• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch line capacity

Guruman

Not so new member
I have a complete winch setup coming (hopefully) off a 5-ton truck. Anyone know what the line capacity is on these? I'm thinking of replacing the aged steel cable with some nice synthetic, probably 1/2". I don't want to order line, only to find out it only fills half the drum.

Also, related, any line recommendations/sources?

ramdough

I have a complete winch setup coming (hopefully) off a 5-ton truck. Anyone know what the line capacity is on these? I'm thinking of replacing the aged steel cable with some nice synthetic, probably 1/2". I don't want to order line, only to find out it only fills half the drum.

Also, related, any line recommendations/sources?
I thought of doing that, but that would be very expensive. Also, usually synthetic line does not use roller fare leads, not sure why. You could also buy a smaller synthetic line at the same strength and get a much longer line…. But that is also expensive.

If you do pull the trigger…. Please tell us about it….. I am very curious on how that works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guruman

Not so new member
I thought of doing that, but that would be very expensive. Also, usually synthetic line does not use roller fare leads, not sure why. You could also buy a smaller synthetic line at the same strength and get a much longer line…. But that is also expensive.

If you do pull the trigger…. Please tell us about it….. I am very curious on how that works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, this info has me looking at a 600 foot spool of 3/8 amsteel. $1800, but it would be epic.

As for the rollers and synthetic... synthetic does fine as long as the rollers are not nicked up. I figure I'll pull the old rollers and touch them up, or turn them down on a lathe and sleeve them with UHMW poly. I also am considering making new aluminum fairleads to replace the two sets of rollers at the front and rear.

If I get real ambitious, I might re-engineer it to a Fores Winch setup, but I won't know if that even feasible until the winch stuff shows up.

Ronmar

I think it would be fairly easy to shift the stock config to a Foers. I am going to install an electric like that, using a fixed shiv at the back in front of the rear fairlead and just pull a loop out and use a donut shiv and a soft shackle at the rear. Having had to move winches front to back a time or two, it will be nice not to have to do anything too fancy to rig for a pull on the opposite end, not even crawling around in the mud to rig the line from front to rear…

Guruman

Not so new member
I think it would be fairly easy to shift the stock config to a Foers. I am going to install an electric like that, using a fixed shiv at the back in front of the rear fairlead and just pull a loop out and use a donut shiv and a soft shackle at the rear. Having had to move winches front to back a time or two, it will be nice not to have to do anything too fancy to rig for a pull on the opposite end, not even crawling around in the mud to rig the line from front to rear…
This is exactly what I was thinking, only I was looking into making or modifying a snatch block that could just be un-pinned for use, and re-pinned for storage.

What I'm not sure of is the line routing from one end or the other. getting from the winch to either the front or rear was how it was designed, but the line that returns the whole length would have to get around the winch itself somehow. I have not figured that out yet.

coachgeo

I think it would be fairly easy to shift the stock config to a Foers. ...
Gave up on Foers. The complexity and lack of tools and knowledge to engineer myself and too unknown by the avg. good welder/fabricator to make up a Foers installation for me.. Now might change my mind if I can find a way to clone Ronmar and make him a shop slave....

granted also gave up on that cause I got lucky on some 24v 18000 lb warren winches which were over kill for hummers... but with a snatch block likely fine for our trucks. Will mount one fixed on each end and make a slide in mount(s) to put third to assist either end or either side (in a perfect world that is.... aka.... years down the road before any of it gets installed)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks