• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why the Deuce Doesn't Have These I'll Never Know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SasquatchSanta

BTT (for those needing something to read or need to feed a splitting headache)
KENNY!!!!

That was a terrible thing to do!

For that I'll have to revive my best response to this thread:

When I got back from Vietnam in the spring of 69 a buddy and I decided that we were going to roll a keg of beer from the Pitcher House in Hermosa Beach California to Dirty Nelly's Pub in San Antonio Texas. We sobered up on the outskirts of Anaheim and decided to go to Disneyland instead.
:-D

chicklin

Wow, this has been long and entertaining and I know I shouldn't reply, but hey, everyone else is doing it :)

I'm not sure how you expect to afford all this re-engineering when you've stated many times you're tight on cash. But whatever, that's your personal business.

If you can afford it, why not just put selectable lockers in all three axles, buy some chains and be done with it? Leave the engine, tranny, t-case and winch alone. I could see maybe moving the winch to the rear or somehow adding a rear winch, but otherwise it all sounds like a pipe dream. These few small additions would be (relatively) cheap and easy to install and would get you anywhere you want to go.

If you actually think you're going to take this trip, I would worry a lot more about planning for the trip than working on my truck. The truck is going to break down and the truck is going to get stuck, probably at the same time and probably multiple times. Spend your money on spare parts, fuel, food and warm clothes.

Oh, and to answer your original question (for the thousandth time) they didn't put lockers on them because it wasn't part of the requirements. They also didn't put jet engines, tank tracks, missle launchers and wings on them because it wasn't part of the freaking requirements.

well you could just weld your back diffs one of my buds did that on his 6x6 never goes on road much and never on pavement sure is tempting to do when he drives by you and gives you a pull not so good for turning but real nice in mud id put lockers on mine if i could afford it

ODdave

with all this work why not buy a marine corps 5ton and slap a turbo on it? more power and stronger axles W/lockers........ not to mention mass amounts of gear reduction are great for rock crawling, not for mud. dito M1075 on the tires, NDT = no desierable traction

emr

Whew, I have to say something, i went back abit, and i read the poster is still going to do this wierdness because it is going to be publicity for Biodeisel...:wink:...Gee thats a brain storm no one has thought of yet,Bio never got off the ground already and noone wants to farm 2/3's of this country to fill the requirements, sorry, but it is alot of fun for a hobbiest , but as for negative answers, one must aquire a thicker skin to keep posting and expect to be pocked fun at/with, This is an imature idea, and will never happen, The ideas are a bunch of dreams out loud, but unfortunatly those on this site deal in reality. And I am all for fireing away , in good taste of course, not mean but then again, go for it, In another post people are saying , gee it seems mean lately, like I said one needs a thicker skin and handle it and then be man enough to reply in kind, thats all,yeesh someday i will read the rest of this sillyness and really laugh, but for now, i will just say, the idea and truck improvements are a wet dream as i see em, I am one of those that wish's my truck was slower and lower geared, I just can never understand why some one would want to take such an awesome truck and go fast and lose all that is was built to do, but that is a thought I have from other posts, Funny, with the amount of changes I read to be done to the truck, if it were a serious idea, the knowledge of pursuing it would already be there and this post would be about the completed trip, not the wet dream...I needed to say that again, LOL....:-D

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uh, how about him having a "green dream" instead.

I thought that maybe Kenny revived this thread to see us bob it around for a while, instead of letting it sink into oblivion. Therefore I am posting this worthless reply to bump it back to the top.

Rick

onegmjack

I just read all 23 pages,just hate to think what I miss,By reading this.I though about painting my truck but only going to paint the surface rust.I want it just like I bought it,not going to change a thing.It is unique just the way it is.Dwight

panshark

About this North-to-South trip...How many of us have been down to Panama? I spent a lot of time there a while back (2001, 2002) I've seen where the 2-track road ends in Panama. Look at a road map of that region--the 2 continents do not have connecting roads. (The Pan-American Highway, aka La Interamericana; another pipe dream.) It seems like they decided to let the Darien Gap serve as a natural disease barrier. And while we're on the subject of crossing borders (is it legal to take decommissioned military vehicles out of the country?) the question arises: are your negotiating and spanish linguistic skills enough to talk your way into a dozen countries? Gringo + big green truck + huge tank with questionable liquid sloshing around inside = there's no way in Haiti they will let you set course to pass through capital cities, which also happen to sit in the Interamericana. Sorry.:roll:

saddamsnightmare

January 9th, 2010.

If this thread were on paper, we would have cut enough trees down so Rolling_Eudamonia could navigate from Alaska to the Horn through clear cuts....:twisted:.
If he and his deuce survives the winter roads in Pittsburgh,Pa, where I believe he said he is going to school, everything north of Panama should be a piece of cake, and the drug lords will take care of him in Columbia..... Biodiesel... just convert the truck to solar power, which is good near the Equator by duplicating the ConDec experimental deuce which used motors in the hubs....

Good luck and happy hunting....

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

Unforgiven

2cents

1. Biodeisel is not "Green." With the depleted topsoil in the U.S., the crops require heavy fertilization. The production of fertilizer is based on petroleum. Yes, it is. This is fact. The biodeisel enthusiasts like to ignore that little tidbit. Hence, to produce biodeisel requires the extraction of crude oil from the ground. And we are talking about a LOT of petroleum to make the fertilizer. And don't forget the petroleum to ship the crude oil, run the combines, & transport various materials.

2. If this is a publicity stunt for biodeisel &/or a documentary film there should be plenty of funding available for you to super-modify a whole fleet of trucks years in advance of the expedition. There is probably funding out there for a whole fleet of the commie trucks from Russia as well. Even better, make a 50/50 caravan of M35's and Russian trucks. That would surely get you funding for a documentary film.

3. Not to sound mean or racist, but have you ever travelled to any Latin American countries? Remember, you need special permission to carry weapons. Even small personal-protection weapons are a red-tape nightmare & probably not suited for a "Green" documentary. I don't think the Discovery Channel wants to air a Mexican-standoff between the highway bandits & the BioGreen Caravan. It kind of defeats the whole Peace & Love, save-the-planet message. Therefore, you will be defenseless in countries that really, deep down, don't like gringos. And God forbid if you happen to have blonde or red hair. I urge you to fly on vacation to a few of these countries first. Wander off the beaten path for a few days.

4. ANY stock vehicle or any product of any kind for that matter can be modified with $$$. I don't see a problem. In fact, many of your suggestions make sense. However, as pointed out repeatedly, these "upgrades" were unnecessary for the military at the time. Or at least that's what the normal answer is.

5. Why weren't the trucks ready for fighting in conditions found in Russia? That is a valid point. Maybe the entire Cold War was just a charade designed by Globalists to keep humanity divided & distracted while they swindled us of real earnings/property & seized all remaining reins of power. Who knows except for those at the top? Maybe airpower or tanks were considered more tactically important.

6. What's wrong with air lockers? Nothing, but price. The new ARB's + allow shafts should handle your proposed specs. And certainly an international caravan would carry spare parts. And if Discovery Channel is tagging along then a parts gopher is just a Fed Ex day away.

7. What's wrong with education or philosophy? Nothing, as long as it is truly education. But, like all facets of society, the educational curriculum can be manipulated to suit those in power. Personally, I believe 90% of today's curriculum is useless. It trains young Americans to avoid critical thinking. Perhaps that is by design. Do-As-You-Are-Told-And-Don't-Question makes for a fairly efficient, and certainly controllable workforce.

8. The total cost of what you propose could probably buy two or three of those Russian trucks. Why not concentrate on finishing your Ph.D. early? Then use your salary as a new professor of philosophy to fund your hobby? Again not to be mean, but a Ph.D. in philosophy could probably be completed in 3 years with just a little extra effort. Then you have 2 years of salary to devote to the expedition.

9. Why not have a dedicated wrecker truck follow up the rear of your caravan? Then half of the modifications you propose would be unnecessary. Look in the classified section. There are HUGE trucks with all sorts of cranes, winches, and various bells, whistles, and levers that are already built & ready to go. Unless, that is, this is going to be a one vehicle expedition. In which case I hope your family has lots of ransom money sitting in the bank.

NRG

I just read the whole 24 pages. Do I get an award or something? My head hurts.

I will add though, because there was some discussion about the winch on the M35 and its capabilities. I recently pulled 36,000lbs with it no sweat. One of those gravel dump trucks was trying to transfer the rear dump bed into the main dump bed and his gearing broke. The second dump bed full of dirt and gravel had only budged about 1ft before it broke. The truck driver said he just got done weighing that second trailer ( I think they call it a pup trailer? ) and it was just over 36,000lbs. I winched that 36,000 lbs into that main dump bed of his truck with no issues.

NRG

NRG, I know what you mean, I read through this post 2 weeks ago and my head hurt!

You Sir, deserve a salute! I salute you and anyone else who has read this whole thread!

Caution: Reading this whole thread may cause temporary blindness the next morning. In some rare cases permanent blindness was reported. Common side effects from reading this thread are: Rage, Bewilderment, Frustration, Diarrhea, Vomiting, Loss of sexual drive, Nose flaring, Headaches, Loss of hair, The palming of the forehead, Increased gray hair, Uncontrollable beating on your chest with your fists, and man grunting. If you have these common side effects for longer than a week, please consult with your doctor immediately. Talk with your doctor to see if reading this thread is right for you. And thank you for reading this thread. -NRG

Last edited:

roscoe

You Sir, deserve a salute! I salute you and anyone else who has read this whole thread!

Caution: Reading this whole thread may cause temporary blindness the next morning. In some rare cases permanent blindness was reported. Common side effects from reading this thread are: Rage, Bewilderment, Frustration, Diarrhea, Vomiting, Loss of sexual drive, Nose flaring, Headaches, Loss of hair, The palming of the forehead, Increased gray hair, Uncontrollable beating on your chest with your fists, and man grunting. If you have these common side effects for longer than a week, please consult with your doctor immediately. Talk with your doctor to see if reading this thread is right for you. And thank you for reading this thread. -NRG

:shock: :confused: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks