• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WHO' S A FULL TIME LMTV OVERLANDER, ANY OUT THERE?

Reworked LMTV

Yep. Cheap is good.

I'm not one of these "let's blow $100k on a camper build" guys.

I don't have it.

Lot's a retasked, scraps, RV takeoff, and surplus stuff.

:)
Yep. Cheap is good.

I don't have it.

Make it a fun challenge to spend as little as possible to furnish it with things others have discarded with no idea of their value.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make it a fun challenge to spend as little as possible to furnish it with things others have discarded with no idea of their value.
It's all the tug-of-war between Cost, Quality, and Time. If you have the time, you can scrounge a lot. Most people are going to have to pay a lot to get what they want, without taking a decade to gather everything up. You just need to be realistic about what you're going to be able to put into it, and what you want to get out of it. What gets people in trouble is when they fail to estimate correctly.

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's all the tug-of-war between Cost, Quality, and Time. If you have the time, you can scrounge a lot. Most people are going to have to pay a lot to get what they want, without taking a decade to gather everything up. You just need to be realistic about what you're going to be able to put into it, and what you want to get out of it. What gets people in trouble is when they fail to estimate correctly.
Amen Brother-you hit that dead on target

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
Keep in mind that some of these builds you see contain a lot of "donated" components in exchange for the marketing plug on their YouTube channels.... The average guy, for example me, doesn't buy Scheel- mann seats at $3-4k a set, we buy Pacifica take-outs for $200....
Have an open mind to what is realistic within your budget, and that it takes a LOT of followers on YouTube before you're considered an "influencer" and get ad revenue.
It's like the folks selling "How to live off the land" books... if you really wanted that lifestyle and the independence it brings you wouldn't be marketing, or need to market a book/video.
Expedition Portal is still a great source for people that are actually living the lifestyle, not advertising it.

Third From Texas

Keep in mind that some of these builds you see contain a lot of "donated" components in exchange for the marketing plug on their YouTube channels.... The average guy, for example me, doesn't buy Scheel- mann seats at $3-4k a set, we buy Pacifica take-outs for $200....
Have an open mind to what is realistic within your budget, and that it takes a LOT of followers on YouTube before you're considered an "influencer" and get ad revenue.
It's like the folks selling "How to live off the land" books... if you really wanted that lifestyle and the independence it brings you wouldn't be marketing, or need to market a book/video.
Expedition Portal is still a great source for people that are actually living the lifestyle, not advertising it.

Any form of "donated" is good. While I'll never be one to share my build, ideas, or travels for sponsorship or monetization, I *do* accept donations.

My nephew has a little pod camper that was about six years old. They rarely used it as an 18' camper was too small for a family of four (now five, they are part rabbit I believe). Anyway, he decided to gut it and redesign it (I've no clue why opposed to selling it and getting a proper trailer for the fam).

But guess who got the interior bits, holding tanks, kitchen, shower?

It took a year off my planned build time (I live on a pretty limited income these days and have to save up for each step of the build).

Reworked LMTV

Yep. Cheap is good.

I don't have it.

Bliss Mobil 20 'units start at $400,000. for just the box and interior components. Very nice builds. Just add truck. 1 year wait time.

RV's in general have a 1 year wait time, given the volume of new purchasers. COVID has driven up sales a lot.

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
Bliss Mobil 20 'units start at $400,000. for just the box and interior components. Very nice builds. Just add truck. 1 year wait time.

RV's in general have a 1 year wait time, given the volume of new purchasers. COVID has driven up sales a lot.
I drive past several RV dealers in my NEO area that have to have millions of $$$ in inventory sitting in their lot, so I don't think there is any wait time.
Google Sirpilla RV on Google Earth and look at their lot... and that's not the only place like that....
Class A RV's selling for $250k and above fill their lot! Been there, looked at them for a different aftermarket business venture.

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ill throw in, since the words "part timers" was invoked..

LMTV ers are out here, Some us are not really sticker folks, and closed our Fakebook / Instagrat and all that time consuming stuff, so we are low vis.
We have been Rving for 22 years, we have built and redesigned 13 RVs, including FMTV MTVs,
travelled for 7 years straight, with winter breaks. 3 years in the MTV, and designing one now. Not FULL timers, but thousands of miles on the MTV chassis alone. We will hit the road again this Summer, if all works out ....
you probably have seen our truck about, its hard to hide -when not in the woods....where we prefer to be.
working on a... bigger one ... with a Theater cinema room.. what you can do with SQ footage... ;)

see you out there.
Gunny

50 M38
66 Dodge PW and tent
78 Holiday Rambler C
06 Jeep GC Overland
98 Aurora A
04 ABI Mirage A
14 Montana 28 TT
17 Fusion garage 5WL
04 AM Eagle A
94 SS EXDS AUS2 MTV-1086 LWB MHC
95/ SS EXDS Western Ranger MTV- 1086

Last edited:

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rather than the build I was looking more towards the build is done and the story on the road from that point.
There's plenty of builds and things, but who's left the garage and is now full-trimming it on the road, or at least for more than a month....?
PacNWLMTV, what stories are you looking for?
Lots and Lots of stories available.. once had the police called on us, while on the beach.. "terrorist have landed an assault vehicle" of course the amused Local police had to check out the story....
or 3AM front -planetary -hub rebuild in a strip mall parking lot / camping?
OR FREE state park off grid camping because the ranger wanted to "look at the rig"
part timing good times..

Last edited:

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ill throw in, since the words part timers was invoked..

LMTV ers are out here, Some us are not really sticker folks, and closed our Fakebook / Instagrat and all that time consuming stuff, so we are low vis.
We have been Rving for 22 years, we have built and redesigned 6 RVs, including FMTV MTVs,
travelled for 7 years straight, with winter breaks. 3 years in the MTV, and designing one now. Not FULL timers, but thousands of miles on the MTV chassis alone. We will hit the road again this Summer, if all works out ....
you probably have seen our truck about, its hard to hide -when not in the woods....where we prefer to be.
working on a... bigger one ... with a Theater cinema room.. what you can do with SQ footage... ;)

see you out there.
Gunny

50 M38
66 Dodge PW and tent
78 Holiday Rambler C
06 Jeep GC Overland
98 Aurora A
04 ABI Mirage A
14 Montana 28 TT
17 Fusion garage 5WL
04 AM Eagle A
94 SS AUS2 MTV-
95/ SS EXDS Patriot MTV

Gunny, Did I see that rig at Overland Expo in Va, parked that very spot..I got a picture around here somewhere. Hell of a rig

humbird2003

Seth actually put a lot into that truck besides the interior of the box. I think the biggest issue is how much folks are willing to drop into it. A LMTV is like a boat, a hole in the water you pour money into. I think the majority of the people who have the finances to really make one of these dependable as a full time, live-in RV would prefer to just buy one that's new, professionally built, and comes with a warranty.

I can attest to the black hole in terms of cost. I'm well into my camper build and in some ways it's like a wack-a-mole (anyone seen the money pit?). A major issue is retro fitting the available rv \ camper van products into a vehicle that is over 20 plus years old. It's a A2 with the M998 ambulance body. I have attached some photos. Would I do this over again and just get something pre-made? Maybe, but would it meet what I really want? I guess like everything else, there are trade offs.

By the way, looking for a shop that can swap my tires and put some new ones on. They are the original runflats that came with the A2.

Attachments

humbird2003

I can attest to the black hole in terms of cost. I'm well into my camper build and in some ways it's like a wack-a-mole (anyone seen the money pit?). A major issue is retro fitting the available rv \ camper van products into a vehicle that is over 20 plus years old. It's a A2 with the M998 ambulance body. I have attached some photos. Would I do this over again and just get something pre-made? Maybe, but would it meet what I really want? I guess like everything else, there are trade offs.

By the way, looking for a shop that can swap my tires and put some new ones on. They are the original runflats that came with the A2.
By the way, don't do this while trying to live in the camper also. In other words, don't give up whatever place you are living in (like I did). Unless you really have to. AirBnB and staying at friend's places have kinda become the norm for me. You really need a place to work on the rig.

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Humbird: Love where it is parked :) :)

Tire swaps are pretty easy//if you have the tools and place to do it

More details on that..work of art..do the rear ant mounts fold down

Last edited:

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drive past several RV dealers in my NEO area that have to have millions of $$$ in inventory sitting in their lot, so I don't think there is any wait time.
Google Sirpilla RV on Google Earth and look at their lot... and that's not the only place like that....
Class A RV's selling for $250k and above fill their lot! Been there, looked at them for a different aftermarket business venture.
ohhhh there is a wait time, depending on the rig.
Say you want to buy a “ professionaly built 4x4 RV with a warranty “
As stated....
Nope got to wait. Retail in priceing, and a huge wait time.
Look up Isata 5 with a cummins chassis, I was told 6 months. 215k- 250k
As these trucks are being made, and they are already sold.
Now there are PlEnTy of big huge 45 ft class As.. but they are worthless when you back into a puddle, and get stuck...
We are are looking for off road capable...
So,
We have other options, like
Earthnoroomer. At 1.1 million, is that an option for you? I could replace my trucks engine every year for 84.6 years at that cost.
(Or, buy a beach house on the NC coast and park my rig there... for the same money.)
Other great companies are also building units for 400-780k, but again, cost analysis?

bottom line is, skill sets. If you have the skills, and the facilities, your golden.
If you doNOT have the skill sets, contract with some shops that do, there are a ton of them, and you will be way ahead in money spent and have a reliable and CAPABLE unit.
And again, the Stewart Stevenson/Bae/Armorholding/Oshkosh trucks are some of the best American built heavy duty offroad trucks ever built.
They just are not FAST but we dont want fast in the woods, do we? We want capability.
Im betting My money on my workmanship and My warranty.. I know Ill be there if there is a problem.

So, build away shade tree mechanics,
Build away

see you on the trails

Last edited:

Third From Texas

As stated....
Now there are PlEnTy of big huge 45 ft class As.. but they are worthless when you back into a puddle, and get stuck...
So,
Earthnoroomer. At 1.1 million, is that an option for you? I could replace my trucks engine every year for 84.6 years at that cost.
(Or, buy a beach house on the NC coast and park my rig there... for the same money.)
Other great companies are also building units for 400-780k, but again, cost analysis?

bottom line is, skill sets. If you have the skills, and the facilities, your golden.
If you doNOT have the skill sets, contract with some shops that do, there are a ton of them, and you will be way ahead in money spent and have a reliable and CAPABLE unit.
And again, the Stewart Stevenson/Bae/Armorholding/Oshkosh trucks are some of the best American built heavy duty offroad trucks ever built.
They just are not FAST but we dont want fast in the woods, do we? We want capability.
Im betting My money on my workmanship and My warranty.. I know Ill be there if there is a problem.

Build away

see you on the trails

Also keep in mind that most things you can just walk onto a stealership and drive/tow away are mostly built on the inside with staple guns. So yeah, that stuff ends up at floor level pretty quickly off road.

But at the end of the day, if you want it done "right" you do it yourself.

;)

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
As stated....
So,

Build away

see you on the trails
I was responding to the "RV's in general have a long wait time" statement.
Our rigs are obviously not in the run of the mill RV classification.

Recce01

💯 GUILTY!!!! I just figured... you only live once, and I am so over the maze. I would rather risk all and fail than not try at all. The action of trying to escape the maze is better than giving in to it. It's like that saying, "A bad day of fishing, is better than a good day at work". We are broke AF, but we have friends, tools, dreams and a figure it the f out attitude. See you on the road!
@endlessatlas

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks