• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will 5 Tons be less expensive next year?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
But supposedly they are lined up in quantity. Not just one here and one there. All the ones that do not meet the requirements of the oshkosh rebuild contract or ones that are deemed non repairable.
You should review those closed auctions, if some of those are non-repairable or non-rebuildable, then I'll be a monkey's uncle. :eek:

Edit: Take the second one for example. Course it sold for $46K, but it only had 4233 miles. I'm guessing that's close to, or if not, original miles.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
So the actual question/point is the M939s peaked and the unarmored FMTV's beginning..... I know the answer but just making a point not a question.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
But certain models do not meet the requirements of the rebuild contract with oshkosh trucks. I don't know why though. I think the prices they are fetching now will come down significantly in the future once the rarity is gone. I don't know if I could get used to driving that cab forward.

ichudov

Here's something that I learned in life. If a valuable thing is ridiculously cheap, you should buy it right now, and not wait until it might be even cheaper. It may or may not become even cheaper, but it does not matter very much. A good purchase will pay for itself in any case.

In our case, close-to-scrap-value 5 tonners are ridiculously cheap. I just bought a "rebuilt 120 miles ago" M923A2 with 13k miles for $3,400 plus BP. How much better will it get? I do not know and I do not care.

I put all my money in stocks in late 2008-2009 and I decided that I do not care if they go lower from that point, it actually did not matter. The purchase of stocks guaranteed such big fat dividends, that the price of the stocks going forward was completely unimportant. It turned out that they rose very quickly, but if they did not, I would not care.

Same thing about 5 tonners: great trucks are going for funny prices. Take advantage of the prices now. It will not matter in 5 years what prices will do next year.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Oshkosh trucks. They manufacture the het, hemmit , marine 7ton truck among others. They have a contract with the government to rework a large quantity of lmtv trucks. I don't know the exact specifics of it. I was told by a reliable source that not all lmtv trucks meet the contract specifics and those trucks may possibly be sold off. I believe the earlier trucks were made by Stewart and Stevenson and the trucks are now made by oshkosh. Maybe they want to get rid of all the S&S trucks. Only time will tell.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the pleasure of meeting the retired president/ceo Truck Center Jerry Connolly upon purchasing a slave cable. We spoke for hours about military trucks and he gave me good insight into how things are going behind the scenes at GL since he was now at their board meetings. I can say there was a 36 month backlog of 939's waiting to be surplussed by GL as of this past June before the sequestration happened. This backlog does not include other military vehicles or trailers and does not include 939s that have not been turned over from the DoD. The flow of trucks we are seeing right now is the plateau of the "surge" and is expected to stay constant for the next year at least. The limiting factor in all this is the number of personnel needed to manage the property on both Gov and GL's sides. For those who haven't been watching Liquidity Services inc they bought up a company called Truck Center to help curb this as they are not looking to hire any new personnel on the GL side.

For those wanting to buy a 939 series 5 ton there is still plenty of time. Prices are as good as they get right now and should be stable for the foreseeable short term. With the sequester ripples still effecting the system this may stretch the time until they are depleted but guarantees there wont be any larger amounts coming out. Those seeking deuces or 800 series trucks are going to be disappointed as they are nearly picked clean from the system with only stragglers left..but we all knew this already. There are lots of m105 and HMMWV trailers (to a lesser extent) in the system but take a lower priority.

As for FMTVs they were undecided on how to approach them when I spoke to Jerry. The issues were red tape from DoD and anything coming out now are indeed those vehicles not meeting spec for the rebuild contract, that is all he knew about them. GL wants to sell them im sure, it keeps their business going and the money flowing, but the decision making lies higher up the chain. It's a guarantee anything that has had armor on it is to be scrapped with no wiggle room. They wont even contest it.

Last edited:

2mtrucks

Lots of them popping up on Craigslist around here and not selling quickly. Also have seen some selling at the wholesale dealer-only auto auctions I attend every week and they are not bringing the money they were. I think the retail interest has diminished maybe due to the onset of winter, the upcoming holidays etc. I have seen several listings for M939 series trucks where the purchaser obviously bit of more than they could chew, i.e. insurance, mechanical woes, CDL laws. zoning and HOA rules and so forth. Might help keep prices low.

Al Harvey

I do not understand what you are saying. To a scrapper, copper harnesses are worth around $1.40 per lb. If they are so valuable to you, why can't you pay more than that for them? If they can be sold for usable, why don't you bid more than scrap value?
Because the companies have a lot more capital then I have and GL sells the harnesses in large scrap lots. Last I saw one passed $30,000. I don't look anymore after that, I'm afraid of accidentally bidding and accidentally clicking confirm. lol

LMTV's have been selling here and there already on GL. (two last week, and I think two or more come up for auction this week) And GSA in two massive lots. No mutilation required.
Unless someone try's to create a name for themselves by deeming the LMTV unsafe in civilian hands, then they should slowly available as the Army downsizes and upgrades the vehicles they have.

As for the 5 tons, ichudov has a really good point. If you can afford one, then go ahead and buy a decent priced one. Yes the price COULD come down next year or the price COULD increase, no one knows for 100% sure. The best advice is for you to look at your budget and when you can afford one, find one you like and buy it. Just remember that the purchase price is not the only cost to owning any military vehicle.

CARNAC +1

rosefarm

Think about it......what is the downside risk from today's prices? At the rate our government is printing money, I would much rather have a lot full of mobile steel than a worthless paper "asset." I cannot drive a dollar, nor haul rock or dirt with a dollar. Our money is worthless. Buy a truck and enjoy it!!

rosefarm

Sure. The Fed is "printing" money by purchasing approximately 1 trillion dollars worth of bonds yearly. These bonds are kicked back to banks and turned into assets which they can subsequently loan out 9-1. Effectively becoming the ability to loan 9 trillion dollars. This is the third year of quantitative easing, so about 27 trillion paper dollars....fiat currency, has been injected into the economy. That is what has supported the stock market. Nowhere else to go with the money. Also, that is why interest rates are so miserably low for people who were savers. All this money is decimating the value of the dollar. The supply of these trucks is finite. There will only be so many. They cannot print them, and they sure aren't going to build any more of the 939 series. The government can print all the money it wants, and the more they print the less value it has. It is a hidden tax on everyone. If I want to have an asset that has some upside appreciation potential.... or even just hold its value, I prefer to put paper money in these trucks.

Rifleman

Stoner63, i hope be driving over to Barstow MCAS the first week of the new year to see some family members. So time permitting if you see a truck there you would liked checked out let me know what the lot number is and i will give you a full report along with photos.

Stoner63

Thanks so much! Cali is to far away for me in Alabama. I do appreciate the offer. I went to CSM Davis's place this week end and he took me to camp Shelby to see the trucks that GL has there. WOW!!! Acres of M931's and M923's! We saw a lot of really cool trucks that will never be for sale unfortunately (Armored and Up Armored) They even have several Duce's that will be coming up next year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks