• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why shouldnt the 900 series be put into Reverse in Low?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive read that the 900 series trucks shouldnt be put in reverse while in low because it can cause damage to the transmission, is this true? What damage does it cause? Is there any solution for this?

jedawson1

So is there a solution? Like limiting RPM in reverse? I ask because im sure there will be times I will be in low and will really need reverse to get myself unstuck.
I'm pretty sure this is why my truck has a lock out on Reverse while the T-case is in Low.
Soldier A decided he needed to get unstuck by rocking the truck back and forth in Low, truck tires bite in and Pop goes the weasel.

On a serious note, unless I'm loaded down, my truck will spin the tires in hi just fine in loose mud or sand. I have considered an 800 series truck for the manual shift capability when off road, but then you get the sprag.

GHall

I'm thinking it is only a problem when turning in reverse low. I would still suggest never doing it just to be safe. Has anyone ever been in a 4x4 civy vehicle in 4wd while reversing and turning and have your vehicle stop itself? I think the drivetrain just binds like crazy especially with the big tires, weight and high traction situations. As stated before the transfer case seems to be the weakest link in this situation.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the photos I have seen, "POP" goes the transfer case. As DH states: Read the TMs.............:mrgreen:

M813A1

It is because thee is not much slip in the driveline and the shock load from going from Reverse into first causes to much shock to the trasnfer case and as " DH " said POP goes the transfer case. The M939 series and the older M809 trucks both use the Sprag style trenasfer case !!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd be willing to bet you won't need an answer for at least a year, based on your trucks condition.

This is only an issue when you increase tire size above 11.00-20.

You have plenty of time to RTM, since your truck is a dead in the water.. Why waste everyone else's time answering such an easy to answer question?

This topic has been covered in great depth previously and nothing new has been developed since then.

Yes indeed, RTM. Search, learn

Last edited:

Scarecrow1

Look I may be stepping into it waste deep but, I joined this site because of the vast knowledge of the members. I pay dues and spend far more time on here than I should, again because of the brotherhood of fellow crazy people. If I know an answer it makes me feel good to be able to share it with my friends . If not then I get to learn something new!!! When they ask one I don't know ( Which is a lot ) To me it's a win win situation. EXCEPT when I see people ( NO) Fellow members being handed their butts for asking a question!!!!!!The Tm's are great if you have far more time on your hands than many of the people on this site do. You know those little things like a job or families and get this some people on here even have a life other than MV's.
I don't want to sound like it's right to have to answer the same question for the 100th time so I just close the thread and move on. I have children and many of the members on here are the same age and younger than them ,so I do what ( WE) should all do with people wanting to learn.........I teach them, I don't have all the knowledge I need to know on these trucks. Like all things in life it is a learning process but, I will not try to insult anyone who knows more or less on the subject ...........Now let the hate mail begin.....I can learn from it too......

KsM715

I have children too. I teach them how to do something so the next time the situation comes up they know how to handle it. I dont answer the same question or repeat the same task over and over for them.

I dont want to jump on the OP but anyone who has been on this site long enough knows or should know RTM or search first. Once you "teach" someone that most answers are in the manual or already discussed on the site, theres no need to keep repeating whats already been covered. When you keep starting new threads that have already been coverd multiple times it waters down the search results and makes it harder in the future to search for things.

emr

I have to agree with Doghead...use the search function, As for allot of the answers givin here they are opinion, not the facts. It does make me chuckle when guys give answers that sound like fact, when they should be saying, Is. ... It is my guess this is what it could be :) ...Those who see my posts see that I offer " and say " This is my Opinion, or i say this is what I know from the unit here, Or I may say I have facts to back this up, just sayin , :)... I have typed the problem, the solution , in a few posts. it is all in print from Uncle Sam , Allison , and AM general .All did and concluded tests on this . The trans is robust and strong and so is the transfer case, millions of hard miles in Iraqi freedom and desert storm prove it, more miles than any other truck, Driver error, and improper training to start were the culprits, Never shift your truck fast, its a big trans, let it finish its work , biggest problem, ....Its also old. It is also NOT 2013 technology.But it is awesome. Follow the rules and you will be fine, these are TACTICAL vehicles .. Not the high way trucks like allot of guys want to drive em like. ... It is good to ask But like this site says to do, Search first, it ( this site ) has been around awhile, it just seems lazy to allot of guys to just shoot off some of these questions, Now any question is a good one, but remember if you are on a dedicated site that says to use the search first, You will actually learn more and have better questions later...., Don't worry its a weekly sometimes multiple daily thing with new guys. And like i always say, People that are to thin skinned to handle this type of stuff should think twice before playing with the Big Green Toys :) All the best :)

Last edited:

KsM715

polite, proper, and etiquette

Three words that are quikly losing ground in todays society.

(thats not a shot at the OP, mearly an observation of Dh's post)

Status
Not open for further replies.