• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will 31 Gal tank fit in M1009

richey5663

I dropped the tank in my new M1009 and figured since its pretty rusty to go ahead and replace it while it is out. I see specks for a 27 gal tank. The parts store had a 25 and 31. I saw another post where they discussed using a 25 gal tank. Is it possible to use a 31 gal tank or is that going to be a PITA? What would I have to change or modify? Thank you all!!!

shkira

I guess it should work. There is space between the stock tank and the skid plate. Probably adequate for the extra 4 gals. Risk would be that you wouldn't be able to get the skid plate back on but how you use the vehicle would decide if you needed to keep the plate. My thought was to do the same mod. Haven't done it yet since all is in good shape for now. I looked at the LMC catalog and I would think that you would need to swap out the sending unit. Unfortunately, looks pricey that kind of scared me off. I don;t know how smart it would be to get a sender out of the junk yard (if you can find one).

Let me know what you decide and whether it is worth going through all the trouble and expense for an extra 50 - 60 miles of range.

Don;t know whats up with the 25 gal tank. Maybe that is the civilian capacity?

Good luck

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check LMC trucks. YOU CAN actually fit the 40 gallon DIESEL tank out of a Suburban of like year between the frame rails.

You WILL have to purchase a longer strap and longer bolts. But for the skid plate, it does fit, you again just need longer hardware.

Buddy of mine did it. Said it worked great. And it almost doubled his range.

The 31 gallon should drop right in. Again, check LMC trucks. These fuel tanks are fairly standard in width, its the height (depth?) that decides how much fuel will fit.

Blazer fuel tanks

Suburban fuel tanks

2deuce

I had a 40 gal tank on craigslist for $50 and it wouldn't sell. Had it there because I thought it wouldn't fit my M1009. Sounds like I'm glad it didn't sell. I was selling it complete, straps, hoses, pickup, sending unit ...everything. I think I'll try to get in there this weekend. Thanks

watkinssr

I wonder if it would fit. If I came across a 40 gal cheap, I would probably go for it, but I don't do a lot of off road. The idea of being able to really stock up before the next oil spill appeals to me.

richey5663

I looked at the measurements an they are same for the 25 and 31 Gal tanks but the 31 is 2 inches taller. I measured under the truck and it should fit. I also ordered the sending unit for the 31 (my 27 gal was rough anyway). Now waiting for parts to arrive and I will let you know how it goes. Right now I have $250 wrapped up in it. Thank you all. Pat

mutt1966

Make sure you check what side the fill spout is on got a 31 gal. replacement for my civi Jimmy spout on the wrong side I think LMC was one of the ones I had checked with

2deuce

I like the idea of 40 gallons. It should save $. I went to Idaho last weekend and had to pay a .20 premium for buying it there. It adds up. The downside is hauling around the extra weight but you don't need to fill it unless you are going to use it.

1986Blazerk5

I like the idea of having a bigger tank so you have the range, and i agree with 2deuce you can fill up in a state that is cheaper before you get to a state that has a more expensive tax or just a higher price

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found measurements for the 40 gallon tank (35"x28 3/4"x13 1/8") and the 31 gallon tank (28 3/4"x 28 1/8"x 12 3/4"). If anyone has success with the 40 gallon tank install please post your results/challenges and most importantly, part numbers.

watkinssr

I found measurements for the 40 gallon tank (35"x28 3/4"x13 1/8") and the 31 gallon tank (28 3/4"x 28 1/8"x 12 3/4"). If anyone has success with the 40 gallon tank install please post your results/challenges and most importantly, part numbers.
all the part numbers are in the civy blazer parts book, in the faq thread.

2deuce

The 40 gal tank out of a suburban I parted out definitely does not fit. I don't know if there was a 40 gal tank made especially for blazers but I can say for certain the suburban tank is too big. The glove box sticker on the Burb stated there was a 40 gal tank in that truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks