• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why do people bash the CUCV?

linx310

After driving my M1009 for about a week and half I think its a great truck.

From some of the remarks made I do wonder if its from people who have never even owned one...after driving mine I have noticed it is not as noisy or underpowered as I thought it was going to be...and its more nimble then I thought as well...

And then I see people cutting down the 6.2 diesel. For what it lacks in power it seems to make up for in fuel consumption, reliability, cheap parts, and ease of maintenance.

Even thie wiki article mentions they were a failure. From some of the descriptions people make it sound like it is one of the worst vehicles ever. 25 years of service seems to be pretty good to me.

Last edited:

Sirblissfull

Might have something to do with the basic problems of owning one.

First thing a lot of people have to do is completely rewire them, having a crap electrical system in the vehicle seems to really annoy people.

I have had that experience with every Chevy I have owned so I will never own one again. If it was just my experiance I would leave it at bad luck, since I have a VERY large family and no one else had anything good to say about them either I am inclined to believe it is not just me.

91W350

As transportation they are wonderful. As a pulling vehicle, they are weak. I personally like the CUCV line. Smooth and dependable..... they just have mechanical limitations. They cannot compete with the newer diesels, for their day though, they did a good job. Drive them, work them,enjoy them, just know they are no Powerstroke, Cummins or Duramax.

Bighurt

Let me think $3500 or $35000.

I love my F350, but I want a CUCV. I learned long ago that it's very hard to have a vehicle you want to mod and a daily driver. I don't want to lift and heavy mod the F350 and the cost of buying a CUCV, I could do more in the same budget.

When it breaks I still have old reliable.

I just need to find one...

jward37

My first was a great truck. 2 hour commute at 60mph every day for years, offroad anywhere I wanted to go, indestructible. That's why I just bought another. I put a large trace inverter in my original and it built our house. It still runs but needs a lot of rust repair. The one I just bought needs some work, but started right up and drove home. You do have to be persistent when there is a problem. Mine have been primarily related to the fuel system and some parts made out of unobtainium.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because it's a diesel blazer/pickup. I really don't think of them as MV's, they were not designed for the military. I would own one, just don't expect it to be a heavy duty MV.

bardenk1

i too just bought my first m1028 and drove it 2 hours home with no problems. i think the only reason why people bash them is they are slow. i cant argue with that. i love mine so far and cant complain abut much except for the fact that i have no radio and the throttle is stiff. but i drove mine 2 hours home when i bought it and it has fired up first start every cold morning so far so ill take it.

DokWatson

Depends on where you live. Around here people are more likely to think they are really cool. We also happen to be a state that maintains all of our rights to own firearms and carry them. Not a lot of fear of guns and Military to be found compared to oh...California etc.

lindyp38

Because it's a diesel blazer/pickup. I really don't think of them as MV's, they were not designed for the military. I would own one, just don't expect it to be a heavy duty MV.

if im not mistaken these trucks had to meet government specifications.....

and were delivered with specific government only features.....

emr

Simple really, because it is a Military vehicle it has a very cool factor , but in reality it is and never was much of a truck, the only reason the Mil ones are still on the road is they are very low mile vehicles, But I am only stating the truth, the 6.2 was a 454 mashed into a diesel, it was the cheap way to get into the market and was a big sales failure and hardly any get any hi miles, now there are a few guys who say, " theres got 400,000, miles, great for them they are the exception not the rule with these trucks, and for guys ...I should say some guys that I also agree with think they are well... dogs... And since u asked they are absolutly NOT a tactical vehicle either, some think they are, the split charge system seems to be a real pig too, But hey if i could get one cheap enough i would get one too, Oh they like all blazers are known for weak axles too, they are only a 1/2 truck also, another short fall, weak describes this well. HEY U ASKED!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry everything i said is true, but with all that said if u like it ENJOY IT!!!!!!!! But like i said U asked, oh there are those that think because its a chevy its good, thats opinion for sure, all manufacturers have dogs and this is one... :beer::driver:

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Bashing is not limited to CUCV's. It seems that everytime someone comes up with something new, our "manufacturing experts" come out of the woodwork and beat the poor Idea to death.

1986Blazerk5

If you read the Wikipedia Article it also says that in the 80's they were trying to get better gas mileage then power as that was the time of the oil crisis, the 6.2l got better miage then the 4.3l GM V6. Below is quote from the article

"The original 6.2 L (379 cu in) Diesel V8 was introduced in 1982 for the Chevrolet/GMC C/K trucks and was produced until 1993. The 6.2L diesel emerged as a high-MPG alternative to the V8 gasoline engine lineup, and achieved better mileage than the General Motors 4.3L V6 gasoline engines of the 80s, at a time when the market was focused on mileage more than power."

buzzinhalfdozzen

I'm a die-hard chevy guy, but, that 6.2 is the worst thing I've ever driven or worked on. I'd buy a gas job any day of the weak over a 6.2. The rest of the truck (other than the wiring sometimes) is great.

linx310

the 6.2 was a 454 mashed into a diesel
That is the first I have heard of that. Since it is only 378 what did they change/take from the 454?

I thought the 6.2 and 6.7 were GMs first diesel engines designed from the get go, unlike the Oldsmobile designs which were converted gas engines.

So much confusing info out there...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks