOULD if the govt did not step in. read more here ----> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collusion

The old rule of thumb is "there are no friends at auctions". But, NO LAW is going to make me bid against a friend if I dont want to.

FrankUSMC

The two dealers I saw at a DRMO sell who were talking to each other about not bidding against each other to keep the bid low (bidding collusion) were cought. They were both banned from the sells for several months.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Elwenil

RE: Re: RE: who is bidding

The site sponsor has nothing to do with it and you should be ashamed for suggesting it. Voicing weather or not you are going to bid in an auction is collusion or "bid rigging" and yes, it is against the law. I don't see anything wrong with Chris wanting to cover his butt by not allowing this sort of thing on his website that he provides for us free of charge. Check into how much a site like this costs, it's not cheap and I'm sure Chris doesn't want to add fines and jail time to the total.

EDIT: From the USA.gov website:

Offer (bid) rigging is a federal felony criminal offense under section 1 of the Sherman Anti-Trust Act (15 u.s.c. 1). Conviction carries with it a fine of up to $1,000,000 for corporations and up to $100,000 or three years imprisonment (or both) for individuals.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
He might not have thought about that. Good job pointing it out and explaining , i learned a little more on the subject. I knew you werent suppose to do that but not that endepth

dm22630

Re: RE: Re: RE: who is bidding

Elwenil said:
The site sponsor has nothing to do with it and you should be ashamed for suggesting it. Voicing weather or not you are going to bid in an auction is collusion or "bid rigging" and yes, it is against the law. I don't see anything wrong with Chris wanting to cover his butt by not allowing this sort of thing on his website that he provides for us free of charge. Check into how much a site like this costs, it's not cheap and I'm sure Chris doesn't want to add fines and jail time to the total.
I dont appreciate being railroaded for ONE observation. I am NOT advocating this practice. I think that it sucks, especially with what FrankUSMC described in his response with the 2 dealers. By doing this, they are allowing themselves to have more $$$ after the sale, which will make them end up buying more and more and more items to send overseas.

By not allowing the discussion of current items on this site (which I 100% agree with), it keeps "ANY FORM OF COLLUSION" away. This can be thought of as simply one person knowing what someone else will bid on, not saying/repsonding/etc to the poster, and because of THAT POST they end up not bidding on an auction. Simply knowing about another persons intentions to bid, and then not bidding yourself with zero communication does not constitute a "conspiracy" which Clark Truck Parts was convicted of.

Furthermore, I am fully aware that this site takes a considerable amount of time & money to keep running. I am a PROUD financial supporter of this site. I am not complaining in any way of the rules here. I like this site very much, and think that it is run very well. However, saying that Chris would face fines or jailtime for posts of OTHER PEOPLE is outrageous. If that was the case, Sprint/nextel/cingular/etc would face the same by users of their services.

area52

MoAllen said:
ok, bad me I will start a fourm Bidding military .com
Not to be a smart a$$ but I really wish we had a "new person signup read me list" that explains what you can and can not post on here. We see new people asking and posting stuff that they should have found if they only searched first.

I know I am guilty of this also, but maybe we should have a "read me first" thing for everyone signing up?

Elwenil

area52 said:
I know I am guilty of this also, but maybe we should have a "read me first" thing for everyone signing up?
I think we do, the problem is that everyone just skips to the bottom and clicks "I agree".

And DM22630, I wasn't railroading you but based on your comment:

dm22630 said:
I think a more accurate description of why this is a banned practice, would be the sponsored ad in the top left corner. 2cents
I think my response was fair and to the point.

dm22630

Elwenil said:
And DM22630, I wasn't railroading you but based on your comment:

dm22630 said:
I think my response was fair and to the point.
I think you misunderstood the comment that I was replying to...

dm22630 said:
nf6x said:

I responded to the part that nf6x said "That's why the moderators here have strict rules about anything that even kinda sorta looks like collusion."

My comment to nf6x was explaining WHY no discussion of anything.....that COULD be looked at as bid rigging/collusion/etc is banned. Discussion is not illegal. However, because of discussion, bidders not bidding against other bidders would occur. And, if that happened or was allowed to happen, GL would be angry.

I am glad we worked this out. [thumbzup]

ssgtwright-usmc

I think its OK to ask general questions about certain items but we should not post anthing here about what auction and what lot you are thinking about bidding on.
If you know someone from the SS site who lives in an area of where the bidding takes place then send that person a pm.
I dont mind sending a pm to a member asking them if they have the time to take a look at a lot that I might be bidding on.
I think we all would like someone to look for us if we are unable to look at said lot.
I do agree that we shouldnt post anywhere in the discussion board about what auction and what item we might be bidding on.
I agree we should help each member out if they are looking for something in particular and again, the pm should be used if said item is a auction item.
As for general parts then yes, post them on the message board so that all can know where to order such items.
To tell the truth, I am afraid to say what I might have found on GL looking for misc parts in fear that I may get outbid because now I let everyone know (Hey, I found a pallet full of new CUCV dashboards) now that is an example, but now I know everyone knows about it now and now we are going to be bidding against each other when before only a few knew such items were being auctioned.
I see why we have the rules here, we will start outbidding each other when a member could get a pallet for a fraction of the cost. The extras would hopefully be listed here in the (Items for sale) in which the prices would still be low.
Thats my 20 minutes of talk time.

MoAllen

Just close the tread, I was in the army for 26 years was medicaly retired , blown apart and dont want to hear any more rules, sorry I brought it up , but how about this I am new here, I dont want to hear how some one else cost me three months pay. clam down, I have been through worse. forget I ever said anything . It was a hour after med were taken. night to all my fellow veterans.
Master Sergeant Mims

ssgtwright-usmc

Master Sergeant,
No worries,
Its not an attack on you by no means. It is actually good that it was posted because alot of members are new and also a few old ones who dont know the rules to well.
If you are looking at getting a vehicle by auction I would post something like (Anyone near [such town and State]) and see what replies you get back and send that person a pm describing what you are looking at getting and if they can assist you.
I am new here also and I am always worried about getting outbidded on an item so I dont say anything about it on the post till I have won.
But again, no one here was attacking you personally, everything posted is to let all members the do's and donts.

nf6x

Feral Engineer

I don't think that anybody here is mad at you at all, Allen. You're welcome here on the board, and we were just pointing out a board rule and a US law that lots of folks don't know about until they're told. I certainly didn't believe that you had any evil intentions. You're not the first new board member to accidentally stumble over the taboo against talking about future bids in too much detail, and you won't be the last. There was no anger at all behind my own "don't do that" posts, but that doesn't always carry across so well when we're just typing on a glowing screen.

I'm not a veteran myself, but I thank you for your service to our country! I'm looking forward to seeing bigger pictures of your two new trucks after you get them home!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks