• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why the Deuce Doesn't Have These I'll Never Know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Srjeeper

I'm still waiting on the first picture to show he's done anything more than talk.

nopics

Till then, 'The empty drum always makes the most noise' mindset seems to best fit here.

2cents

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could write a reply to this thread but why bother. All the threads started by this guy end like this. Anyway we can just have a mod yank it when he starts to sound like the leader of the human race?????:rant:
Scooter, I keep telling myself the same thing but he keeps sucking me in :-?. Sometimes I just have to respond when someone pulls figures out of the air and claim it as fact. Someone that doesn't know any better may take it for the truth.

scooter01922

I have fallen prey to replying to his drivel but it just isn't worth the time. I along with quite few others i 'm sure are done with reading anything this clown has to post.

silentbob

Well I sort imagined placing the winch behind the cab and using rollers I could direct the cable forwards or backwards as needed. Plus I figured I would add a little extra rail to the frame and stiffen the point of pulling distribute the weight of the winch and force of the pull across the entire chassis so less the shock of pulling momentum on the truck. That is the plan at least.

So how do you crawl under the truck to run the winch cable when you are buried up to the frame rails in mud?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kraz 255B has everything the M35 and M809 M54 series should have had.
That's your opinion. The Gov't didn't see it that way.

The answer to the question in the title of this thread is very simple. The deuce doesn't have these because they weren't part of the military design standard.
You can cross out never because now you have the answer to the question of the thread. With that said your truck should be an interesting exercise in re-engineering. It would be fun to compare the finished product to the one designed by Reo in 1949.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Locking diffs may require special skills and precautions to prevent damage when used. Snow chains don't and are very good in mud and snow, sometimes better than lockers......
I have driven the deuce in deep snow and in mud and the chains will give you unbelievable traction.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Locking diffs may require special skills and precautions to prevent damage when used. Snow chains don't and are very good in mud and snow, sometimes better than lockers......
I have driven the deuce in deep snow and in mud and the chains will give you unbelievable traction.
Chains are great, no doubt about it. And you would want them one the truck even if you had lockers on front and rear in say 20-30inches of snow like I'm used to in Up State New York. And I've used them in mud too. But you still want the lockers... They will help a lot conditions.

Barrman

"Slide #131

As you can see class, I have ignored the answer given to my original question yet again and replied with a different arguement altogether. Notice how new posters keep showing up to tell me the correct answer? Then I just change the subject again to confuse them."

Are you sure this isn't some kind of social experiment?

Rolling_Eudaimonia

So how do you crawl under the truck to run the winch cable when you are buried up to the frame rails in mud?
Well the cable would be set up so it could be used primarily from a rearward position. So all I would have to do is just walk to the back of the truck and pull the cable out until I reach my anchor point. I would only reverse the direction when necessary to pull someone else out from the front.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

"Slide #131

As you can see class, I have ignored the answer given to my original question yet again and replied with a different arguement altogether. Notice how new posters keep showing up to tell me the correct answer? Then I just change the subject again to confuse them."

The response wasn't that relevant to the discussion. If you look at all the current military vehicles in service have locking diffs. So it would seem that fear you have military wants to make a truck idiot proof is probably not that big of a concern. Therefore the fact that you want to claim that people might misuse a locker is really like saying well we cannot have an engine in the truck because people might over rev it. The logic is faulty. If you build a truck designed to spearhead the advancement of your army into all sorts of terrain it you build it to do so. You then properly train your crews to operate the truck correctly. It's not like the truck with lockers especially selectable lockers is hard to drive. I can come up with a whole list of things that could misused on the truck in its present condition such as the low range, over-reving the engine, overloading the truck, the front axle drive, fording capability etc and so on. So what you are basically saying is that the US Government didn't feel the need to train it's truck crews well enough to properly understand the truck they were driving.

If you attempt to make a truck completely idiot proof you probably find the only truck you wil have is a cardboard cut out. The fact remains any mechanical device can will be damaged through misuse. Especially if you tell a bunch of 18 year old kids this is an unstoppable truck. It is better to tell them look this truck can run fine in these conditions in this configuration and if you want to run off road in these conditions engage these features so the truck can handle it. Training training training is all it takes. Beyond that you really cannot help if people misuse the truck.

SasquatchSanta

"Slide #131

IHMO This is more about Aristotle and Epicurus discussing the mechanics of ancient Greek Eudaimonism than it is about lockers on deuces and a miriad of tangents that the author so skillfully takes his followers/readers on. It's not about MVs is't about authoritatively leading the flock. Different people have different ways of finding happiness. IMHO

I got out of this and another thread many posts ago. Participating required too much emotional rent. Lurking and reading the posts is entertaining BUT --- when you're on stage too long it makes for bad theater. In other words, too much popcorn gives everyone gas.

No more popcorn for me.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

IHMO This is more about Aristotle and Epicurus discussing the mechanics of ancient Greek Eudaimonism than it is about lockers on deuces and a miriad of tangents that the author so skillfully takes his followers/readers on. It's not about MVs is't about authoritatively leading the flock. Different people have different ways of finding happiness. IMHO

I got out of this and another thread many posts ago. Participating required too much emotional rent. Lurking and reading the posts is entertaining BUT --- when you're on stage too long it makes for bad theater. In other words, too much popcorn gives everyone gas.

No more popcorn for me.
I actually don't do much with ancient philosophy, the questions in those fields are far less erudite then most suspect. Personally, it the philosophy of mind, language, epistemology and logic that interest me.

No authority at all in question. You take authority to be surprise at the US's lack of foresight in designing the truck. That is all I stated surprise and my plan to alter the basic power train and performance to my requirements. Which is what I thought Hot-rodding is all about? You take something you like but want to add a little more of this or that too it so it better suits your needs or tastes. If I'm mistaken then perhaps everyone that puts a 454 in a Jeep CJ7 is too or everyone that puts a Supercharger on a Camaro or Mustang. Or the guys putting 395/85R 20's on their trucks are they not hot rodding the truck in some sense? Yes.

The fact is the only authority that you perceive to be questioned is that of your clique. The fact is that only reason you dislike my posts is that I have temerity to disagree with groups' decision that the M35A2 is the ultimate off road machine in its class. That is why this thread which should have been a non-issue is 13 pages long. No other reason.

EO2NMCB

I actually don't do much with ancient philosophy, the questions in those fields are far less erudite then most suspect. Personally, it the philosophy of mind, language, epistemology and logic that interest me.

No authority at all in question. You take authority to be surprise at the US's lack of foresight in designing the truck. That is all I stated surprise and my plan to alter the basic power train and performance to my requirements. Which is what I thought Hot-rodding is all about? You take something you like but want to add a little more of this or that too it so it better suits your needs or tastes. If I'm mistaken then perhaps everyone that puts a 454 in a Jeep CJ7 is too or everyone that puts a Supercharger on a Camaro or Mustang. Or the guys putting 395/85R 20's on their trucks are they not hot rodding the truck in some sense? Yes.

The fact is the only authority that you perceive to be questioned is that of your clique. The fact is that only reason you dislike my posts is that I have temerity to disagree with groups' decision that the M35A2 is the ultimate off road machine in its class. That is why this thread which should have been a non-issue is 13 pages long. No other reason.

Life is funny, Rolling_Eudaimonia. My grandfater went to school thru the 4th grade, and grandmother thru the 6th grade. They knew more than you will ever hope to learn in all your books.

Status
Not open for further replies.