• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who makes the best hub boot?

m715mike

I replaced the front axel boots on my truck a couple months back. The replacement boots came from Rockwelloffroad.com. (Note I believe that Rock6x6 is a vendor on this site and sells his products through Rockwelloffroad.com.)

According to the gentleman that sold me the boots, Rockwelloffroad redesigned their front axel boots in early 2015. The new design is easier to install and is made with much thicker material. I can testify to this since I initially tried installing their old boots, which tore in my hand during installation. We'll see how the new boots stand-up to the test of time.

There are more details here:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...to-your-deuce-this-week&p=1776251#post1776251

Jeepsinker

Well those are what I will buy next time I have to buy boots. I grow weary of changing boots every few months. The longest lasting one I've had only lasted about 9 months, and it was a late manufacture Newstar. As you know, time and dry rot don't get mine, its use that gets them, and my truck doesn't even really leave pavement so sticks tearing them isn't the issue either.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am really sorry to bring up an old post but I am curious what you guys have to report about the last set of boots you report from Rockwell?

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, not from Rockwell, but... One of mine developed a tiny hole (that you could hardly fit a canteloupe through) so I replaced them in July, with a pair of the zip-up jobs from www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com. My truck is a daily driver, and gets about 6,000 miles a year. The boots from Erik's seemed to be pretty stout when I installed them. So far no issues.
IMG_20170727_122852764.jpg

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF1865.jpg Got 2 years (4500mi) out of the last pair. Soon as the weather warms up a bit I'll install these. For what it's worth, I noticed the boots with the gold zipper looked to be better quality, and lasted longer than boots with the silver zipper. 2cents

m715mike

I am really sorry to bring up an old post but I am curious what you guys have to report about the last set of boots you report from Rockwell?

No apologies necessary. Thanks for asking the question. I got about 2 years (less than 1,500 miles) out of my passenger side boot from Rockwell (from late 2015 to August 2017). I went in deep water following Hurricane Harvey in August 2017. Afterwards, I found a ~3" slit in the passenger side boot and a mix of water and grease inside. I believe my driver's side boot is still good.

View attachment 714801 Got 2 years (4500mi) out of the last pair. Soon as the weather warms up a bit I'll install these. For what it's worth, I noticed the boots with the gold zipper looked to be better quality, and lasted longer than boots with the silver zipper. 2cents

Tracer - Where did you get the Newstar zipper boots?

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is awesome and very good to know. I too am very interested in the gold zipper new star boots

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ones I got from Erik's have the gold zippers, and I believe they're NewStar brand. As stated, so far no issues (about 3,000 mi/6 months in). From the posts I've seen, it really does seem like there was a turning point in quality, for the better, a few years back.

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No apologies necessary. Thanks for asking the question. I got about 2 years (less than 1,500 miles) out of my passenger side boot from Rockwell (from late 2015 to August 2017). I went in deep water following Hurricane Harvey in August 2017. Afterwards, I found a ~3" slit in the passenger side boot and a mix of water and grease inside. I believe my driver's side boot is still good.

Tracer - Where did you get the Newstar zipper boots?
Mike, I picked up this pair on e-bay. The seller has free shipping, so that puts him at a competitive price with the sellers who charge for shipping. New Star Part # S-16901, replacement for: 7410883G. PS There are no clamps with these.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually thought I had posted this in this thread, but....

I used the boots from www.rockwelloffroad.com

I am not affiliated but their heavy-duty boots are made a tad larger than the originals, they go on super easy (I can attest to that) and the material appears sturdy. Colour choices, too, for playful people like me. I like orange.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually thought I had posted this in this thread, but....

I used the boots from www.rockwelloffroad.com

I am not affiliated but their heavy-duty boots are made a tad larger than the originals, they go on super easy (I can attest to that) and the material appears sturdy. Colour choices, too, for playful people like me. I like orange.
So how long ago did you replace yours and how many miles did you get out of them and can you take a picture of what they look like now please ?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the web site with all the info: http://www.rockwelloffroad.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=76

I replaced them not too long ago (August) but I had the luxury of comparing them with a pair of NewStar silver zipper boots I have had unopened for about 8 years (they were already broken), a pair of NewStar Gold zipper boots I have had unopened for about five years (they also ripped with little manipulation) and the original military boots I took off. The latter were still mostly ok, just old and leaked around the zipper.

The thick but flexible material of the rockwelloffroad boots feels sturdy. I had no problem whatsoever putting them on. There is a little video on YouTube that they made that shows these very boots being installed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlgyRl__LXk

m715mike

First, I want to say thank you to texas30cal for spending his entire Saturday yesterday helping me change axel boots. I greatly appreciate the use of his shop and all of the help he's given me. Thank you!

As mentioned in a previous post, I got two years out of my front axel boots from Rockwelloffroad. The passenger side boot had two holes (one ~3 inches in length and a second only half an inch long). The driver's side boot was still in good shape, but it got changed anyway.

The boots were replaced with new ones from Rockwelloffroad. The new boots appear to be made of quality material and went on easily.

Pictured below is the old passenger side boot.

65E031E1-1BA4-4C2C-A77C-59EF87B88C50.jpg

BEASTMASTER

I replaced my driver side boot about 12 years ago and 8k miles and it still intac. and doing well. I did the pass. side about ten yrs ago and it has just let me down. I bought a couple new ones from someone close by and had a heck of a time getting one on. come to realize that the zipper was sewn on the wrong side of the boot. the ones that wore the best were from Memphis equip, and that's where I will get mine from now on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks