• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch help

sac

Hello all,
I just bought a winch off a truck that has been sitting to quite awhile and doesn't run, I didn't get a chance to look at it real good. My problem is tonight I got a chance to check it out and I can't get the drum lock latch to pull out, so I'm wondering if it is just seized in place or if there is an internal problem. I think it might be an older model because the lock latch looks different than most I see.IMG_20150209_181424533.jpg
Thanks Scott

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The drumlock is very simple. Try unthreading the hex head out of the housing. It's just a pin with a spring inside a bolt.

That is an older pin style. It could be as old as 1953.

Hainebd

They get rusted. I broke mine banging on it. I did just unscrewed. Then took apart, wire brushed, never size and reassemble. I welded the lever back on. I still have trouble pulling out if I don't rock by hand the drum. That winch is awesome. Be sure to change oil and seals leak so if it is off the truck just reseal before you put on your truck. Have fun.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And when you have it apart, be sure to use plenty of never sieze on the fasteners. Having a winch to add, is a real good indicator that your well on the way to a green addiction. Welcome!

sac

IMG_20150210_183019454.jpgOK while I was taking the nut off the threaded rod snapped, never found a spring behind the nut. Is the stud suppose to come out now, it moves 360 with vice grips on it but not in and out very well.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I mention quite often that things are easily found in the TMs.

Most of the tme these comments are not well accepted or appreciated.

Here is why I refer to them so often.

Here is a pic of the item in question(new style, but pretty much the same thing).

It's hard to explain what a picture can, so here is the picture from the TM.

Attachments

sac

I mention quite often that things are easily found in the TMs.

Most of the tme these comments are not well accepted or appreciated.

Here is why I refer to them so often.

Here is a pic of the item in question(new style, but pretty much the same thing).

It's hard to explain what a picture can, so here is the picture from the TM.
I do have that picture but mine didn't have the spring and I can't tell by the picture but it looks like the stud should come out with out taking anything else apart? Am I correct so I don't break anything else. Thanks Scott

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The threaded portion is simply "headless" now that the hex head broke off.

You will need to destroy what is left, to get an easyout in the hole or drill it out(after getting the pin and spring out).

The whole assembly should have unscrewed out.

sac

With out sounding stupid what is holding the shaft in? I would assume it was #3 in picture.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, I misread. I thought you said the nut portion broke.

If it threaded out, then nothing should be holding the pin and spring in.

It must be corroded.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may need to pull the end off the winch, to drive it out from the drum side.

sac

You may need to pull the end off the winch, to drive it out from the drum side.
Thank you now that I know nothing else is holding it in there I will work on it more, or like you said pull the side off. Thank you again.

sac

That helps, since the spring wasn't in there maybe it set back on the shoulder in the hole. Thanks again now I know where to get a pin and maybe a spring.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thing that is known to happen: The pin is engaged to keep the drum from rotating, but overlooked and the winch is powered in or out, shearing/bending the pin. That could be part of the hangup.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should come out without too much effort. Maybe some coils of a corroded spring are still holding it?

This is how the whole assembly looks like...

And here are the dimensions of that bolt, if you want to make a new one...

G.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a thin hex still in. That must be removed then the balance will come out. The spring is behind that thin hex. The TM are great.
The balance ?? We are talking about the drum-lock -bolt or -plunger assemby, right?

Thin hex?? Besides that slotted bolt part #7538725 (item #3 in post 7), there is nothing else to hold that assy. in place. Not on every 10K-Garwood I have worked on.

TM are great ?? Well, yes, most are... But not so much where that winch is covered; there is more than on mistake.
What TM are you using, specifically?

G.

Last edited: