• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WHO' S A FULL TIME LMTV OVERLANDER, ANY OUT THERE?

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I finally made it…..well almost 98% complete on the M1078 conversion to a M1079 Overland vehicle. My wife and I both just retired and took the kids to a North Carolina vacation before their college starts back in a week. Then a few finishing touches on the truck. Then a week on a cruise boat to the U.S. Virgin Islands to to visit one of our national parks. Then we will hit the road a few weeks at a time then slowly stretching that out as we work out any bugs. The first year we are going to focus on the eastern United States all the way up to Maine. You’ll be able to follow us on Instagram @nomadventures360. CF8FEF00-2362-4951-B55A-8961E8E21C63.jpeg
45FAA397-2828-4D70-B62E-D7AC2AF00653.jpeg
B5174CCC-7BF7-4CFF-91EB-32CE5DC5C715.jpeg96A48E0C-3C2E-427D-A325-5DB973673E4E.jpeg

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome Keith! Congrats.
We’ve been in the Appalachians since Overland East.
Our plans this spring and summer, up East coast to meet up with friends in Canada, then to Newfoundland, then down to Montana..
Hope to see you out there.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I finally made it…..well almost 98% complete on the M1078 conversion to a M1079 Overland vehicle. My wife and I both just retired and took the kids to a North Carolina vacation before their college starts back in a week. Then a few finishing touches on the truck. Then a week on a cruise boat to the U.S. Virgin Islands to to visit one of our national parks. Then we will hit the road a few weeks at a time then slowly stretching that out as we work out any bugs. The first year we are going to focus on the eastern United States all the way up to Maine. You’ll be able to follow us on Instagram @nomadventures360. View attachment 887718
View attachment 887719
View attachment 887720View attachment 887721
Man thats slick you did a great job ! You ready to do another one now ???????

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
E74DF2BD-9913-414C-9668-34686EB0D1BB.jpegMy wife and I finally hit the road for 2 months. Then home for 2-3 weeks then we’re planning a 6 month trip up through eastern US all the way up to Maine. Instagram is @nomadventures360
Or Facebook carrierosenbergerknight

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 892806My wife and I finally hit the road for 2 months. Then home for 2-3 weeks then we’re planning a 6 month trip up through eastern US all the way up to Maine. Instagram is @nomadventures360
Or Facebook carrierosenbergerknight
Congrats Keith!
We are waiting on shocks and a steering link to get in, then I’m back on the road.
If you need a stopover give me a PM
We are near Emerald Isle NC
50 amp plug and park spot for you.
Gunny

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No clunks and the steering is tight. But my link from steering box to kingpin the boots are gone. So looking at options.
mine is a 2003 A1 with only 11,000 miles on it. With 90 psi in the tires and full load it takes the bumps like a champ but time says I should be changing them out.

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No clunks and the steering is tight. But my link from steering box to kingpin the boots are gone. So looking at options.
mine is a 2003 A1 with only 11,000 miles on it. With 90 psi in the tires and full load it takes the bumps like a champ but time says I should be changing them out.
The link is around 500$ a bit pricey to replace, they do sell just the boots .

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the 4 grease boots on my drag link and tie rod on my M1083A1, easy peezy.
I took both rods off and cleaned out all the old grease from each ball joint and replaced with good new grease, Lucas Red and Tacky. Works like new.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MME has them. They have the rubber ones and the silicone ones.
I purchased the rubber ones for my truck because they didn’t have the silicone when I replaced mine.

Hope this helps.
Tom.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome Keith! Congrats.
We’ve been in the Appalachians since Overland East.
Our plans this spring and summer, up East coast to meet up with friends in Canada, then to Newfoundland, then down to Montana..
Hope to see you out there.
Climb on the ferry out of BAR HARBOUR MAINE it carries you to Yarsmouth N.G. and go up that way its great lots to see in Halifax !

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I can tell you that the original grease boots have a wire retainer on the wide end of the boot that holds it in place. There is a groove around the tie rod end, that the wide end of the boot and the wire fits into.
The new rubber boot does not come with this wire but has a ridge of rubber on the inside of the boot that keeps it in place in that groove a long with the pressure when the boot is compressed by the knuckle and castle nut.
It appears that the silicone boot comes with that wire to hold it in place.
I removed the complete rod off the truck because it was easier to clean and work on. Watch out because the Cotter pins were rust in place on my truck. I had to drill the one out.
After removing the old boots from my truck there was some harden grease deposits in and around the ball joint. I cleaned the ball joints up with brake clean as I rotated the ball around. I then injected grease thought the grease zerk into the ball joint and it pushed out the remaining old grease and brake clean. I cleaned them again with brake clean again and filled it up with grease.
TIP: Don’t fill it up the ball joint with grease again until you put it back on because with the new grease in, the ball wants to rotate around when the castle nut was being installed and tighten. It was a PITA to get the castle nut back on that way.
Other than that it was easy peezy for me considering the other things I had to fix and repair on the truck.
Good luck.
Tom.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks