• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why so Hot?

motormayhem

Runs around the 190* thermostat when temps are below about 90*. For temps between 90-105* it will run about 195-200* in traffic or at lights, about 200-205 down the highway, and as high as 210* on long hills. Has a new water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, and radiator was fixed and cleaned about a year ago. The only not stock cooling system piece is a 10"x18" transmission cooler mounted right in front of the radiator (see pic), but stock blazers had a/c in front of radiator so how is that different? Whats causing my temps or are they ok for 100* weather?

Thanks,
Motormayhem

Attachments

southdave

Runs around the 190* thermostat when temps are below about 90*. For temps between 90-105* it will run about 195-200* in traffic or at lights, about 200-205 down the highway, and as high as 210* on long hills. Has a new water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, and radiator was fixed and cleaned about a year ago. The only not stock cooling system piece is a 10"x18" transmission cooler mounted right in front of the radiator (see pic), but stock blazers had a/c in front of radiator so how is that different? Whats causing my temps or are they ok for 100* weather?

Thanks,
Motormayhem
did you turn up the fuel? did you flush the block? yet maybe the trans contrib. to heating as well engine oil? if all else fails try a 180 t-stat 19 bucks at ss-diesel.

motormayhem

did you turn up the fuel? did you flush the block? yet maybe the trans contrib. to heating as well engine oil? if all else fails try a 180 t-stat 19 bucks at ss-diesel.
I fuel is stock setting. Didn't flush the block, but I did run a hose through the block till it ran clear and used a radiator flush kit from twice because the first time it didn't cleanup all the way. I tried a 180 stat and it didn't change so I went back to the 190.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're forgetting an obvious suspect - the gauge is faulty and reads a little high. I've seen it on all sorts of MVs, mostly deuces, but I'm sure CUCVs can have it too. You might check the temperature cable from the thermostat to the cab, not sure how hard it is to change out the temp gauge in the cab, but you might try that too.

OL AG '89

my 2cents.
First question is, what is the correct "TM supplied answer" for the temp of a 6.2L normal operating conditions?

FROM
TM 9-2815-237-34
Cooling system:
Type . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Liquid with fan and radiator​
Operating temperature (normal) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 190°-230°F 88°-110°C

So according to the TM you are within specs......

Woodsman

my 2cents.
First question is, what is the correct "TM supplied answer" for the temp of a 6.2L normal operating conditions?

FROM
TM 9-2815-237-34
Cooling system:
Type . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Liquid with fan and radiator​
Operating temperature (normal) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 190°-230°F 88°-110°C

Not to mention the impact of the aftermarket A/C condenser. That can dump a lot of heat into the radiator and it only gets worse as the ambient temperature increases.

DokWatson

I will also point out you can't fully flush the block without pulling a plug on the bottom, water will just run right over the sediment on the bottom. Gotta stick a thin punch in there and rattle it around to break it up.

OL AG '89

Are we still discussing this?
the operating range is 190 to 230.
you said the hottest it gets is 210.....

YOU are WITHIN specs.....
don't do anything, IT AINT BROKE!!!!:deadhorse:

motormayhem

my 2cents.

FROM
TM 9-2815-237-34
Cooling system:

Somehow im just reading this...Anyway thanks a bunch I had been looking for an "official" answer for a while and couldn't ever find any specs. I heard everything from never above 190 to 215 will crack the heads to 230 is where the idiot light comes on so thats overheating. I kinda figured it was ok since my cummins is in the red at 230* as well but wanted to error on the safe side. Thanks for the official info!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks