• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why Blue Hummer Spindle Nuts? Hummer H1’s video answer!

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I eventually will work with Hummer H1 in order to post this under Hummer H1’s profile.

These videos are taken by Hummer H1 on his new-to-him GovPlanet non-runner that he rehabilitated. It is now a runner.

I don’t want to delay posting this anymore because I promised to get it on this forum over a month ago.

(Neither Eric nor I are affiliated with Blue Hummer or ModMafia).

Last edited:

Autonomy_Lost

Interesting. It looks like the tapared bearing wore out which caused the loosness. Maybe as a result of not maintaining the gear oil in the hub?

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Possible but his hubs had oil and the bearings spin properly. He drained them in order to service when he noticed this hub was loose. This looks like a poorly serviced and or poorly tightened and or poorly secured nut had backed off.

Autonomy_Lost

Possible but his hubs had oil and the bearings spin properly. He drained them in order to service when he noticed this hub was loose. This looks like a poorly serviced and or poorly tightened and or poorly secured nut had backed off.
It's hard to tell definitively from the video, but after a second look it does appear from the position of the nut that it wasnt threaded on far enough. The only question is, was it tight once and then came loose, or was it never tightened properly to begin with? He did mention in the video that he had to fold the 2 tabs back in order to turn it, so it makes me think it wasnt installed properly to begin with. But this is just speculation.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's hard to tell definitively from the video, but after a second look it does appear from the position of the nut that it wasnt threaded on far enough. The only question is, was it tight once and then came loose, or was it never tightened properly to begin with? He did mention in the video that he had to fold the 2 tabs back in order to turn it, so it makes me think it wasnt installed properly to begin with. But this is just speculation.
Dude! I don’t understand your denial of this issue. The freakin’ thing was loose. It was loose on a used driven military vehicle that was sold on GovPlanet. The hub was properly closed and sealed. These things when properly installed are torqued down and can’t be twisted by finger. They don’t allow axial in and out play at all.

This was the definition of a spindle that was about to fail.

Last edited:

Autonomy_Lost

Dude! I don’t understand your denial of this issue. The freakin’ thing was loose. It was loose on a used driven military vehicle that was sold on GovPlanet. The hub was properly closed and sealed. These things when properly installed are torqued down and can’t be twisted by finger. They don’t allow axial in and out play at all.

This was the definition of a spindle that was about to fail.
I'm not denying the issue at all. It's an issue. I was speculating about the cause.

Edit: Pm sent

Last edited:

blutow

my 1123 from gov planet had a “spindles checked” sticker on the front like many of them. But I still bought new lock waahers and serviced them very carefully. It’s obviously a critical system and the design is far from idiot proof from a maintenance standpoint. There is no way I’d trust someone I don’t know very well doing that maintenance. No offense to the guys in the motor pool, but things get screwed up. I’m not gonna debate the need for the blue hummer system. They look like a good design, but I believe a properly serviced spindle (later version of the nut/washer) is perfectly safe.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my 1123 from gov planet had a “spindles checked” sticker on the front like many of them. But I still bought new lock waahers and serviced them very carefully. It’s obviously a critical system and the design is far from idiot proof from a maintenance standpoint. There is no way I’d trust someone I don’t know very well doing that maintenance. No offense to the guys in the motor pool, but things get screwed up. I’m not gonna debate the need for the blue hummer system. They look like a good design, but I believe a properly serviced spindle (later version of the nut/washer) is perfectly safe.

I have no affiliation with blue hummer or mm. I feel that if you keep up on the system like you say in your post, you are probably safe. For the rest of us lazy bastids, blue hummers are an additional safety factor.

Please post images of the later version you’re referring to, as I think I know what you’re referring to but I’m not certain. There have been several iterations.

blutow

I have no affiliation with blue hummer or mm. I feel that if you keep up on the system like you say in your post, you are probably safe. For the rest of us lazy bastids, blue hummers are an additional safety factor.

Please post images of the later version you’re referring to, as I think I know what you’re referring to but I’m not certain. There have been several iterations.
Here is a pretty good link to the HPG website that discusses some of the versions. It does not have a pic of the discontinued "4 slot" military military version, but I assume it's basically the same with half the points of engagement. They also highlight how to help identify non-oem tabbed washers. It also looks like there is a totally different lock nut approach for the Rev B hubs with the helical reduction gears. I'm not sure if those are backward compatible with earlier hubs or not. Honestly, I like the mechanical interference design of the tabs. The later compression approach is probably good also, just want to make sure it's very clean and you are using the right flavor of thread lock.

This is the pic of the "8 slot" version I had on my truck. All of mine looked like they were installed correctly except 1. That suspect one had some washer tabs that looked like the washer might have been re-used. Probably not a problem if you are reusing it with different tabs doing the locking, but just not good practice in my opinion. I'll reuse cotter pins sometimes if they are in good shape, no way I'm reusing these washers with the criticality of the part and potential for metal fatigue from bending multiple times. They are pretty brittle, I tested one of the ones I took off and the tab broke off after just a few bends back and forth.

1670169467976.png

blutow

So did anyone notice the spindle nut is installed incorrectly? The lock washer isn’t failing, the nut is on backwards, in addition, I suspect the spacers were installed incorrectly or not at all…
Good eye, I know you've seen more than your share of these spindles coming straight from the military. Wondering how many you see with screw ups like this or other issues with improper torque, tab engagement, etc. ? The design really isn't great when you are expecting 18 year old kids with many distractions to give them the attention to detail they deserve.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good eye, I know you've seen more than your share of these spindles coming straight from the military. Wondering how many you see with screw ups like this or other issues with improper torque, tab engagement, etc. ? The design really isn't great when you are expecting 18 year old kids with many distractions to give them the attention to detail they deserve.
spindle nut tab washers are used in just about every type of wheel setup ive ever worked on, Trailers, trucks…you name it, this is not a hmmwv thing.A few people have made this a bigger issue than it is IMO, folks have almost zero insight into why the spindle nuts were to be checked…well, it’s because the Govt ended up with a bunch of inferior tab washers and was required to go and check the entire fleet to perform an inspection.
It really never had anything to do with them just failing, every instance of spindle failure I’ve ever seen in my life was due to improper installation by someone.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
So did anyone notice the spindle nut is installed incorrectly? The lock washer isn’t failing, the nut is on backwards, in addition, I suspect the spacers were installed incorrectly or not at all…
I could be wrong. Or TM is wrong. With the flat side to the locking washer... that makes for a real tight 90 degree bend into the slot/s. Stress crack ??

Note OLD one tab and NEW two tabs.
D43F29B2-F3C9-409E-9973-799A62FFBD05.jpeg

Coca-cola or tab...your decide, CAMO

Attachments

SmartDrug

That was my thought as well, Commo, but I have literally zero experience here.

I like the idea of the Blue Hummer's lock ring setup, but $600 is a healthy chunk of change for some hardware. That said, I'll go that route for my next hub service.

SmartDrug

I think the confusion here is that RWH is talking about the videos - where the nut is installed backwards. Due to the timing of his post, it seemed (to me at least) like he was talking about @lpcoating's picture, which has them installed correctly per the TM and the Howitzer cartoon.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
RWH... POINT TAKEN (y)(y)(y)

What to they say? Life hanging on a thread...or tab. Tabs hold the world and wheels together. Reading along here and when I did my truck spindle work, I too thought this is where they cheeped out. But as stated SOP in the spindle / axle world tabs work.

If one or two tabs hold it... why not cut a few more groves in the nut and pick up some more tabs. (but there is only one shaft keyway) Looks to be easy, tabs on washer seem symmetrical. Shouldn't be any spin action (torque) on the nut... so I am OK with the way it works. Does make ones head spin, LOL aua

IMO the nut kits sold with the compression and screw kinda scare me 👻 There a real good UTube on it. Nice idea ?? but seemed to be no better for the $$$ and fussing with torque specs. There's a place for a screw up.

How much for a cotter key, CAMO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks