• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

?why does a m816 have canvas stake holders

martinsaunders06

? why does the wrecker bed have fitments for the canvas/rear tilt upright stakes? was a rear canvas ever fitted to a wrecker bed and if so does any one have any pics?. would be interested to know. many thanks martin

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On low density/high value targets like wreckers and fuelers, the Army thought it was a good idea to be able to "camo" them to look like normal cargo trucks. A good theory, until you need to take the canvas on and off a few times to use the wrecker boom. It uses the normal cargo variant canvas/bows.

steelandcanvas

On low density/high value targets like wreckers and fuelers, the Army thought it was a good idea to be able to "camo" them to look like normal cargo trucks. A good theory, until you need to take the canvas on and off a few times to use the wrecker boom. It uses the normal cargo variant canvas/bows.
:ditto:

papercu

A good theory,
That may be true and the pocket are there but any plane attacking a convoy or a single truck would be after cargo trucks as well as tankers after all they are wanting to destroy troops and supplies for troops and armor.
The submarines would bypass the destroyers and go after cargo ships, troop transports and tankers. Wayne

roders

Hi

Will send you some pictures of are M936 wrecker.

We place the the 3-colour camo cover and hoop set over are wreckers, to help protect the crane from the elements.

Hope you like the pictures.

Marltrax MMV.:arrow:

NEIOWA

That may be true and the pocket are there but any plane attacking a convoy or a single truck would be after cargo trucks as well as tankers after all they are wanting to destroy troops and supplies for troops and armor.
The submarines would bypass the destroyers and go after cargo ships, troop transports and tankers. Wayne
In NATO the threat from Special Ops/Fifth Column to US troops was greater than the threat form Red air. Ambush on log. column being a major objective. Particular interest in fuel supplies (pipeline, bulk tanker or TPU). Cut fuel supplies and armor become pillbox in less than 24hr.

Doctrine was bows and a minimum of camo nets on top. Camo nets on TPU pods were a PITA.

Reactions: HDN

ida34

A guy with one RPG might choose more carefully and as already stated, ambush is more likely than an air attack. When was the last time we had to worry about air attack? You can always tell who has air superiority by how the vehicles are marked. The ones with the air want to be seen from the air while the others want to hide. We had panel markers on our roof in the first gulf war and I see that they still had them by the second.

emr

It is not a theory and it dates back to WW1 in design, and implemented in WW2 the most, and the M series of vehicles retained this because there was still a threat from the air and other types of attack, it also is used on tankers and the lot, It does not make sense to leave em out , but to be true they are the first things left behind in a real theater in most cases. If the wrecker is being used as a sweep vehicle it would never have the bows set up, and it IS a very very awesome thing for the hobbiest to do now and then, and it sure does keep it dry and ice fre also. but the design is and was simple the or all the targets in the convoy should look the same, as possible as to missdirect incoming fire. that is fact...randy

Chief_919

As stated the initial reason was to disguise them as cargo trucks. We even rigged a set on a HEMTT tanker in Afghanistan to help hide what it was.

A very nice secondary effect is that for reserve and guard units where the wrecker may sit for months they proved great protection from the elements.

papercu

I still can not believe a wrecker would be a high profile target and a soldier in a ground attack would be able to see the boom sticking out the back. In a convoy, planes in most cases would try to start at the rear or front and shoot down the line at anything on the road.
I was referring to WWII for the air attack hence the submarine bit.
I do like it being used as the cover for weather protection but I understand being a high priority target makes for a better tale.
Thanks for the picture first one I've seen.

In NATO the threat from Special Ops/Fifth Column to US troops was greater than the threat form Red air.
If that was true then me and a lot of other guys spent many a long and cold nights in Germany at a Hawk unit for nothing. :-D
Until someone comes up with official document I'll stick to my story but you are welcome to believe your. :-D Wayne

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Dang Roders, that made me re-think selling my extra bows and top. Guess I'm gonna keep 'em. Thanks for the pics. Never thought to cover my wrecker bed.

NEIOWA

I still can not believe a wrecker would be a high profile target and a soldier in a ground attack would be able to see the boom sticking out the back. In a convoy, planes in most cases would try to start at the rear or front and shoot down the line at anything on the road.
I was referring to WWII for the air attack hence the submarine bit.
I do like it being used as the cover for weather protection but I understand being a high priority target makes for a better tale.
Thanks for the picture first one I've seen.

If that was true then me and a lot of other guys spent many a long and cold nights in Germany at a Hawk unit for nothing. :-D
Until someone comes up with official document I'll stick to my story but you are welcome to believe your. :-D Wayne
Central assumption in Europe was that USAF/NATO was going on maintain at least parity with the commies. ADA would keep any other Red air leakers occupied. DOD never really had an understanding or plan for handling the 5th column we would have faced during a general war in Europe. The assuumption that Corps MPs would maintain route and rear area security was totally unrealistic. Our logistics column and trains/rear area would have had significant problems with local ground attacks.

Think during the coldwar we were prepared for the type of log attacks we have seen in Iraq?

martinsaunders06

thanks for all the replies, great to see pics old and new of covered wreckers.. certainly would make a change to see out and about on the rally scene. ? ........Rod they are smart looking trucks.

mckeeranger

thanks for all the replies, great to see pics old and new of covered wreckers.. certainly would make a change to see out and about on the rally scene. ? ........Rod they are smart looking trucks.
Seems it would be handy to put stuff in when going to a rally. You could haul tents, coolers, etc. and not have to tie everything down. Even with the boom, there is still some space back there.

wsucougarx

Outstanding!! I look at it as a good way to keep the weather out of there. Being from the PNW, we get plenty of rain to make our trucks look like Tow Mater:wink:

• Haha